Hurricane Patricia- 1 year ago today

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Hurricane Patricia- 1 year ago today

#1 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:34 am

So one year ago today, we were dealing with Hurricane Patricia. Probably the most memorable system I've tracked. I knew early on the system would be big, but not the unprecedented 100 knot deepening in a day like we say. And of course, I remember staying up all night tracking Recon on Storm2k, seeing Patricia first become the strongest EPAc cane, and then strongest WHEM system. Totally worth it too; it's gonna be a few decades before I ever see a system like that ever again.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Hurricane Patricia- 1 year ago today

#2 Postby cycloneye » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:51 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Emmett_Brown » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:58 am

Amazing... does anyone happen to know the world record wind/pressure for a TC?
0 likes   

ThetaE
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby ThetaE » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:25 am

Emmett_Brown wrote:Amazing... does anyone happen to know the world record wind/pressure for a TC?

The world record for wind was set by Patricia last year. Typhoon Tip (1979) set the lowest recorded pressure ever at 870 mb. Arguments could be made that Haiyan or other super typhoons in more recent seasons (since after the JMA stopped sending recon missions into storms) were stronger, but those are the official records.
0 likes   
I'm an busy grad student, not a professional forecaster. Please refer to the NHC and NWS for official forecasts.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5 Postby Ntxw » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:24 pm

You can relive the thread here for Patricia. If you ever wondered what the Labor Day cane might have been like on steroids, Patricia is it. That pressure gradient was insane. I remember the week leading up to it we were wondering if the Atlantic side would produce the storm instead. What we got was a historic beast on the Pacific side.

Patricia Discussion Thread
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:10 pm

Patricia was a storm like no other in the Western Hemisphere, at least in the satellite era. It is in the same league as the greatest super typhoons of the WPAC. Maybe the 1935 Labor Day storm was like it? (although that storm was at a higher latitude)
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Macrocane » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:59 pm

When Patricia was at its peak I was on vacations and I missed most of the exciting recon missions. When I came back to the hotel room after being all day out and turned out the TV I saw the news "strongest hurricane ever heading towards Mexico" and I thought it was a misinformation or some kind of sensationalism but then I read my twitter and this forum and it was true :double: :eek:

I couldn't stop cheking for news in my cellphone after that :lol:
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby JDawg512 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:44 am

What was left of Patricia went right over Texas. Gave us a a very soggy Formula 1 race weekend here in Austin. They ended up canceling most of the time trials on Friday and Saturday. The rain ended Sunday morning just in time for the U.S. Grand Prix. The wet track made for a pretty exciting race. This year's weather is the complete opposite.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”