Format of NHC Graphical TWO Pages Redone

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Format of NHC Graphical TWO Pages Redone

#1 Postby abajan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:38 pm

2-Day Outlook
5-Day Outlook

Nice big maps. Not sure when this happened but I like it! :P
Kinda surprised the new design isn't responsive though. Then again, I guess that would defeat the purpose of having big maps.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:53 pm

I appreciate the NHC for doing its best to modernize. In this day of age, it's important that government agencies follow the trend in technology and upgrade.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby gatorcane » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:57 pm

I kindaof like it the old layout with the links along the left side. Right now you need to click an extra button to get to the satellite pages as an example: Data & Tools -> Satellite. I use that frequently. Of course I can always bookmark that page to avoid an extra click :)
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby WeatherGuesser » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Falls under the category of 'why?'.

There was nothing wrong with the old format. Change for the sake of change means nothing.

When some of the WFOs switched to this format, quite a few things stopped working and have never been fixed. Links were removed, not just hidden.

And remember, with the Government, even a small change like this is very expensive to us.

So I ask again .... why?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Format of NHC Graphical TWO Pages Redone

#5 Postby tolakram » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Horrible tablet / touchscreen support as well, and they didn't even use a modern javascript library like bootstrap to support multiple screen sizes or even jquery. I just don't get it. Even some of the font sizes are super tiny here on my desktop, and nearly unreadable on a tablet.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:58 am

tolakram wrote:Horrible tablet / touchscreen support as well, and they didn't even use a modern javascript library like bootstrap to support multiple screen sizes or even jquery. I just don't get it. Even some of the font sizes are super tiny here on my desktop, and nearly unreadable on a tablet.

What devices are you using?
Works fine on my Android devices. It's not fully touch compatible though.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby tolakram » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:27 am

Kingarabian wrote:
tolakram wrote:Horrible tablet / touchscreen support as well, and they didn't even use a modern javascript library like bootstrap to support multiple screen sizes or even jquery. I just don't get it. Even some of the font sizes are super tiny here on my desktop, and nearly unreadable on a tablet.

What devices are you using?
Works fine on my Android devices. It's not fully touch compatible though.

Both android phone and windows 8 tablet. I can get it to work but there's no excuse for this kind of design in 2015. :)

Free, open source. http://getbootstrap.com/
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”