possibility of GOM action later in week? (is INVEST 98L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
fwbbreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

possibility of GOM action later in week? (is INVEST 98L)

#1 Postby fwbbreeze » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Levi Cowen thinks it's a possibility.

From @Tropicaltidbits on Twitter....
The back-door front bringing me rain right now needs to be watched next 3 days in GOM, despite no model support (yet)
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re: possibility of GOM action later in week?

#2 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:02 pm

The same ripe conditions that would have been available for Cristobal had it managed to get into the Gulf are still available for anything else that can slide into the Gulf, so definitely we should keep a close eye on it.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby NDG » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:02 pm

18z GFS shows a vorticity from the back door "cool" front tracking westward across the GOM with an UL anticyclone on top of it, could get interesting, GOM waters are very very warm but it shows it to track westward fairly fast may not be enough time over water to get organized.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:14 pm

If a cold front goes over the Gulf of Mexico, thunderstorms can form and they can become tropical in nature.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:28 pm

The GFS seems to be starting to show something weak but nothing more at this time but is showing more than the 18Z run
0 likes   

LaBreeze
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#6 Postby LaBreeze » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:55 am

Hurricaneman wrote:The GFS seems to be starting to show something weak but nothing more at this time but is showing more than the 18Z run

What is the 18Z run showing, Hurricaneman? A local met briefly mentioned that we may need to keep an eye on this "system" moving out into the GOM. Just wondering and thanks in advance, Hurricaneman.
0 likes   
Audrey (1957), Carla (1961), Hilda (1964), Betsy (1965), Edith (1971), Carmen (1974), Danny (1985), Juan (1985), Andrew (1992), Lili (2002), Rita (2005), Gustav (2008), Ike (2008), and stuck in the eye of Iniki (1992) while vacationing in Kauai.

Not an official forecast by any means.

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#7 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:07 am

The 00z CMC is doing some weird voodoo near the Texas Coast with this but it doesn't make any sense on the graphics so I'm not going to bother with posting it until it gains consistency.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby TexWx » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:30 am

If this moisture wasn't just hauling it to the west, something may have a chance to get going.
0 likes   

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby TexWx » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:45 am

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:07 am

Is not the piece of energy over the north central gulf coast right now that needs to be watch, the piece of energy over the FL Peninsula this morning is the one that needs to be watched over the next couple of days as it moves westward across the GOM. Not much from the GFS & Euro but at least it passes the threshold of possibility for development by the crazy CMC.
0 likes   

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby TexWx » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:11 am

NDG, are you referring to the little "blow up" in the link I posted above, off the Florida Peninsula?
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#12 Postby Portastorm » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:20 am

Whatever it is worth, JB is tweeting this morning that the NW Gulf is the area to watch this coming week from Wednesday onward. Referenced a piece of Cristobal's vorticity breaking off and has moved into the Gulf.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby crownweather » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:28 am

RPM model seems to be picking up on this potential as well. This map is valid for Thursday morning.

0 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#14 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:50 am

TexWx wrote:NDG, are you referring to the little "blow up" in the link I posted above, off the Florida Peninsula?

Somewhat, there's trough of low pressure from the central gulf coast east towards central FL with an elongated vorticity at h85, it would need to consolidate quickly for it to do anything, it only has about 3-4 days over water before moving inland over TX.
0 likes   

perk
Category 3
Category 3

Re: Re:

#15 Postby perk » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:01 am

NDG wrote:
TexWx wrote:NDG, are you referring to the little "blow up" in the link I posted above, off the Florida Peninsula?

Somewhat, there's trough of low pressure from the central gulf coast east towards central FL with an elongated vorticity at h85, it would need to consolidate quickly for it to do anything, it only has about 3-4 days over water before moving inland over TX.

That's plenty enough time over the steam bath GOM.
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby tropicwatch » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:07 am

Nice blow up of showers in the northern gulf this morning.

0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#17 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:17 am

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:19 am

This setup seems similar to that of TS Edouard from 2008.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#19 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:21 am

Both Euro and GFS shown some increased vorticity moving from this location SW into the gulf before moving west into southern TX or northern Mexico. The Canadian develops this into a low pressure area.

My interpretation of the models, anyway. :)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Steve » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:22 am

Yeah, we threw this out a few times beginning thursday night (see below) around 9pm when models were showing faint echo(e)s of something crossing the Gulf this week. Initially it appeared to be the South or South Central Gulf. But I guess there is an eddy of some kind between the summertime upper high and the backdoor front. For those who insist we are in a winter pattern, sure, there is trough fairly far south, though it's been an awfully long time since we saw a winter backdoor front in SE LA. Usually in the winter, our weather comes from somewhere between West and North. Since the isobar ripples were farther south, I'm guessing something maybe following the trough splitting off would be the place to look (if this blowup wasn't want was being referenced in the models last week).

Also slightly interesting in the ensembles plot is the clustering of solutions in the SE Gulf. Several other models show isobars crossing the south/south central Gulf though not 96L. I'm wondering if a piece of energy (albeit mostly insignificant) doesn't show up as at least an area of disturbed weather early next week. There isn't much on the map, but several models do hint at something minor. Just something to watch for if 96L were to stay East of Florida.

Friday also from that thread:

As for the gulf system, we threw that out there yesterday. Several models showed rippled isobars, although not anything significant, crossing the south/south central Gulf. It didn't appear to be 96L as that was generally east of Florida in those runs. I figured it was remnant wave energy or possibly part of the forerunning system. It was just something to watch for To see if there was any energy down in the Gulf Monday. Increased shower chances for coastal Texas? Possibly. Stay tuned.
Last edited by Steve on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”