2017 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: 2017 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#1561 Postby RL3AO » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:08 am

otowntiger wrote:
RL3AO wrote:Looks like a pretty classic CAG event. Wouldn't be surprised to see a TC in the EPac and Atlantic.
What's 'CAG' stand for? thanks.

Central American Gyre. It's a monsoon gyre that forms around Central America - most commonly during May and October.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1562 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 am

I'm going to restate what I have been saying about western ATL basin TC genesis/development GEFS biases as some are not following what I'm saying:

- the 18Z GEFS has day after day been the most active GEFS run BY FAR. A theory has been presented in this thread that this is due to 18Z being the time of max solar insolation in/near the western ATL basin.
- the 6Z GEFS has day after day been the least active GEFS run BY FAR.
- the 0Z/12Z have been in between the surrounding 18Z/6Z every time.

Am I making sense? With a repeating pattern like this, there are obvious biases that need to be considered when looking at each GEFS run as randomness definitely doesn't explain this. When I see the 18Z GEFS, I assume it is too active. When I see the 6Z GEFS, I assume it is too quiet. The 0Z/12Z GEFS seem to be the most reasonable to me of the 4 runs.
Last edited by LarryWx on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#1563 Postby Steve H. » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:21 am

Maybe for the GFS family this is true. However the Euro has been showing lowering pressures and vorticity in the western Atlantic (Caribbean) for days, so I tend to think it is sniffing something out. It usually doesn't play the phantom cyclone game.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1564 Postby NotSparta » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 am

otowntiger wrote:
RL3AO wrote:Looks like a pretty classic CAG event. Wouldn't be surprised to see a TC in the EPac and Atlantic.

Central America Gyre
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1565 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1566 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:40 am

1 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#1567 Postby blp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 am

LarryWx wrote:I'm going to restate what I have been saying about western ATL basin TC genesis GEFS biases as some are not following what I'm saying:

- the 18Z GEFS has day after day been the most active GEFS run BY FAR. A theory has been presented in this thread that this is due to 18Z being the time of max solar insolation in/near the western ATL basin.
- the 6Z GEFS has day after day been the least active GEFS run BY FAR.
- the 0Z/12Z have been in between the surrounding 18Z/6Z every time.

Am I making sense? With a repeating pattern like this, there are obvious biases that need to be considered when looking at each GEFS run as randomness definitely doesn't explain this. When I see the 18Z GEFS, I assume it is too active. When I see the 6Z GEFS, I assume it is too quiet. The 0Z/12Z GEFS seem to be the most reasonable to me of the 4 runs.

Larry I appreciate your research on this. I too have seen this trend. I for one am waiting to see how the Euro resolves this. This is the new GFS and I still don't have a feel for its bias in the W. Caribbean. You know the old GFS was typically bias toward over development in the W. Caribbean in the early and late season. I am not sure what to make of this. I think it is very interesting finding and I wonder if this impacts other 18z models that might use the same input data.

I do see the Euro, GFS, CMC, NAVGEM, JMA hinting at something but they all seem to be scattered right now with varying solutions since it is early.
Last edited by blp on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1568 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 am

RL3AO wrote:
otowntiger wrote:

Central American Gyre. It's a monsoon gyre that forms around Central America - most commonly during May and October.

Don't storms that form like this tend to be sloppy tropical storms rather than well-developed hurricanes?
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1569 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:49 am

In the western ATL basin during 10/4-9, today's 0Z EPS wasn't as active as yesterday's 12Z EPS though it still had notable activity:

Out of 50 runs, 9 (18%) were Hs vs 10 the prior run and 9 two runs ago. 3 hit W FL as Hs 10/7-8, 2 hit the Bahamas 10/7-9, 1 hit MS/AL 10/7, 1 hit LA 10/9, and the other 2 were still in the middle of the GOM moving slowly N/NW at the end of the run (10/10). I counted ~15 (~30%) TS+ vs ~22 (~44%) TS+ the prior run and ~15 (~30%) TS+ two runs ago.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#1570 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 am

CyclonicFury wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
otowntiger wrote: What's 'CAG' stand for? thanks.

Don't storms that form like this tend to be sloppy tropical storms rather than well-developed hurricanes?

For sure in May and June but at this midpoint in the season, things would be a little different if it formed near the TCHP in the western carib.
1 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#1571 Postby Frank2 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:23 am

The good news is the GFS also shows strong high pressure to our north during that same time....
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1572 Postby Steve » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:29 am

Frank2 wrote:The good news is the GFS also shows strong high pressure to our north during that same time....

Which is exactly why you look south or southeast of that for development.
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1573 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:29 am

Frank2 wrote:The good news is the GFS also shows strong high pressure to our north during that same time....

Frank,
Contrary to what you apparently think, a strong surface high to the north actually can make it more conducive for TC genesis below it. Check out at old weather maps and you'd see examples of this.
2 likes   

perk
Category 3
Category 3

#1574 Postby perk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:39 am

LarryWx wrote:

Frank,
Contrary to what you apparently think, a strong surface high to the north actually can make it more conducive for TC genesis below it. Check out at old weather maps and you'd see examples of this.

What Frank may have meant is that high pressure won't allow a TC to move toward Florida we all know that high pressure can aid in TC development.
1 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#1575 Postby CourierPR » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:44 am

I just viewed the Saturday Summary video on weatherbell.com and Met. Joe Bastardi said he expects development in the W. Caribbean during the first ten days of October according to the pattern setup.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#1576 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:57 am

As always, any information from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center will supercede anything that I forecast on here. They are the experts, I am still a student.

With that established let's get started. GFS and EURO consistently showing an Atlantic Cyclone long range. EURO develops it in the WCarib. GFS develops it in the Bay of Campeche and brings it NE into the South Central Gulf of Mexico. Some other analogues which occurred during La Nina years are Mitch and Wilma.

October 1-11 will be the time frame to really watch for explosive La Nina favored development in the West Caribbean.

Pressures are lowering and conditions with non-existent shear and near-record high oceanic heat content waters will be favorable for the formation of a powerful hurricane that in my opinion could rival 2005's Wilma as the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic.

I say this because Irma set a record as the most powerful hurricane in the Atlantic ever outside of the GOM and Caribbean. Irma also set numerous Cat 5 165-185 mph landfall records.

With this in mind, I think we break Wilma's record in the WCarib this year, since conditions as extra favorable over the Atlantic this year for rapid intensification of developing tropical cyclones, as we saw with Jose, Harvey, Maria, Irma, and other Atlantic cyclones this year.

I think we will also get brief development in the EPAC (Eastern Pacific) before said convectively favorable parameters illustrated by the Madden-Julian Oscillation move into the WCarib (Western Caribbean Sea, including the waters adjacent to Cuba and Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. So EPAC storm, then the powerful WCarib form.

It is possible that the cyclone may initiate over the SW Caribbean east of Nicaragua or in the central Caribbean prior to being guided into the NW Caribbean.

I wish to reiterate that the forecast in this post is a purely academic endeavor, based purely on my study of the subject of tropical meteorology of the Atlantic Ocean, and should not supercede any information given by the National Hurricane Center.

Please do not feel alarmed by anything in this post. Reality rarely conforms to theoretical human forecasts, which are naturally subject to large errors.
2 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#1577 Postby ronjon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 am

Latest 00z ECM run now establishes a 1005 mb low pressure in the western Caribbean at 10 days. Something to watch as the the ECM and GFS ensembles hinting at low pressure developing from the CA monsoonal gyre.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1578 Postby Alyono » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am

12Z GFS develops a weak tropical storm in the Bahamas this weekend, looks to be heading toward Florida
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1579 Postby Steve » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:28 am

Alyono wrote:12Z GFS develops a weak tropical storm in the Bahamas this weekend, looks to be heading toward Florida

Odd track. It forms it on/near the SE FL Coast moving NE and then it loops back around south of Florida into the South Central Gulf and weakens it to a ripple.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1580 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 am

Alyono wrote:12Z GFS develops a weak tropical storm in the Bahamas this weekend, looks to be heading toward Florida

Does the UKMET do anything? Although this obviously could just be a phantom, the 12Z CMC has something kind of similar for the same timeframe.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”