R.I.P. Jim Leonard 1950-2014

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
blp
Category 5
Category 5

R.I.P. Jim Leonard 1950-2014

#1 Postby blp » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:37 pm

I never had the pleasure to meet him, but I saw several of his videos through the years. The man was a pioneer in storm chasing and a legend. He will be missed.

FB tribute
https://m.facebook.com/groups/593969417395695/

http://www.cyclonejim.com

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leonard_(photographer)
Last edited by blp on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: R.I.P. Jim Leonard 1950-2014

#2 Postby cycloneye » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:44 pm

One of the best chasers.Rest in peace his soul.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby FireRat » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:00 pm

So sad to hear, thanks for posting this. :(

He was also one of my favorite storm chasers, I can't believe he passed away so soon. His videos will immortalize him forever IMO.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Stormhunter27
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4 Postby Stormhunter27 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 am

Hey all, thanks for posting this.

Jim was a bit of a friend of mine and I chased with him a few times in both the Alley and in hurricanes. It was Jim that guided myself and my chase partner to Gulfport for our intercept of Hurricane Katrina. We were talking to him on the phone and he said "Whatever you do, don't go south of the I-10!" just as we were passing southbound under the highway...

We ended up at the Hancock Bank parking garage and we had Jim convinced that it was an awesome spot and he tried to get over to us, but got held up by road closures and ended up riding out the 'cane in Slidell.

My wife and I got to visit him at his place in the Keys and we had a good laugh about what might happen the next time a big hurricane hammered his house. All he was interested in was that he had all the video spots set and ready to go.

He will be sorely missed.

M
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby chaser1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:55 am

It's been about 6 years since last seeing Jim down at his 'Key's house for the annual Chaser's BBQ. I'll miss his excitement for the hope of an active chase season, and certainly miss reminiscing over the many good times and past chases. Rest in Peace Jim
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”