2015 Cyclones Retirement

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

2015 Cyclones Retirement

#1 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:37 pm

This is a thread that is always made, and now I will make my comments.

While it is unclear if the Bahamas will make the case (given that they historically get overshadowed by US or other impacts from the same storms), I do think Joaquin SHOULD be retired, given the extreme damage and historic nature there.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2015 Cyclones Retirement

#2 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:42 pm

For Atlantic storms, here are the chances IMO of the names being retired:

Ana - <2%
Bill - 2%
Claudette - <2%
Danny - 2%
Erika - 20%
Fred - 5%
Grace - <2%
Henri - <2%
Ida - <2%
Joaquin - 60%
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:12 pm

I would be stunned if Joaquin is not retired.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2015 Cyclones Retirement

#4 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:29 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:While it is unclear if the Bahamas will make the case (given that they historically get overshadowed by US or other impacts from the same storms), I do think Joaquin SHOULD be retired, given the extreme damage and historic nature there.

No word yet from the El Faro with 33 aboard.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby Alyono » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:50 pm

how was this any different from Frances for the Bahamas. In fact, Frances was worse as it also hit the populated islands. This one affected less than 10,000 people it appears

I'd say not enough
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#6 Postby HurricaneBill » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:01 am

Alyono wrote:how was this any different from Frances for the Bahamas. In fact, Frances was worse as it also hit the populated islands. This one affected less than 10,000 people it appears

I'd say not enough

One word: Paloma
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#7 Postby Alyono » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:53 am

HurricaneBill wrote:
Alyono wrote:how was this any different from Frances for the Bahamas. In fact, Frances was worse as it also hit the populated islands. This one affected less than 10,000 people it appears

I'd say not enough

One word: Paloma

One of many that had no business being retired
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:54 am

It is entirely up to whatever government meteorological agency exists in the Bahamas whether or not Joaquin gets retired (unless the USA decides that the South Carolina flooding is enough associated in people's minds with Joaquin for them to ask for its retirement.)

Paloma was retired because the Cayman Islands asked for it to be. Affected countries make their own decisions on this using their own criteria. As far as I know, the international committee that decides this just doesn't retire names unless an affected country specifically asks for it -- and I also don't know of any case where the affected country did ask when they did not retire a name.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:30 am

Since the World Meteorological Organization Naming Convention was established in 1950, there have only been five requests submitted by the Bahamian government to have hurricanes which impacted their country to be retired, which of course they did get retired:

Donna (1960)
Betsy (1965)
Andrew (1992)
Michelle (2001) impacted the Northern Bahamas
Jeanne (2004) impacted the Northern Bahamas

It is amazing that this list is not longer. So, Joaquin may possibly become the sixth storm to be requested by the Bahamian government. It depends on what their criteria is based. Gran87Wted the most populated areas of the islands were not severely impacted, and if they base their decision on that, then Joaquin may not get submitted by them. However the Central Bahamas region did have devastating impacts. Plus, the storm is about to impact Bermuda, and it is possible they could submit Joaquin' name depending on the impacts there in its aftermath.

I would put the odds of Joaquin's name being retired at this juncture at around 50-50. This could increase if Bermuda suffers major impacts.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#10 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:24 am

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:It is entirely up to whatever government meteorological agency exists in the Bahamas whether or not Joaquin gets retired (unless the USA decides that the South Carolina flooding is enough associated in people's minds with Joaquin for them to ask for its retirement.)

Paloma was retired because the Cayman Islands asked for it to be. Affected countries make their own decisions on this using their own criteria. As far as I know, the international committee that decides this just doesn't retire names unless an affected country specifically asks for it -- and I also don't know of any case where the affected country did ask when they did not retire a name.

Paloma was one of the worst storms ever for the Cayman Islands. They took a direct hit from a Cat 4 eyewall and two of their islands sustained catastrophic damage, even though no one was killed.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#11 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:25 am

northjaxpro wrote:Since the World Meteorological Organization Naming Convention was established in 1950, there have only been five requests submitted by the Bahamian government to have hurricanes which impacted their country to be retired, which of course they did get retired:

Donna (1960)
Betsy (1965)
Andrew (1992)
Michelle (2001) impacted the Northern Bahamas
Jeanne (2004) impacted the Northern Bahamas

It is amazing that this list is not longer. So, Joaquin may possibly become the sixth storm to be requested by the Bahamian government. It depends on what their criteria is based. Gran87Wted the most populated areas of the islands were not severely impacted, and if they base their decision on that, then Joaquin may not get submitted by them. However the Central Bahamas region did have devastating impacts. Plus, the storm is about to impact Bermuda, and it is possible they could submit Joaquin' name depending on the impacts there in its aftermath.

I would put the odds of Joaquin's name being retired at this juncture at around 50-50. This could increase if Bermuda suffers major impacts.

In that list, Michelle also hit Cuba even harder and the other four storms all hit the US very hard as well. This is an unusual situation here, which is why I would say it is a coin flip. There are few storms in history that had extreme impact in the Bahamas and little or no impact elsewhere. (Unless Bermuda gets devastated)
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12 Postby Alyono » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:31 pm

that means the Bahamas never submitted requests for storms such as Frances (which hit these same islands as a slow moving cat 4), Irene, Floyd, Lili (1996), Wilma, and Ike
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#13 Postby Hammy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:and I also don't know of any case where the affected country did ask when they did not retire a name.

I think I read some time ago that Haiti requested Gordon in 1994 to be retired after it killed over 1100 there, but it ended up staying on the list.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Hammy wrote:
Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:and I also don't know of any case where the affected country did ask when they did not retire a name.

I think I read some time ago that Haiti requested Gordon in 1994 to be retired after it killed over 1100 there, but it ended up staying on the list.

Dr. Jeff Masters, who is often quoted on this site, says that Haiti did not send a representative to the Spring 1995 WMO meeting and so no formal request for retirement was presented:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... 187&page=7
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby HurricaneBill » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:06 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Dr. Jeff Masters, who is often quoted on this site, says that Haiti did not send a representative to the Spring 1995 WMO meeting and so no formal request for retirement was presented:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... 187&page=7

If I remember correctly, wasn't Haiti going through a political crisis during 1994-1995?
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#16 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Patricia might just going down the retirement route as well with the forecast.

The following names are NOT available as a replacement name:

Male J names - Javier, Jerry, John, Jose, Juan, Julio

Female P names - Paloma, Patty, Paula, Paulette, Pauline, Pilar, Priscilla

If I replaced them, I would go with Jacinto and Paige, respectively.
Last edited by CrazyC83 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:10 pm

With the massive flooding that is anticipated across Mexico and Texas in the coming days which will be all attributed to potential Cat 5 Patricia after she makes landfall, yes, this cyclone 's name will most likely be retired.

Also, as you can see in my signature, you all know how I feel about Joaquin.
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#18 Postby HurricaneBill » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:18 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Patricia might just going down the retirement route as well with the forecast.

The following names are NOT available as a replacement name:

Female P names - Paloma, Patty, Paula, Paulette, Pilar, Priscilla

Don't forget Pauline, which is what Patricia replaced.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#19 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:51 am

Patricia looks like the first no-brainer retirement of 2015.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:28 am

Lando is now retired by PAGASA
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”