Area near the Bahamas

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AJC3
Admin
Admin

Area near the Bahamas

#1 Postby AJC3 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:53 am

Just wanted to throw this out there...

While I don't think a TC will form in this area due to forecast strong upper tropospheric wind shear, the mass of convection well off the east coast of Florida is along a stalled frontal boundary, in an area of broad low level horizontal cyclonic shear. All of the global and mesoscale model guidance scoot this feature quickly off to the ENE, but then forecast a second weak low to form by late Friday night-Saturday Just off the southeast coast of Florida, over the northern Bahamas. It's more of a lower/subtropical latitude frontal low than anything else, however, I think there's probably some potential there for a brief invest.

Otherwise, there's nothing out there across the Atlantic really worth looking at.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Area near the Bahamas

#2 Postby psyclone » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:57 am

We really got hosed by Colin so I'm delighted with the tranquility.
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Nimbus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:16 am

That little pocket of leftover energy northwest of the tip of Cuba would have to migrate almost due east to get in the Bahamas?
There is too much shear in the northern gulf for anything to develop there.
0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby AJC3 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:07 am

Nimbus wrote:That little pocket of leftover energy northwest of the tip of Cuba would have to migrate almost due east to get in the Bahamas?
There is too much shear in the northern gulf for anything to develop there.

What I was alluding to was more of an in situ development. WPC actually has the weak frontal type wave forming over the SE peninsula. Again, like it's predecessor that I alluded to yesteday when it was east of central FL, this is very unlikely to develop, and in fact has even less of a chance to become a brief invest than I thought yesterday.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/basicwx/bawx_nav.php?imgtyp=ndfd&arrval=3&vtime=Sat_12Z&ptime=Sat_06Z&ntime=Sun_00Z
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby NDG » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:06 am

:uarrow: I would hate to call it a frontal boundary currently, is now more like a stalled surface trough ;)
0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#6 Postby AJC3 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:11 am

NDG wrote::uarrow: I would hate to call it a frontal boundary currently, is now more like a stalled surface trough ;)

Yeah, here in the office, we refer to these as "frontal troughs". Basically it's a former surface front that pretty much lost it's temperature and dew point discontinuity (or it's become very diffuse at best) and all that remains is some residual wind covergence.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby NDG » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:54 am

AJC3 wrote:
NDG wrote::uarrow: I would hate to call it a frontal boundary currently, is now more like a stalled surface trough ;)

Yeah, here in the office, we refer to these as "frontal troughs". Basically it's a former surface front that pretty much lost it's temperature and dew point discontinuity (or it's become very diffuse at best) and all that remains is some residual wind covergence.

Thank you for the clarification.
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby tropicwatch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:03 am

Late yesterday afternoon you could see a circulation on radar moving east over the Florida Peninsula. It is noticeable on visible satellite now.

http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/get-goes?satellite=GOES-E%20CONUS&lat=26.5&lon=-79&type=Animation&info=vis&numframes=8
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:05 am

psyclone wrote:We really got hosed by Colin so I'm delighted with the tranquility.

We didnt get much from colin but as previously thought we sure have ramped up the totals since weds and more on the way..

0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby floridasun78 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:45 pm

other post was delete .so you all think we may see low forming that area?
0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#11 Postby AJC3 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:18 pm

floridasun78 wrote:other post was delete .so you all think we may see low forming that area?

It appears to have already formed into a weak low. Your other post was deleted because you asked if a tropical low was going to form in that area, and it's already been stated that whatever forms in that area will not be a tropical cyclone (TC), but instead a frontal wave.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”