Area of Disturbed Weather in SW Caribbean

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Area of Disturbed Weather in SW Caribbean

#1 Postby gatorcane » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Well time to pull the trigger on this thread. We have an area of disturbed weather in the SW Caribbean that has developed in an associated with lowering pressures across the area. The NAVGEM model in particular has been showing some possible development in about a week looking at some runs from the past several days and finally the GFS model has latched onto the area and is showing a low forming and moving NW towards the NW Caribbean with some possible development by next weekend.

Saved Carribean IR loop:

GFS model, MLSP 144 hours showing the low in the NW Caribbean:

NAVGEM, 120 hours with a low in the NW Caribbean:
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Area of Disturbed Weather in SW Caribbean

#2 Postby SFLcane » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:04 pm

(Giving Florida Something) still going add it...

0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby gatorcane » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Here is how the 18Z NAVGEM run ends with the low moving slowly north along the eastern coast of the yucatan, similar to the GFS but since it is over land some, it doesn't ramp it up. If you loop the full run, the origin of this low is from the area of disturbed weather that is currently in the SW Caribbean.

Full loop:
https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cg ... t=Tropical

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby NDG » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Currently lots of shear in this area, including mid level shear the most disruptive for tropical systems. Perhaps lowering a bit in 72 hrs but this area still has not much support for development from King Euro which if anything shows the FL Peninsula to stay protected by a trough pattern setting in over the next 7-10 days if not longer because of the -NAO,-AO and +PNA.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby gatorcane » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:48 pm

There is some 850MB vorticity present in the SW Caribbean this evening:

0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby fci » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:21 pm

I think Levi talked about this area in his Tropical Tidbits yesterday and said he thought this would end up in the Western Gulf and models showed a lot of meandering of a system.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts are just my opinion and are most likely not backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Bottom line is that I am just expressing my opinion!!!

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Is it me or does the 0zGFS try to close something weak east of Nicaragua at 60hrs or am I crazy
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8 Postby LarryWx » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:Is it me or does the 0zGFS try to close something weak east of Nicaragua at 60hrs or am I crazy

The MU is crazy, not you. ;) Actually, I see nothing of note/exciting on the 0Z MU though hour 126 fwiw. I will be taking the MU with a tremendously large grain of salt until further notice when it doesn't have Euro support, especially in the W. Caribbean. It had ~30 runs over an 11 day period (and ~20 runs in a row!!) for a SW Caribbean genesis by 10/10, whch turned out to be another total flop. I'm going to treat it like it is on crack in future similar situations until the model is modified.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Sanibel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:52 am

We'll see if this area breeds development after Gonzalo clears out. It is west of all the troughs and steering currents that have sent storms out to sea this year.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:17 pm

12Z NAVGEM sends the SW Caribbean area NW then N with development and here is how the run ends at 180 hours (development starts much sooner, around 4-5 days from now). The 12Z GFS is developing something on the EPAC side instead.

0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:38 pm

I am noticing a spin in the clouds in the extreme SW Caribbean. Shear is high though for sure. It looks like the NAVGEM starts to move this area NW soon out ahead of the Central CONUS/GOM trough sweeping through. But the other models move the area into Central America with no development and/or develop something in the EPAC instead.

Right now the NAVGEM is the only model I see showing development so looks like the outlier as of the 12Z runs for the area in the SW Caribbean.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Sanibel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Appears to be some kind of bully synoptic suppressing development in the southern Caribbean and keeping it from moving north.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:46 pm

I am noticing some broad cyclonic turning centered around the yellow X I drew on top of the latest SAT image of the area. If that area can move NW and stay offshore Nicaragua as the NAVGEM suggests, we could see some possible development. Once the trough digs into the Eastern CONUS, it may be enough to nudge it more NW though likely not enough as the rest of the globals suggest now. Plus, the shear is supposed to relax some the next few days.

Link to full JAVA loop where you can zoom in on the area:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/carb/loop-vis.html
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”