Tropical Wave East of Leeward Islands - (Is INVEST 93L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
colbroe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Tropical Wave East of Leeward Islands - (Is INVEST 93L)

#1 Postby colbroe » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:37 pm

An Atlantic Ocean 1012 mb low pressure center is near 13N45W.
Convective precipitation: Widely scattered moderate to isolated
strong from 06N to 15N between 40W and 51W.
This is the one abajan would have mentioned
Last edited by AJC3 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Low Pressure system at 13N 45W

#2 Postby abajan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:32 pm

Actually, this would have to be yet another system, because the one I mentioned is probably currently near 25W (I think).
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby abajan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:38 am

This is actually starting to look quite impressive, both on the visible and IR satellite loops:

I wonder where it's headed. The tropical Atlantic in general seems to be primed to explode this week.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:59 am

abajan wrote:This is actually starting to look quite impressive, both on the visible and IR satellite loops:

I wonder where it's headed. The tropical Atlantic in general seems to be primed to explode this week.

Abajan,
The 0Z/6Z GFS and the 0Z Euro all move this weak surface low WNW to the Leeward Islands Friday and then just north of the Greater Antilles and toward the SE Bahamas about a week from now but it is weakened to almost nothing before the Leewards and onward. So, the GFS/Euro don't like this for development. OTOH, the Crazy Uncle (CMC) moves it on a similar path and keeps it as a weak low. It eventually makes it into the Gulf as a TC moving WNW toward the LA/TX area at the end of the run (day 10). But the CMC is not at all reliable as we know.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:08 pm

^Once again, the sane GFS (12Z) doesn't like this and does nothing with it. However, once again, the insane CMC (12Z) develops it into a TC and has it as a H in the GOM at the end of its run moving WNW. Don't bet on this!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:21 pm

Although I'm not betting on this to develop being that the CMC is the only major model liking it, I'm also not at all writing this off yet. There is a persistent low level circulation near 14N, 50W with some convection that looks to move WNW far I nto the western basin assuming it doesn't completely fall apart. Also, we're in the heart of the season with a favorable MJO inside the circle.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby USTropics » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:32 pm

I believe this is association with P32L:

http://www.met.nps.edu/~mtmontgo/storms2016/P32L.html

SYNOPSIS 2016090600

P32L
14N, 45W
925 hPa

ECMWF: Tracks WNW. Position is a bit erratic with a couple of OW maxima “competing” within the pouch (during the 12-24 hour period, and later that results in a 60-72 hour westward shift). Max OW is 3x10-9 s-2 in the analysis. Weakens near Puerto Rico, with nothing after 96 hours.

GFS: Tracks more poleward than ECMWF, with less interaction with islands, which may help P32L last longer. OW starts at almost 4x10-9 s-2 and slowly decreases. Loses CL-trough intersection after 96 hours.

UKMET:

HWRF-GEN:

ECMWF -6.5 1.3 track 96h
GFS -7.0 2.9 track 108h
UKMET
HWGEN
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Well, once again, the GFS does nothing with it while the CMC once again has a TC in the Gulf. Just something to keep a close eye on.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Gustywind » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:49 am

TWDAT

Tropical Weather Discussion
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
624 AM EDT WED SEP 7 2016

A tropical wave is in the central Atlantic waters extending from
11N to 21N with axis near 53W. The wave has been repositioned
from former position farther to the east, based on satellite,
surface observations and latest global model guidance. Unfavorable
deep layer wind shear and Saharan dry air and dust hinder
convection at the time.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby LarryWx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:01 am

Thanks, Gusty. This wave/low (pouch 32L) is now centered near 14N, 52W. Model update: though it doesn't like it for development due to unfavorable atmospheric conditions, the 0Z Euro does (and has for several runs more or less) bring its 850 vorticity WNW and then NW all of the way to the SE coast in about 8 days. So, steeringwise, this would seemingly be some threat to the SE CONUS IF there were to be an actual TC unexpectedly form from this. So, this is still worth monitoring just in case even though chances are low that a TC will actually form since it appears to be about the only game in town that doesn't look like a fish anytime soon other than the low chance ex-92L has to do anything.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Blown Away » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:40 am

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/catl/flash-vis.html
Nice feature, JB Likes it, no model support...
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby CFLHurricane » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:52 am

I like this one, too. Tight circulation ramping up on the MMIC-TPW. I'd expect the NHC to pull out the crayons in this one soon. ✏️
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby LarryWx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:13 am

^Yeah, this one is pretty large with a clearcut LLC, it is over water that is solidly warmer than normal, its 850 mb vorticity is progged by the best model (Euro) to be steered to the SE CONUS in 8 days, the MJO is and is progged by the EPS (most accurate for MJO) to remain favorable for September genesis (inside the circle), and we're in the heart of the season. So, I'm not writing this off at this time for a potential threat despite non-CMC models not liking it for genesis due to unfavorable atmospheric conditions. Chances have to be considered low as of now but not near zero imo. Any unexpected genesis wound probably mean a problem for the SE Conus down the road. I'm surprised this isn't even being mentioned in the TWOs.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby LarryWx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:27 am

The Crazy Uncle (12z CMC) is till not done with its love affair with this as it hits NC with a TS in 6 days (9/13). I certainly wouldn't buy the usually awful CMC when it is on its own but I also don't competely discount something like that happening.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Gustywind » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:31 pm

Tropical Weather Discussion
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
205 PM EDT WED SEP 07 2016

Tropical wave in the west Atlantic extends along 52W/53W from
12N-20N moving west 15 to 20 kt over the past 24 hours. Wave is
embedded within a surge of moisture as seen on the Total
Precipitable Water Imagery. Clusters of scattered moderate to
isolated strong convection are from 14N-18N between 50W-54W
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Gustywind » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:35 pm

LarryWx wrote:Thanks, Gusty. This wave/low (pouch 32L) is now centered near 14N, 52W. Model update: though it doesn't like it for development due to unfavorable atmospheric conditions, the 0Z Euro does (and has for several runs more or less) bring its 850 vorticity WNW and then NW all of the way to the SE coast in about 8 days. So, steeringwise, this would seemingly be some threat to the SE CONUS IF there were to be an actual TC unexpectedly form from this. So, this is still worth monitoring just in case even though chances are low that a TC will actually form since it appears to be about the only game in town that doesn't look like a fish anytime soon other than the low chance ex-92L has to do anything.

:) Thanks LarryWx :D , i try to do my best by posting daily for everbody :). I'm glad to know that someone noticed that :lol: and write it is even better :clap:.
Our Pro Mets expected few showers and isolated tstorms tommorow night and Friday for Guadeloupe but no more.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby LarryWx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:51 pm

You're welcome, Gusty.

Well, though it doesn't like this for development, the latest Euro (12Z) still takes the vorticity WNW and then NW to the SE Conus in about a week. I still look at this as having a low chance of becoming a TC down the road (10% as of now), but that also means I'm still not yet writing this off.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Gustywind » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:22 pm

LarryWx wrote:You're welcome, Gusty.

Well, though it doesn't like this for development, the latest Euro (12Z) still takes the vorticity WNW and then NW to the SE Conus in about a week. I still look at this as having a low chance of becoming a TC down the road (10% as of now), but that also means I'm still not yet writing this off.

Thanks to you i appreciate my friend. :)
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave Along 53W

#19 Postby abajan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 pm

This wave is currently generating quite number of thunderstorms:

Real-Time Lightning Maps
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical Wave Along 53W

#20 Postby floridasun78 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:46 pm

i been watching area cross ocean put look wont outlook any time soon dont models support
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”