32nd AMS Tropical Meteorology Conference

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

32nd AMS Tropical Meteorology Conference

#1 Postby RL3AO » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Details for the next AMS Tropical Meeting were announced today. Using the pattern from previous meetings, I was expecting this to be in Florida. Turns out I was a little off as it will be held in San Juan, PR next April.

https://www2.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/ ... teorology/

I'm still hoping to attend as I will be looking at grad schools and potential opportunities. Maybe I can also meet some of the blue labels there...
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: 32nd AMS Tropical Meteorology Conference

#2 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:59 pm

I checked ticket prices from Houston and got around $410, about the same as flying to Florida or California (maybe less). Hope we have the funds in our travel budget. I don't have anything to present at the conference, however.
0 likes   

ncweatherwizard
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby ncweatherwizard » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:18 am

Yeah...had heard for a while that this might be in San Juan, but was hoping they didn't go all that way. One of the organizers is at UAlbany though, and they've had a pipeline of new students headed up that way. Might have subconsciously had something to do with the location selection. Price isn't too bad, but it's a long haul from the West Coast. Will go if I can fund it.

RL3A0: PM me if you have some questions about grad school opportunities. I'm just wrapping my Ph.D. up this winter. You won't really find much at the tropical meeting as it's a pretty research-heavy meeting, but there are tons of grad school booths at the AMS annual meeting (in New Orleans this January) during the student conference.
0 likes   

BigA
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby BigA » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:24 pm

I think I'm going to go to the conference, but I'm not certain. I'm going to present research at the AMS conference in New Orleans in January (if my abstracts are accepted), so my presence at the tropical conference will be determined by consultation with my advisor. I'll keep you updated.
0 likes   

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby SouthDadeFish » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:14 pm

ncweatherwizard wrote:Yeah...had heard for a while that this might be in San Juan, but was hoping they didn't go all that way. One of the organizers is at UAlbany though, and they've had a pipeline of new students headed up that way. Might have subconsciously had something to do with the location selection. Price isn't too bad, but it's a long haul from the West Coast. Will go if I can fund it.

RL3A0: PM me if you have some questions about grad school opportunities. I'm just wrapping my Ph.D. up this winter. You won't really find much at the tropical meeting as it's a pretty research-heavy meeting, but there are tons of grad school booths at the AMS annual meeting (in New Orleans this January) during the student conference.

Are you saying UAlbany has had a bunch of new students from Puerto Rico? While the grad student population has grown rapidly, very few have been from PR. Anyway, I am excited for the location and the nice weather! :sun: 8-) I am planning on attending and hopefully presenting.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:29 pm

wxman57 wrote:I checked ticket prices from Houston and got around $410, about the same as flying to Florida or California (maybe less). Hope we have the funds in our travel budget. I don't have anything to present at the conference, however.

Sir, can people like me go?
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#7 Postby RL3AO » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:51 pm

I will be attending in New Orleans. I'll have to see about tropical.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby MGC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:26 pm

San Juan is a great town. Enjoyed myself both times I was there. If you go plan some time to see the town and PR......MGC
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:19 am

Tireman4 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I checked ticket prices from Houston and got around $410, about the same as flying to Florida or California (maybe less). Hope we have the funds in our travel budget. I don't have anything to present at the conference, however.

People like you? ;-)

Anyone can register and attend. You don't have to be a meteorologist. It's not cheap, though.

Maybe we'll run into Luis (cycloneye) while we're there?
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:35 am

wxman57 wrote:
Tireman4 wrote:

People like you? ;-)

Anyone can register and attend. You don't have to be a meteorologist. It's not cheap, though.

Maybe we'll run into Luis (cycloneye) while we're there?

Yeah, one time you told me ( in person) that folks like me weren't allowed in your building...LOL
0 likes   

emeraldislenc
Category 2
Category 2

#11 Postby emeraldislenc » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Sounds like it would be an interesting and informative meeting. :flag:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#12 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:14 pm

Many of the presentations are quite technical. There are usually 4-6 sessions running concurrently for the 4 days. You can sit in on an MJO session, or perhaps a modeling session, or maybe a session on air-sea interaction. I generally look for sessions that relate to forecasting. No presentation for me there this time.

Perhaps the S2K attendees could meet up with forum members from San Juan (like Luis) while we're there.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#13 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:50 pm

I won't be there, but I know I will be at the NWA meeting in October in Oklahoma City, and MAY also be at the AMS meeting in New Orleans in January.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#14 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Fortunately, I'll be there!
0 likes   

ncweatherwizard
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#15 Postby ncweatherwizard » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:53 am

SouthDadeFish wrote:
ncweatherwizard wrote:Yeah...had heard for a while that this might be in San Juan, but was hoping they didn't go all that way. One of the organizers is at UAlbany though, and they've had a pipeline of new students headed up that way. Might have subconsciously had something to do with the location selection. Price isn't too bad, but it's a long haul from the West Coast. Will go if I can fund it.

Are you saying UAlbany has had a bunch of new students from Puerto Rico? While the grad student population has grown rapidly, very few have been from PR. Anyway, I am excited for the location and the nice weather! :sun: 8-) I am planning on attending and hopefully presenting.

I guess I define "pipeline" a little too liberally, but my understanding (which might be incorrect) is that there is a bit more of a PR connection at Albany than there is at a lot of other schools--not that it takes much. Whatever the case, they're building an impressive program over there.

For those of you asking about the nature of things that go on at the tropical conference, you might find the National Hurricane Conference to be more interesting, although I've never been to one, so I can't say whether it's even a good meeting. Some more info is here: http://hurricanemeeting.com/
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”