? about Hainan

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Dave C
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Middleboro, Mass.(midway between Cape Cod and Boston)

? about Hainan

#1 Postby Dave C » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:07 am

Was wondering if they ever measured a pressure when it crossed over Ormac City?
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:15 am

It's Haiyan not Hainan

Pressure of Haiyan in Ormoc City was about 950 mb if I remember from the videos
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ? about Hainan

#3 Postby euro6208 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:23 am

Dave C wrote:Was wondering if they ever measured a pressure when it crossed over Ormac City?

Why Ormoc City? Do you have any family or friends there?
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Dave C
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Middleboro, Mass.(midway between Cape Cod and Boston)

#4 Postby Dave C » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:28 am

No. just curious.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:04 am

Friends and family lost a lot from the storm here in Ormoc :(
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby dexterlabio » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:28 pm

If I remember correctly the only readings that would support a sub-900 mb were measured in Guiuan and Tolosa, Leyte. Pressure in Ormoc City was as high as 950mb when the eye was passing a few kilometers off the city. If we were to believe those readings then it clearly shows how steep the pressure gradient of Haiyan was. The Navier-Stokes equation would tell us that a huge pressure difference would mean intense wind velocity.

I wish getting the best estimate of Haiyan's highest wind speed over landfall will be as easy as getting plot points or "windicators" along the track and getting the respective pressures and distance between these points, then using an effective equation derived from the Navier-Stokes equation to come up with the wind velocity in the eyewall (more like an interpolation). I know this sounds silly in the meteorological aspect because I am treating it like a basic fluid dynamics problem.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

hurricanehunter69
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby hurricanehunter69 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Man, that was a bad ass storm! I remember that morning looking at it make landfall on radar...I definitely felt a sense of dread for those poor people!
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:47 pm

The best estimated, which I calculated using the Schloemer equation relative to Tacloban pressures, is about 897mb when it made that landfall. Most likely it was a little lower when it was approaching Guiuan about 6 hours later - in the high 880s or low 890s.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#9 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:06 am

CrazyC83 wrote:The best estimated, which I calculated using the Schloemer equation relative to Tacloban pressures, is about 897mb when it made that landfall. Most likely it was a little lower when it was approaching Guiuan about 6 hours later - in the high 880s or low 890s.

Impossible. Ormoc never went below 920 mb maybe just 930

I went to the city last April fyi
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby euro6208 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:06 am

I'd say easily in the low 900's after it's landfall of sub -900 in Guiuan and Leyte....
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#11 Postby Alyono » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:47 am

don't think it was lower than Megi to be honest, though I believe it did have higher winds than Megi (and recon measured 175 kt SURFACE winds in Megi via SFMR)

When we had recon in 2008 and 2010, the pressures were very similar to Atlantic pressures. It is my belief, that typhoons do have for the most part a similar P/W as do Atlantic and EPAC canes. The exception would be for monsoon trough systems. However, the Atlantic also has a warped P/W for Caribbean monsoon trough systems like Wilma
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#12 Postby euro6208 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Alyono wrote:don't think it was lower than Megi to be honest, though I believe it did have higher winds than Megi (and recon measured 175 kt SURFACE winds in Megi via SFMR)

When we had recon in 2008 and 2010, the pressures were very similar to Atlantic pressures. It is my belief, that typhoons do have for the most part a similar P/W as do Atlantic and EPAC canes. The exception would be for monsoon trough systems. However, the Atlantic also has a warped P/W for Caribbean monsoon trough systems like Wilma

Do you have any images of Megi at peak of 175 knots?
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#13 Postby Alyono » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:32 pm

euro6208 wrote:
Alyono wrote:don't think it was lower than Megi to be honest, though I believe it did have higher winds than Megi (and recon measured 175 kt SURFACE winds in Megi via SFMR)

Do you have any images of Megi at peak of 175 knots?

you can go back through the NRL archives
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”