possibility of GOM action later in week? (is INVEST 98L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

Re: possibility of GOM action later in week?

#61 Postby stormlover2013 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:14 pm

looks like the gom could be hot the next couple of weeks
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#62 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Even more interesting. I do wonder what Wxman 57 thinks....hummm...He has to be loving today. Hottest day of the year. Lucky him. Ugghhhh
Last edited by Tireman4 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:16 pm

:uarrow: Yeap, all the other models show the same thing of even a stronger system moving into the western gulf next week.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#64 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Well, the GOM is primed and ready for a cyclone to tap into it. If anything gets in the GOM with the right enviromental conditions, it could get intereresting.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby drezee » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Right now it is nothing by outflow boundaries...
The only hope is the NW corner which might feedback over time if it doesn't also collapse
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#66 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:04 pm

stormlover2013 wrote:http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWFTROPATL0.5_12z/ecmwfloop.html

euro has something cooking next tues by corpus

To clarify, that is 8 days from now and not the system we're currently watching (but we should keep an eye on that possible next system (97L?) as well)
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#67 Postby Roxy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Sounds like Alicia or Allison…I'll be watching.
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#68 Postby tailgater » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:38 pm

This Not a tropical model but this system won't be tropical to start most likely.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#69 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Still no mention at 8 PM TWO.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby Steve » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Had the sound off, but Carl Arredondo showed some future cast/sim radar model through Friday. Motion of the waves of showers across the northwestern Gulf was cyclonic. It was superimposed over a tropical wave symbol. By Friday, there was some kind of closed isobar at the Central TX coast. It kinda got hung up and looked to be organizing (if not intensifying) at landfall as many storms hitting Texas do. It might have amounted to a closed low, but it really didn't look like much.

I would say that it didn't rain today but instead of upper 90s, it's mostly cloudy and breezy and has one of the tropical feels.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Luis, the NHC 8:05 PM EDT Tropical Weather Discussion for the Gulf did make mention of the global models suggesting cyclogenesis in the Western Gulf mid week albeit weak and moving inland across NE Mexico/South Texas this.weekend.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#72 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:10 pm

srainhoutx wrote:Luis, the NHC 8:05 PM EDT Tropical Weather Discussion for the Gulf did make mention of the global models suggesting cyclogenesis in the Western Gulf mid week albeit weak and moving inland across NE Mexico/South Texas this.weekend.

Yes indeed.

THE WIND FIELD SURROUNDING THE SURFACE TROUGHING IS
FORECAST TO SHARPEN THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS INTO TUESDAY
WITH THE GLOBAL MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATING CYCLOGENESIS OCCURRING
ACROSS THE WESTERN GULF WATERS BY EARLY WEDNESDAY. ANY LOW
PRESSURE AREA THAT DOES MATERIALIZE IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN WEAK
AND CONTINUE DRIFTING WESTWARD INTO INLAND NE MEXICO AND
SOUTHERN TEXAS LATE THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

#73 Postby TexWx » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Grrr, and pulling all the rainfall down there with it.
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby PTrackerLA » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:50 pm

While the heaviest storms went just east of the airport here I've recorded 2.5" of rain at my house this evening so definitely a lot of energy to work with. Hopefully our neighbors in Texas can pick up on some much needed rain with this system.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#75 Postby Steve » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Might want to check out radar, and you are 36 hours from any cyclogenesis per mention in the discussion. There is liable to be plenty of instability, and as you probably know, weaker systems in the Western Gulf tend to have a lot of rain with an onshore flow north of any circulation. It would appear to be more than just a few coastal showers. Looking your way from the nws s ms valley radar, http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly.php

And it's only Monday.
0 likes   

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

#76 Postby TexWx » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Wow, I didn't see that northern area...
0 likes   

Senobia
Category 1
Category 1

#77 Postby Senobia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:13 pm

I don't think there is enough of this left over water to develop.

That said, we had some crazy winds blow through SETX this evening...I mean crazy winds. :double:
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby PTrackerLA » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:15 pm

Looks to be some slight hints of a surface circulation (probably just mid-level) on infrared satellite and radar south of Grand Isle. It looks fairly weak but I can detect some turning with modest convection firing in that vicinity. Just might be something to keep an eye on overnight. I was talking to my dad earlier about tonight's storms and the hints of a gulf system in the models and we both recalled that huge MCS that rolled through in July 1997 which eventually became Hurricane Danny. Not saying I think anything like that will occur but that was pretty neat to witness. I remember Derecho used to post that home grown gulf storms from MCS's ala Alicia and Danny were very rare and I can't recall seeing one since the 90's. Not sure about how many form from troughs that stall in the GOM but those seem fairly rare as well.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#79 Postby Steve » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:16 pm

We should probably give things another look tomorrow. Breck ran some model before Vipir that showed again a system moving in around Corpus late week. On it's heels is another low moving toward the LA Coast on Friday. That appears to be connected at some level to the southern side of Cristobal. More likely it is just some energy caught in the flow. 2nd Gulf surge also indicated by NAM 24hr precip run. It's not the model thread but a 3rd surge comes in at the end of the GFS toward the S TX coast. That model storm is the most substantial by far. So I guess the Gulf will be a place to watch things bubble up over the next few weeks. I'm not saying any of these 3 systems will go tropical, but I figured they were all worth a mention.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:17 pm

PTrackerLA wrote:Looks to be some slight hints of a surface circulation (probably just mid-level) on infrared satellite and radar south of Grand Isle. It looks fairly weak but I can detect some turning with modest convection firing in that vicinity. Just might be something to keep an eye on overnight. I was spoke with my dad earlier about tonight's storms and the hints of a gulf system in the models and we both recalled that huge MCS that rolled through in July 1997 which eventually became Hurricane Danny. Not saying I think anything like that will occur but that was pretty neat to witness. I remember Derecho used to post that home grown gulf storms from MCS's ala Alicia and Danny were very rare and I can't recall seeing one since the 90's. Not sure about how many form from troughs that stall in the GOM but those seem fairly rare as well.

I think home grown Gulf storms from MCS's are likely more common.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”