Gulf Coast Disturbance (early August)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Northeastern Gulf of Mexico

#301 Postby Kazmit » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:35 am

Where would this develop? East of Florida/Georgia?
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#302 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:45 am

I see the circ has shot out away from the mid level circ still sitting offshore. would not be surprised if again later today and tonight another low level circ develops offshore and rotates around.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#303 Postby psyclone » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:46 am

heaviest rain has mercifully remained offshore...after some heavy rain this morning it's down to light stuff here...there's some heavy stuff offshore but it may not get onshore. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some drying later this afternoon/evening as we reach D-min with a refire overnight. this should really knock the sea temps down in the northeast gulf..the shallow water responds fast but it's a 2 way street so the more it falls the quicker it will rebound when normal weather returns. in the meantime the break from the heat is quite nice.
1 likes   

StormHunter72
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#304 Postby StormHunter72 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:00 pm

psyclone wrote:heaviest rain has mercifully remained offshore...after some heavy rain this morning it's down to light stuff here...there's some heavy stuff offshore but it may not get onshore. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some drying later this afternoon/evening as we reach D-min with a refire overnight. this should really knock the sea temps down in the northeast gulf..the shallow water responds fast but it's a 2 way street so the more it falls the quicker it will rebound when normal weather returns. in the meantime the break from the heat is quite nice.
Not here and I would not be surprised if this sits here much longer it may re develop...a new cdo.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

StormHunter72
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#305 Postby StormHunter72 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:03 pm

Low over land has collapsed
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#306 Postby psyclone » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:08 pm

If you loop the radar you'll notice the rain echoes weaken as they near the coast. meanwhile off to the east the rain has at least temporarily stopped along the I-75 corridor in Sumter/Hernando/Pasco...so we can some erosion in both coverage and intensity on land. Taking a look at radar estimated totals on the Tampa Bay radar and you'll see a 16" jackpot southwest of cedar key...no one on land comes even close to the rain totals offshore. there's a pretty good band taking shape west of the Pasco/north Pinellas area but if it behaves as the other rain has it may weaken as it nears land..if it doesn't someone is going to get really hammered.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#307 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:38 pm

Down to 0%.

A weak area of low pressure located inland over northeastern Florida
is generating showers and thunderstorms, primarily over the Gulf of
Mexico. This system is drifting northeastward to northward, and is
expected to move farther inland today and Monday with little chance
of tropical cyclone formation. Nonetheless, heavy rainfall that
could result in flooding is forecast over portions of north-central
and northern Florida, including parts of the Florida panhandle,
during the next few days.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...low... near 0 percent
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#308 Postby Stormcenter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Now it's time to focus again on roughly the same area.
2 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#309 Postby Dean4Storms » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:11 pm

How was that not at least classified a TD when it was over water is my question. We had a warm core low, closed LL circulation clearly now seen on Satellite and winds 20-30 mph!
0 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#310 Postby N2FSU » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Visible satellite loop shows that the low level circulation has stopped its northeast movement and is maybe even drifting northwest or west now. Or are my eyes deceiving me?
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#311 Postby Dean4Storms » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:00 pm

N2FSU wrote:Visible satellite loop shows that the low level circulation has stopped its northeast movement and is maybe even drifting northwest or west now. Or are my eyes deceiving me?

It does appear to have slowed and maybe turning more northward.
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#312 Postby Dean4Storms » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:03 pm

I'm wondering how long from now does the current LL circulation last before all that robust convection over the NE Gulf forms another Low?
0 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#313 Postby N2FSU » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:04 pm

New 12z Euro: tightens it up maybe a little and still has it on the western Florida panhandle Friday:

1 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#314 Postby Dean4Storms » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:10 pm

12 ECM now with a 1007mb Low over Destin @120hrs with 10m Wind Gusts along the Coast to 50kts.
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#315 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:37 pm

Dean4Storms wrote:12 ECM now with a 1007mb Low over Destin @120hrs with 10m Wind Gusts along the Coast to 50kts.

New QPF maximum 20"+ right ese of you along South Walton and Bay Counties.
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif?1470598512
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#316 Postby Hammy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:51 pm

If this manages to strengthen to TS intensity, while being just inland, would it still get upgraded?
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#317 Postby psyclone » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:51 pm

the earlier QPF max estimates to the southwest of cedar key verified nicely. there's now an 18" pixel showing on the tampa radar storm total in that area...and it's still raining there at a good clip. A total of 2' looks doable... maybe more. fortunately those insane totals have remained offshore with much more modest amounts on land that quickly taper away from the coast keeping our watersheds in good shape..so far. This has not been a repeat of last year's torrential rain event that featured those numbers over land.
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#318 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Hammy wrote:If this manages to strengthen to TS intensity, while being just inland, would it still get upgraded?

That's a good question cause Bill from last season was still a TD a good long ways inland.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#319 Postby tailgater » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:05 pm

N2FSU wrote:Visible satellite loop shows that the low level circulation has stopped its northeast movement and is maybe even drifting northwest or west now. Or are my eyes deceiving me?

Yes I see that as well, zoom in on this radar loop and speed it up.
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=JAX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes
0 likes   

bamajammer4eva
Category 4
Category 4

#320 Postby bamajammer4eva » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Was parked over Lake City for hours now looks like it's meandering towards Mayo
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”