Vigorous Tropical Wave Moving Off Africa - (Is INVEST 96L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Vigorous Tropical Wave Moving Off Africa - (Is INVEST 96L)

#1 Postby gatorcane » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:55 pm

We have the ECMWF and UKMET showing development within 5 days along with a closed low the CMC develops.

I believe the NHC may mention this area for possible development.

I circled the wave below. Broad circulation is very evident with deep convection starting to fire:
http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... display=24

ECMWF:

UKMET:

CMC:
Last edited by gatorcane on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Vigorous Tropical Wave To Exit Africa Tomorrow

#2 Postby Nimbus » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:08 pm

Each successive wave coming off Africa has been clearing out the SAL near the Cape Verde islands.
Do you think we will have a July invest or will the NHC assume an early organization will dissipate?
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Kazmit » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:35 pm

I'm not too sure what will happen to this one. Every tropical wave this month that has moved off of Africa has failed to develop until they've reached the Pacific. As much as I would like it to develop, I doubt the conditions are favourable enough- the SAL is a giant storm killer :(
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JaxGator
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby JaxGator » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:36 pm

I think the HWRF develops this too somewhat. Note the High above it.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee88 ... 7aqwll.png
0 likes   
The posts or stuff said are NOT an official forecast. Please look to the NHC and NWS for official forecasts and products.

Floyd-1999, Frances-2004, Jeanne-2004, Fay-2008, Beryl-2012, Debby-2012, Colin-2016, Hermine-2016, Julia-2016, Matthew-2016, Irma-2017, Elsa-2021, Idalia-2023.

Go Gators! Go Jags!

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5 Postby RL3AO » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Kazmit_ wrote:I'm not too sure what will happen to this one. Every tropical wave this month that has moved off of Africa has failed to develop until they've reached the Pacific. As much as I would like it to develop, I doubt the
conditions are favourable enough- the SAL is a giant storm killer :(

Everything is progressing as the calendar suggests it should. Pressures are falling, dry air is slowly getting pushed back, and the waves across Africa are increasing in intensity. I don't expect either of these waves to develop, but they're getting there.
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Kazmit » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:58 pm

RL3AO wrote:
Kazmit_ wrote:I'm not too sure what will happen to this one. Every tropical wave this month that has moved off of Africa has failed to develop until they've reached the Pacific. As much as I would like it to develop, I doubt the
conditions are favourable enough- the SAL is a giant storm killer :(

Everything is progressing as the calendar suggests it should. Pressures are falling, dry air is slowly getting pushed back, and the waves across Africa are increasing in intensity. I don't expect either of these waves to develop, but they're getting there.

True, I think by early August, we should start seeing conditions favourable enough for an increase in tropical activity. This dry air is quite common for July, but should back off by the time August rolls around.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Emmett_Brown » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Even if these initial waves get knocked down a bit by SAL, we will need to watch these as they get close to our neighborhood. Storms that form far east often don't make it across before recurving. The ones that form further west are more worrisome.
Last edited by Emmett_Brown on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby hurricanes1234 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:10 pm

I was wondering, when last did we see a period of inactivity this long? I mean if we don't get a storm by mid-August, that'll be 2 months without a tropical cyclone!
:P :P
1 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:14 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:I was wondering, when last did we see a period of inactivity this long? I mean if we don't get a storm by mid-August, that'll be 2 months without a tropical cyclone!

2009 I believe.
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Javlin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Emmett_Brown wrote:Even if these initial waves get knocked down a bit by SAL, we will need to watch these as they get close to our neighborhood. Storms that form far east often don't make it across before recurving. The ones that form further west are more worrisome.

That my contention also and the high mentioned in the above post from HWRF is of concern.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Hammy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:02 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
hurricanes1234 wrote:I was wondering, when last did we see a period of inactivity this long? I mean if we don't get a storm by mid-August, that'll be 2 months without a tropical cyclone!

2009 I believe.

2009 had not so much as a depression from late May until August 11 or so, so basically the record as far as recent seasons.. It's noteworthy that as far as named storms, 1999 nothing between June 18 and August 19, and 1998 had nothing (not even a depression) until July 27.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby gatorcane » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Pretty good signal from the GFS ensembles

You can see this massive wave about ready to roll off Africa

0 likes   

JaxGator
Category 2
Category 2

#13 Postby JaxGator » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:46 pm

:uarrow: Looks intense at the moment.
0 likes   
The posts or stuff said are NOT an official forecast. Please look to the NHC and NWS for official forecasts and products.

Floyd-1999, Frances-2004, Jeanne-2004, Fay-2008, Beryl-2012, Debby-2012, Colin-2016, Hermine-2016, Julia-2016, Matthew-2016, Irma-2017, Elsa-2021, Idalia-2023.

Go Gators! Go Jags!

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Gustywind » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:48 pm

gatorcane wrote:Pretty good signal from the GFS ensembles

You can see this massive wave about ready to roll off Africa

Hey Gatorcane, let's see how it could respond to the poof test first :hehe: and then wait and see if a big if something potent is maybe in store.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:12 pm

Add the 12z JMA model to the list that develops this tropical wave about to exit Africa.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Vigorous Tropical Wave Moving Off Africa

#16 Postby floridasun78 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:35 pm

thing will chance on Atlantic side was we go into aug we now starting getting affect of La Niña more as we go into aug and sep i hope we ready because we see as active as we did PAC ocean past month models want start getting our side more active soon all say it dead season watch out we going for wild ride as aug come in i notice we seen last SAL coming by Florida now and Atlantic that well know happen in july let see how all place out i be here with you all ride i need keep eye because i here fl like rest of you guys on both coast
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:37 am

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#18 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:31 am

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
800 AM EDT WED JUL 27 2016

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

A tropical wave located along the coast of western Africa is
producing a large area of cloudiness and disorganized shower
activity. Environmental conditions are expected to be conducive
for some development of this disturbance during the next several
days while it moves generally westward at 15 to 20 mph.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent

$$
Forecaster Stewart

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Fego
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby Fego » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:50 am

Finally!, there we go. Kind of strange performance by the GFS.
0 likes   
Go Giants! Go Niners! Go Warriors!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Vigorous Tropical Wave Moving Off Africa - (Is INVEST 96L)

#20 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:54 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”