How strong the 2015 El Nino will be at peak?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

How strong the present El Nino of 2015 will be at peak?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:54 am

Don't rise above +0.5C.
3%
Between +0.6C and +0.9C.
10%
Between +1.0C and +1.3C.
20%
Between +1.4C and +1.6C.
20%
Between +1.7C and +1.9C.
17%
Between +2.0C and +2.2C.
20%
Between +2.3C and +2.5C.
3%
Between +2.6C and +2.8C.
No votes
Between +2.9C and +3.0c.
No votes
Greater than +3.1C.
7%

Total votes: 30

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

How strong the 2015 El Nino will be at peak?

#1 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:54 am

For a second year in a row I am making this poll question to sample the members about the most important topic weatherwise that will make the most headlines and discussion in the weather community. Let's see what the members think the present El Nino will be at it's peak in 2015. Poll will close on April 30 at 11:54 AM EDT.

Voted for what I see now is for El Nino to peak this year between +1.0C and +1.3C.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby LarryWx » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:42 am

Luis,
Thanks for running this poll. What measure are you using to determine El Nino's max? Are you using NOAA weeklies, the official ONI (trimonthlies), or something else? The ONI peaked at +0.7 this past El Niño though that ran somewhat into 2015 (Nov-Jan). This raises another question. When you say 2015, do you really mean you're looking for the peak that goes through the winter of 2015-6 (keeping in mind that some El Nino's don't peak til Jan/Feb.)?

ONI showing +0.7 C peak:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ears.shtml
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#3 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:12 pm

LarryWx wrote:Luis,
Thanks for running this poll. What measure are you using to determine El Nino's max? Are you using NOAA weeklies, the official ONI (trimonthlies), or something else? The ONI peaked at +0.7 this past El Niño though that ran somewhat into 2015 (Nov-Jan). This raises another question. When you say 2015, do you really mean you're looking for the peak that goes through the winter of 2015-6 (keeping in mind that some El Nino's don't peak til Jan/Feb.)?

ONI showing +0.7 C peak:

Yes.The El Nino that is right now that I expect to peak this year.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#4 Postby LarryWx » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:37 pm

cycloneye wrote:

ONI showing +0.7 C peak:

Luis,
Thanks. Are you using the ONI to determine the peak, which peaked at +0.7 in NDJ in this last El Nino?

ONI: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ears.shtml

Or are you using weeklies, which peaked at +1.0 in this last Nov? The weeklies have peaked higher than the three month based ONI for all El Nino's since the weeklies started, which makes sense since the weeklies are more volatile:

Weeklies: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/wksst8110.for
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Re:

#5 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:26 pm

LarryWx wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

ONI showing +0.7 C peak:

Luis,
Thanks. Are you using the ONI to determine the peak, which peaked at +0.7 in NDJ in this last El Nino?

ONI: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ears.shtml

Or are you using weeklies, which peaked at +1.0 in this last Nov? The weeklies have peaked higher than the three month based ONI for all El Nino's since the weeklies started, which makes sense since the weeklies are more volatile:

Weeklies: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/wksst8110.for

Using the ONI.
0 likes   

CaliforniaResident
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby CaliforniaResident » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:15 am

I think it will approach 4.5 by late September/early October!
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#7 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:11 am

CaliforniaResident wrote:I think it will approach 4.5 by late September/early October!

That is impossible. We are talking about ONI. It is almost zero percent possible that it would be like that. There would be no Kelvin Waves that could cause that kind of warming. And if it is a joke, it ain't funny.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Whoever said '"don't rise above +0.5C" and "between +0.6C and +0.9C" now lose :P as the current anomalies indicate +0.93C (rounded to +0.9C) over the Niño 3.4 region, and may even rise to Moderate Niño next Monday. :eek:
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:05 pm

BTW, cycloneye, how do I change my vote from "Between +1.4C and +1.6C" to "Between +2.0C and +2.2C"?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#10 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:28 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:BTW, cycloneye, how do I change my vote from "Between +1.4C and +1.6C" to "Between +2.0C and +2.2C"?

You can change your vote as I changed the settings.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#11 Postby LarryWx » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:17 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:Whoever said '"don't rise above +0.5C" and "between +0.6C and +0.9C" now lose :P as the current anomalies indicate +0.93C (rounded to +0.9C) over the Niño 3.4 region, and may even rise to Moderate Niño next Monday. :eek:

Xtyphoon,
Technically, that is not yet true (although the chances are going down a good bit). The reason it isn't technically true is that Luis said he's going by the ONI, which is the three month average rather than weekly or daily.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:57 pm

But it is highly unlikely. As the higher weekly anomalies prevail we also lose the lower anomalies earlier this year. Maybe a moderate by AMJ
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#13 Postby LarryWx » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:31 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:But it is highly unlikely. As the higher weekly anomalies prevail we also lose the lower anomalies earlier this year. Maybe a moderate by AMJ

I agree that it is highly unlikely and with the idea of moderate being possible as early as AMJ. We'll see.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: How strong the 2015 El Nino will be at peak?

#14 Postby tolakram » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm sticking with 1.0 to 1.3, but it may be close. :)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#15 Postby wxman57 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:59 pm

The poll leaves out a critical piece of info - what period of time are we predicting? A one-day temperature anomaly? A 3-month average? Those two can be quite different. For a short term (few days to a week) I would say +1.3 to +1.6.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby LarryWx » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:12 pm

wxman57 wrote:The poll leaves out a critical piece of info - what period of time are we predicting? A one-day temperature anomaly? A 3-month average? Those two can be quite different. For a short term (few days to a week) I would say +1.3 to +1.6.

Luis said that it would go by the warmest trimonthly (ONI) as opposed to daily or weekly and which could conceivably involve part of 2016 if the trimonthly peaks later than OND.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:31 pm

99% sure that ONI for FMA will be +0.7C
0 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#18 Postby Dean_175 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:31 pm

CaliforniaResident wrote:I think it will approach 4.5 by late September/early October!

That's impossible. Even if the zonal temperature gradient across the Pacific completely collapsed- the ONI would not reach 4.5C.
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#19 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:46 pm

The poll has the option (Greater than +3.1C) so anyone is free to vote on that option if they choose to. I also think +4.5C is real high but you never know what mother nature has instored.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#20 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:01 pm

cycloneye wrote:The poll has the option (Greater than +3.1C) so anyone is free to vote on that option if they choose to. I also think +4.5C is real high but you never know what mother nature has instored.

IIRC the 1997-98 had +4.6C anomalies for a week, but in a different region (1+2), which is much smaller.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”