Expert forecasts for 2015 N Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#61 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm

What would it take for a 0/0/0 season? What kind of conditions?
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#62 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:34 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:What would it take for a 0/0/0 season? What kind of conditions?

I would say a Super El-Nino to spread crazy shear, and some super SAL episodes to spread suffocating dry air that would extend from the MDR to Africa.

And to stop those baby miniature storms/sub-tropical storms, we would need cold SST's in the Northern Atlantic for most of the season.

You'll also still have to worry about those East coast gulfstream storms.

Really hard.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert forecasts for 2015 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#63 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:02 pm

Its almost impossible to get a 0\0\0 season as in the recorded history there has never been one and also there's always a somewhat favorable area in the basin at some point during the season even in the worst conditions
0 likes   

CaliforniaResident
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#64 Postby CaliforniaResident » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:28 pm

I am predicting a 4/0/0 for this season yet one hurricane making landfall in the U.S.
Guess how that would happen?
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#65 Postby ninel conde » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:11 am

a hurricane will form over lake superior?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#66 Postby gatorcane » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:26 am

Though not a scientific rebuttal, we still can't ignore the fact that years ending in 5s have featured at least one hurricane hit for the United States going all the way back to 1935 (1955 featured Ione which looks to have weakened just before landfall in the Outer banks). Wxman57 brought this point up a few months ago and it is interesting indeed.
Last edited by gatorcane on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#67 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:26 am

ninel conde wrote:a hurricane will form over lake superior?

Hes saying a Hurricane is going to hit California or Hawaii if I'm guessing right
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#68 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:27 pm

gatorcane wrote:Though not a scientific rebuttal, we still can't ignore the fact that years ending in 5s have featured at least one hurricane hit for the United States going all the way back to 1935 (1955 featured Ione which looks to have weakened just before landfall in the Outer banks). Wxman57 brought this point up a few months ago and it is interesting indeed.

I have a funny feeling for some reason that this year will break that interesting trend. If what everybody is saying on how hostile and unfavorable the Atlantic basin is is true then we very well could have a good chance of being spared from any significant hurricane impact(s). A weak to moderate impacting hurricane like Arthur(2014) still isn't impossible IMO though.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#69 Postby Ntxw » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:38 pm

We'll have to wait and see, there was a lot of heat and fuel in the NWCarib last year but nothing every materialized with the warm ocean temperatures. As mentioned come summer the waters will be plenty warm enough to support even the strongest canes, even if the anomalies are cool. What dictates is the atmosphere, only if it allows.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#70 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Ntxw wrote:We'll have to wait and see, there was a lot of heat and fuel in the NWCarib last year but nothing every materialized with the warm ocean temperatures. As mentioned come summer the waters will be plenty warm enough to support even the strongest canes, even if the anomalies are cool. What dictates is the atmosphere, only if it allows.

The Caribbean was quite hostile as a whole last season(as well as the year before). I expect with a strengthening El Niño that it will be no different if not more hostile compared to the last two seasons.

The GoM as well may be a dead zone once again if the current Subtropical jet doesn't relocate or weaken, even the famous for quick spin ups BoC I feel may be shutdown. The only real concerning spots may be off the East Coast/West Atlantic, and the Subtropical Atlantic. The MDR looks to be on vacation this year and should remain a living desert all season.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts=WSI forecast is up

#71 Postby cycloneye » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:28 am

The private company WSI made their forecast and is below average.Read it at first post.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:51 pm

tolakram wrote:Weatherbell April update

Named Storms: 7-9
Hurricanes 3-5
Major Hurricanes: 1-2
ACE 65-80% of normal

So no change from March, I think he just tweaked impact areas.

and they're pretty much saying that the northern gulf to North Carolina are at high risk, and Joe Bastardi is mentioning such storms as Audrey in 57 and Helene in 58 so its definitely something to watch for

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#73 Postby ouragans » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:42 pm

The Weather Channel's forecast in out: 9/5/1
0 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris, Luis & Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22, Philippe '23, Tammy '23
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#74 Postby cycloneye » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:45 pm

ouragans wrote:The Weather Channel's forecast in out: 9/5/1

Weather Channel and WSI are the same as they are partner companys.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

weatherwindow
Category 4
Category 4

Re:

#75 Postby weatherwindow » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:03 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:What would it take for a 0/0/0 season? What kind of conditions?

Suggest we examine 1914...1/0/0...as an analog...can anyone pull up basin conditions and any other factors which may have a bearing on the slowest Atlantic season on record???

A quick search yielded the following: 1914, according to the BOM.au, is one of the 13 strongest El Nino events since 1900...negative AMO approximately -.8degC SSTA...neg PDO
0 likes   

SouthFloridian92
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#76 Postby SouthFloridian92 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Regarding the 1914 season, I would take storm seasons prior to the satellite era with a grain of salt. It was virtually impossible to record all the storms that formed during this time period. I also don't believe that a 0/0/0 season is likely to ever happen, though I could be wrong. It would be interesting.
0 likes   

weatherwindow
Category 4
Category 4

#77 Postby weatherwindow » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:09 pm

SouthFloridian92 wrote:Regarding the 1914 season, I would take storm seasons prior to the satellite era with a grain of salt. It was virtually impossible to record all the storms that formed during this time period. I also don't believe that a 0/0/0 season is likely to ever happen, though I could be wrong. It would be interesting.

While I certainly agree that storms could have been missed, those figures are reanalysis vetted. However regardless of a couple of missed storms, 1914 would certainly rank very near the bottom in terms of activity. Relative to Crazy's question, the ocean/atmosphere conditions present in 1914 may have relevance to the factors attendant to a hypothetical 0/0/0 season...do you see my direction here?
Moderators...sorry for the OT discussion :oops:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#78 Postby wxman57 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:59 pm

weatherwindow wrote:
SouthFloridian92 wrote:Regarding the 1914 season, I would take storm seasons prior to the satellite era with a grain of salt. It was virtually impossible to record all the storms that formed during this time period. I also don't believe that a 0/0/0 season is likely to ever happen, though I could be wrong. It would be interesting.

While I certainly agree that storms could have been missed, those figures are reanalysis vetted. However regardless of a couple of missed storms, 1914 would certainly rank very near the bottom in terms of activity. Relative to Crazy's question, the ocean/atmosphere conditions present in 1914 may have relevance to the factors attendant to a hypothetical 0/0/0 season...do you see my direction here?
Moderators...sorry for the OT discussion :oops:

Reanalysis is only as good as the available ship data. The main shipping routes were north of the main development region. Typically, there were very few ships south of 30N between the Caribbean and Africa. It's estimated that at least 2-3 tropical storms (or greater) were missed in the early 1900s. Some years more, some less, even with the reanalysis. Short-lived storms were particularly prone to being missed.

As for comparing atmospheric data from 1914 - there was just about zero data available out over the water. No upper-air data and only a very few ship reports.

As for the current season, all indicators are still suggesting a much quieter than normal season. I'm thinking around 8 named storms, 4 hurricanes and 1-2 majors. Just a bit above Klotzbach/Gray. Could be fewer than that.
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby ninel conde » Fri May 01, 2015 5:27 am

LC final forecast is 14/7/3 and he says few US threats with an early oct peak.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#80 Postby LarryWx » Fri May 01, 2015 7:25 am

ninel conde wrote:LC final forecast is 14/7/3 and he says few US threats with an early oct peak.

LC is expecting El Niño to weaken during summer and later cool down to the neutral negative category. That's why he's got an active season being forecasted.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”