2015 Cyclones Retirement

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#21 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:50 am

CrazyC83 wrote:Patricia might just going down the retirement route as well with the forecast.

If I replaced them, I would go with Jacinto and Paige, respectively.

I'd much rather see something like Jacob or Jason replace Joaquin and something like Perla, Pia, or Paz replace Patricia.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#22 Postby Alyono » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:02 am

an intense hurricane striking Mexico is not automatic retirement. The preliminary damage reports indicate that may be back in 6 years
0 likes   

jaguarjace
Category 4
Category 4

Re: 2015 Cyclones Retirement

#23 Postby jaguarjace » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:38 am

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:I'd much rather see something like Jacob or Jason replace Joaquin and something like Perla, Pia, or Paz replace Patricia.

I agree, I really do want the name Jason to make an appearance somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere. I wasn't around when Cyclone Jason happened in the Australian region.
0 likes   
Owner of the Tropical Archive YouTube channel
Web Developer at Force Thirteen
Twitter/X : @force13_support

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#24 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:20 am

Alyono wrote:an intense hurricane striking Mexico is not automatic retirement. The preliminary damage reports indicate that may be back in 6 years

So far, I'm not seeing the expected catastrophic damage and casualty reports. Their President even says it wasn't as bad as expected.

May fall more to inland flooding damage before things start to add up.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#25 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:
Alyono wrote:an intense hurricane striking Mexico is not automatic retirement. The preliminary damage reports indicate that may be back in 6 years

So far, I'm not seeing the expected catastrophic damage and casualty reports. Their President even says it wasn't as bad as expected.

People said the same thing about Katrina shortly after it struck. Let's wait and see.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#26 Postby Alyono » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:44 am

Yellow Evan wrote:
WeatherGuesser wrote:

People said the same thing about Katrina shortly after it struck. Let's wait and see.

Not really. Everyone immediately knew Mississippi and southern Louisiana was wiped out from Katrina
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#27 Postby HurricaneBill » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Kenna caused far less damage than recent Mexican hurricanes and was still retired. Juliette (2001), Lane (2006), Jimena (2009), and Jova (2011) were all more damaging than Kenna.

Personally, I think an intense landfall actually increases Patricia's chances of retirement.
Last edited by HurricaneBill on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:24 am

HurricaneBill wrote:

Kenna caused far less damage than recent Mexican hurricanes and was still retired. Juliette (2001), Lane (2006), Norbert (2008), and Jova (2011) were all more damaging than Kenna.

Personally, I think an intense landfall actually increases Patricia's chances of retirement.

Patricia's name should and will be retired. End of debate!
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:10 am

Did some looking to get some references on this. Wondering if it was damage/casualty based or if they did it for 'historical' reasons like setting records. Can't find much of a pattern. So if MX doesn't request it?

Curious though as to why Knut was retired.

I see a few that were done for political reasons. And a couple that were done over name confusion/similarity.

Yet there have been very strong, record breakers and setters that were not retired.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#30 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:54 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:Did some looking to get some references on this. Wondering if it was damage/casualty based or if they did it for 'historical' reasons like setting records. Can't find much of a pattern. So if MX doesn't request it?

Curious though as to why Knut was retired.

I see a few that were done for political reasons. And a couple that were done over name confusion/similarity.

Yet there have been very strong, record breakers and setters that were not retired.

Knut's case may be the same as Fefa's as well, both names don't make sense and perhaps the crowd wom't take these seriously. Nobody wants a kick by a Knut :lol: Lol, seriously though it is a mystery, retired for no reason.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#31 Postby HurricaneRyan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:48 am

Would Texas request Patricia to be retired?
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#32 Postby 1900hurricane » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:03 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:Would Texas request Patricia to be retired?

I'd be very surprised if such a request was made. Despite the amounts of rain that were dropped (I myself recorded 9.16", and that was far from the most), impacts were fairly minimal. Really the only places that saw issues were around Corsicana, where over 20" of rain fell. For the most part, the heaviest rain fell over and near the D4 area, and the rain fell at a generally steady enough rate to where the ground could soak most of the rainfall up and allow the rest to drain away in the river systems. In terms of retirement, it's also worth noting that Patricia was just one piece of the puzzle that led to the large quantities of rainfall.

0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

SapphireSea
Category 1
Category 1

#33 Postby SapphireSea » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:22 pm

I believe Mexico/US will retire Patricia based on the fact that it was a record breaking storm in research. As far as I know - strength metrics have high weight for retirement due to recordkeeping; As well as the fact that I cannot think of any landfalling Cat 4+ not being retired.
0 likes   
Forecast Disclaimer:

Don't be stupid. Make your own informed decisions.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby Hammy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:54 pm

SapphireSea wrote:As well as the fact that I cannot think of any landfalling Cat 4+ not being retired.

Emily in 2005 was not retired despite making landfall in the Yucatan with 115kt winds, though there was heavy debate at the time that this was a bad decision.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#35 Postby Yellow Evan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:57 pm

SapphireSea wrote:As well as the fact that I cannot think of any landfalling Cat 4+ not being retired.

Tico 83 and Liza 76 weren't retired.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:00 am

Hurricane Edith made landfall near the Honduras/Nicaragua border in 1971 as a category 5 (pending reanalysis) and did not get retired.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

SapphireSea
Category 1
Category 1

#37 Postby SapphireSea » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:03 pm

I stand corrected on my statement; But it appears that for recordkeeping it may be retired. 70s was kind of mired by issues where perhaps the involvement of those countries were limited in terms of naming. Patricia (2015) will likely be the strongest for some time possibly 100 years. Retiring it now would reduce some confusion down the line.
0 likes   
Forecast Disclaimer:

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:13 pm

SapphireSea wrote: Patricia (2015) will likely be the strongest for some time possibly 100 years.

I have no idea what you're basing that on, but there could easily be several more in the next few years.
0 likes   

SapphireSea
Category 1
Category 1

#39 Postby SapphireSea » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:22 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:
SapphireSea wrote: Patricia (2015) will likely be the strongest for some time possibly 100 years.

I have no idea what you're basing that on, but there could easily be several more in the next few years.

It is most definitely 'possible' the fact that Patricia is the strongest in that basin may or may not last. Likely and possibly are not an absolute statement; If I were to state that I know for a fact then one could seriously cast doubt on what I said. In any case, a basin where the storm with lowest pressure was 902 (Linda) since recording started through 1997 has its record shattered by 25-27mb has a good chance to stand. For whatever reason it took in some cases up to 20 years for comparable storms to spawn (barring missed recons) but modern observations have shown that this is not the norm.

In any case its quite possible that they don't retire it. The most gawking contradiction to my "recordkeeping" rationale 97' Linda was also not retired despite reaching unseen depths as well. But, this was a Category 5 landfall; It depends on Mexico and the US to deem it fit to retire it (because it created scientific and damage and needs to be uniquely categorized by name).
0 likes   
Forecast Disclaimer:

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:33 pm

I am in the camp that Patricia most definitely warrants retirement. However, as pointed out by several of us, the WMO has not retired several powerful tropical cyclones in the past. It is quite striking how many have not been retired.

This season, I think Patricia and Joaquin both should be retired. But, we will see if the Bahamas, United States (indirect effects from Joaquin with the SC flooding), and Mexico enter their requests to the WMO for retiring each of them.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”