2015 Cyclones Retirement

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
bahamaswx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2015 Cyclones Retirement

#41 Postby bahamaswx » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:35 am

A man naps in what’s left of his house after Hurricane Joaquin hit the island of Long Island, Bahamas. Still a long way to go to repair the Dunmore Settlement.
October 23, 2015. Photo credit: Kendra Kurz

I sure would like to see Joaquin retired.
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#42 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:17 am

bahamaswx wrote:Image

I sure would like to see Joaquin retired.

Since you seem to live in the Bahamas, why don't you convey this opinion to whatever government agency there would send the request for retirement to the World Meteorological Association?
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:22 am

Typhoon Koppu should also be retired. Evidently shown in this image..

0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#44 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:22 pm

northjaxpro wrote:I am in the camp that Patricia most definitely warrants retirement. However, as pointed out by several of us, the WMO has not retired several powerful tropical cyclones in the past. It is quite striking how many have not been retired.

This season, I think Patricia and Joaquin both should be retired. But, we will see if the Bahamas, United States (indirect effects from Joaquin with the SC flooding), and Mexico enter their requests to the WMO for retiring each of them.

Joaquin is definitely a coin flip, since the Bahamas have never been in this position where they would be leading the retirement efforts due to the unusual track. As for Patricia, agreed that Mexico has good cases for and against it.
Last edited by CrazyC83 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#45 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:24 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Patricia might just going down the retirement route as well with the forecast.

If I replaced them, I would go with Jacinto and Paige, respectively.

I'd much rather see something like Jacob or Jason replace Joaquin and something like Perla, Pia, or Paz replace Patricia.

In most - but not all - cases, the ethnicity of the retiring name is maintained for the replacement name. Sometimes they do cross though.
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Re:

#46 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:20 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Patricia might just going down the retirement route as well with the forecast.

If I replaced them, I would go with Jacinto and Paige, respectively.

I'd much rather see something like Jacob or Jason replace Joaquin and something like Perla, Pia, or Paz replace Patricia.

In most - but not all - cases, the ethnicity of the retiring name is maintained for the replacement name. Sometimes they do cross though.

There is no rule about this and I don't think there are that many good examples of the "ethnicity" deliberately being maintained except when the over-polite Canadians came up with an entirely "Spanish" list to replace Juan.

Jacob and Jason are both just as much Spanish forms as English ones, by the way. Both of them occur that way in my Mexican name dictionary. And Patricia is also just as much Spanish as it is English (the masculine form of Patrick in Spanish is Patricio, so of course the feminine is Patricia) so there should be no objection to replacing it with a "Spanish" name even if one thinks "ethnicity" should be maintained.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#47 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Going storm by storm, here is how I would consider the retirement prospects of the 2015 storms:

Tropical Storm Ana

Case FOR retirement: Not really any
Case AGAINST retirement: Weak, forgettable early season storm
My probability of retirement: 0%
Verdict: :Door:

Tropical Storm Bill

Case FOR retirement: Not much, but did cause decent flooding
Case AGAINST retirement: Weak storm with modest impact
My probability of retirement: 2%

Tropical Storm Claudette

Case FOR retirement: None
Case AGAINST retirement: No land impacts

Major Hurricane Danny

Case FOR retirement: Not really any
Case AGAINST retirement: Essentially dissipated before reaching land, little impact

Tropical Storm Erika

Case FOR retirement: Severe damage and loss of life in Dominica
Case AGAINST retirement: Weak storm, little damage on other islands
My probability of retirement: 25%

Hurricane Fred

Case FOR retirement: Rare hurricane impact for Cape Verde
Case AGAINST retirement: Damage not extreme, Cape Verde not on committee
My probability of retirement: 5%

Tropical Storm Grace

Tropical Storm Henri

Tropical Storm Ida

Case AGAINST retirement: No land impacts (bye bye curse of I!)

Major Hurricane Joaquin

Case FOR retirement: Severe damage to several islands of the Bahamas, strong storm with loss of life
Case AGAINST retirement: Low population impacted, Bahamas untested in standalone retirement cases
My probability of retirement: 55%
Verdict: :Can: (it really could go either way though)

Hurricane Kate

Case FOR retirement: Not much of one
Case AGAINST retirement: Minimal land impacts

In the EPAC, there is only one storm that I see with a retirement case:

Major Hurricane Patricia

Case FOR retirement: Incredibly strong storm, extreme damage in some areas
Case AGAINST retirement: Low loss of life, hardest hit area mostly rural
My probability of retirement: 75%
Verdict: :Can:
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:27 am

:uarrow:

Joaquin did not directly impact the United States. However, two major events associated with Joaquin tied to the United States should help lead the cause to retire Joaquin's name with the WMO in my opinion. The first major event was the huge plume of moisture which fed from Joaquin that bought the severe flooding to South Carolina, which really impacted many in that region. Also, the tragic sinking of the El Faro cargo ship in Joaquin's northwest eyewall, with 33 people onboard losing their lives, including 28 Americans, will also spur the United States to get the Bahamian government to lead in the effort to get Joaquin's name retired in my view. The El Faro was based right here in Jacksonville. All together, over $100 million in total damages was caused by Joaquin across the Central and SE Bahamas.

Joaquin was the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone since Igor in 2010 and contributed to about half of the total ACE for the entire season in the basin. Joaquin's name should be retired!! It would be mind-boggling to me if this does not happen.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#49 Postby HurricaneRyan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:56 pm

Erika was the worst storm for one of those countries since Hurricane David. I think it might have a small shot at retirement
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#50 Postby Alyono » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:25 pm

I suspect Erika will be and Joaquin will not be retired
0 likes   

zeehag
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#51 Postby zeehag » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:37 pm

i hope they retire patricia.
was not fun to go thru once. second could be a charm from hell.
0 likes   
life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!

http://www.sksolitarybird.org

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby Buck » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:32 am

I think Erika and Joaquin should both be retired from the Atlantic basin lists. Yes, Erika was a weak storm and we've only ever retired one (massively impactful) tropical storm before, but Erika was a catastrophe in Dominica. It set the country back two decades economically. Definitely retire it. Same with Joaquin. A landmark storm. Don't let the low monetary damage total fool you... it is worthy of retirement in every since of the word. And the US might request it anyway, due to El Faro or any ties they see it having to the South Carolina floods.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#53 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:10 am

Buck wrote:I think Erika and Joaquin should both be retired from the Atlantic basin lists. Yes, Erika was a weak storm and we've only ever retired one (massively impactful) tropical storm before, but Erika was a catastrophe in Dominica. It set the country back two decades economically. Definitely retire it. Same with Joaquin. A landmark storm. Don't let the low monetary damage total fool you... it is worthy of retirement in every since of the word. And the US might request it anyway, due to El Faro or any ties they see it having to the South Carolina floods.

Does Dominica even request retirement for storms that much?
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#54 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:40 am

HurricaneRyan wrote:
Buck wrote:I think Erika and Joaquin should both be retired from the Atlantic basin lists. Yes, Erika was a weak storm and we've only ever retired one (massively impactful) tropical storm before, but Erika was a catastrophe in Dominica. It set the country back two decades economically. Definitely retire it. Same with Joaquin. A landmark storm. Don't let the low monetary damage total fool you... it is worthy of retirement in every since of the word. And the US might request it anyway, due to El Faro or any ties they see it having to the South Carolina floods.

Does Dominica even request retirement for storms that much?

Dominica IS on the committee, so they would be able to make a case. Given that it was their worst storm in decades, they probably don't have much history in retirement cases. https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/tcp/ ... r-Com.html

It makes me wonder, what happens if a country not on the committee gets devastated badly by a hurricane in the future - for example, Azores (Portugal), Guyana or Cape Verde? Would someone be able to make a proxy case?
0 likes   

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Buck » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:33 pm

That's a good question about the proxy cases. But even some of the countries on the committee, like Haiti, either haven't always sent representatives or simply haven't made a case for retirement when it was absolutely what should've happened.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#56 Postby HurricaneRyan » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:14 pm

When will the meeting be held?
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#57 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:36 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:When will the meeting be held?

April 21 to 26.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:19 am

I believe Joquin will be retired
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#59 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Still betting on Joaquin and Patricia, possibly Erika.
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#60 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Based on the US submission to the WMO today, Joaquin is recommended for retirement. Surprising the US is making the case and not the Bahamas though...

Proposed replacement names: Julian, Jorge, Jerrold or James (Jorge is my recommendation, to maintain ethnicity)

No mentions on the other names, but Erika would be up to Dominica and Patricia would be up to Mexico.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”