NOAA: GOES-16 Now in Orbit: Will eventually become GOES-E

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: NOAA: GOES-R is launched

#21 Postby tolakram » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:05 pm

Why in the world would they want to use it for GOES-W?
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#22 Postby wxman57 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:01 pm

tolakram wrote:Why in the world would they want to use it for GOES-W?

Remember, GOES-R is forecast to be placed over the U.S. for the next year for testing. Something could happen to either satellite during that time. They'll evaluate the status of GOES-W and GOES-E in about a year to determine which might fail first. If GOES-W is showing signs of failing, then GOES-R would be moved over the East Pacific to cover that area.
0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#23 Postby AJC3 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:19 pm

wxman57 wrote:

Remember, GOES-R is forecast to be placed over the U.S. for the next year for testing. Something could happen to either satellite during that time. They'll evaluate the status of GOES-W and GOES-E in about a year to determine which might fail first. If GOES-W is showing signs of failing, then GOES-R would be moved over the East Pacific to cover that area.

Would it? My guess would be that in the event of a failure of GOES-W (GOES-15), that GOES-14 would become the new GOES-W. A couple interesting scenarios would be if we wind up with up with 13/14/15/R up there and all functional in 2017 or functional 14/15/R/S birds in 2019. What happens then?

GOES-13 Launched 24 MAY 2006, began service as GOES-E 14 APR 2010
GOES-14 Launched 27 JUN 2009, in storage as an on-orbit spare
GOES-15 Launched 4 MAR 2010, began service as GOES-W 6 DEC 2011
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#24 Postby wxman57 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:28 pm

That's true, GOES-14 remains parked in orbit and could replace GOES-W if it fails. Hopefully, we'll get GOES-R out over the Atlantic for the 2018 season. For next year, it may be able to monitor the Caribbean and Gulf until it's moved east.
0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#25 Postby AJC3 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:36 pm

wxman57 wrote:That's true, GOES-14 remains parked in orbit and could replace GOES-W if it fails. Hopefully, we'll get GOES-R out over the Atlantic for the 2018 season. For next year, it may be able to monitor the Caribbean and Gulf until it's moved east.

I like that idea. It would be great, on an as-needed basis - better yet, routinely. Speaking of that, I wonder if NESDIS would actually be able to routinely operate 3 geostationary birds at once. I suspect congress might not go for that due to the the cost factor.

And I'm literally drooling at the prospect of routinely monitoring the evolution of coastal sea breezes, thunderstorms, and fog/stratus with the higher temporal spatial/resolution of the new GOES series. I got a chance to spend a week at the GOES-R OPG this past spring. We used Himawari-8 for evaluation of all the new channels, such as RGB/Dust, low level water vapor, true-color and false-color visible, just to name a few of the new ones.
1 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Nimbus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:54 pm

Some of the specs were released where they basicly made the analogy to HDTV.

NOAA officials said that GOES-R's six-instrument suite represents a big upgrade from the equipment on GOES-East and GOES-West, which launched in 2006 and 2010, respectively.

For example, GOES-R's primary instrument, called the Advanced Baseline Imager (ABI), will gather three times more data, with four times higher resolution, than comparable gear on GOES-East and GOES-West. And ABI will be able to scan the landscape five times faster to boot, NOAA officials said.

I'm wondering if there might be some classified instrumentation along the lines of a 24/7 Gulfstream flight?

The higher resolution might only improve forecasting within the last model run otherwise.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#27 Postby wxman57 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:31 am

I've been monitoring the "chatter" on the tstorms email list about the new satellite. Apparently, there is no plan to put GOES-14 (currently stored in-orbit) if GOES-E or GOES-W fails. GOES-R will be placed in orbit over the equator at 89.5W longitude for the next year. Most likely, it will replace GOES-E in late 2017 or in 2018. That's not 100% guaranteed, of course. If GOES-W fails in the next year, then GOES-R may be moved west to cover that area.

The next satellite, GOES-S is scheduled for launch in 2018.
0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#28 Postby AJC3 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:01 am

wxman57 wrote:I've been monitoring the "chatter" on the tstorms email list about the new satellite. Apparently, there is no plan to put GOES-14 (currently stored in-orbit) if GOES-E or GOES-W fails. GOES-R will be placed in orbit over the equator at 89.5W longitude for the next year. Most likely, it will replace GOES-E in late 2017 or in 2018. That's not 100% guaranteed, of course. If GOES-W fails in the next year, then GOES-R may be moved west to cover that area.

The next satellite, GOES-S is scheduled for launch in 2018.

Yeah, It was an interesting point made by a few people in that discussion that limitations in ground receiving capacity prevents NESDIS from keeping any more than 2 GOES birds "operational", even if 3 or 4 are "functional". Alas, my hopes of monitoring rapid-scan ops over the far eastern Atlantic next season have been dashed... :D
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#29 Postby RL3AO » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:21 am

I'm sure the HWT in Norman would love to have it for spring severe weather season (even just some "testing" data). Can't wait for it to be in operation.
1 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: NOAA: GOES-16 Now in Orbit

#30 Postby RL3AO » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:49 am

Since it is now in geostationary orbit, it has been renamed GOES-16.
1 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

Re: NOAA: GOES-16 Now in Orbit

#31 Postby AJC3 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am

It was announced at the presser that GOES-16 will become GOES-E when it eventually becomes operational
0 likes   

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#32 Postby SouthDadeFish » Thu May 25, 2017 12:35 pm

I know this question was asked a while ago, but one answer I haven't seen yet is in regard to improvement in model forecasts. It has been proposed that placing GOES-16 as GOES-W would result in improved observations (better resolution & more channels) of the upstream flow relative to North America. The improved observation network could then in turn improve forecasts of downstream weather phenomena.
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”