2017 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2017 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#1401 Postby stormhunter7 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:52 pm

That is just cruel EURO.... Texans and LA folks could not take on another tropical system in 10-11 days....
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1402 Postby Steve » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Actually the GFS shows a wave or a depression into Matagorda and hammers another 10-15" of rain over SE TX.

Yeah. It has consequences But it just throws up one or two weak circulations of loose or broad low pressure. I thought its mid range game for Harvey was awful specifically when it came to depicting structure and intensification. It missed completely on the opportunity the West Gulf pattern offered for rapid intensification. Recall it had a stretched out low a few days ago depicting Harvey's weak remnants coming off the Yucatán and sliding up the coast.

Having said that, what the ECMWF seems to want to show is a weaker first system coming up to LA then 93L 5 or so days after that farther east and much stronger. It's weird because if that run hits and both systems end up developing, they would be from completely different source regions though right where they should be in the progression of the tropical pattern next 1-2 weeks. I have been preoccupied with Harvey and haven't even looked at the EPAC to see if it has a forerunner system in the next 2-4 days. I wonder if there is a pulse of MJO or an amplification coming to get the Atlantic systems to intensify and come up? We moved out of the circle into Phase 2 as Harvey and also +/- 92L were coming together. I think we were supposed to go back in the circle, but im not sure after that.
Last edited by Steve on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

stormzilla
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1403 Postby stormzilla » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:32 pm

A very strong wave still inland and has some spin to it..could this be the one that models are picking up on 12 days out ?.....http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... display=24
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1404 Postby Steve » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:36 am

As suspected, globals that are out so far bring up an EPAC storm in the near term. That fits perfectly with a coming Gulf threat and SE Coast threat after that if that's how the next 2 weeks go. So far GFS has an inflow of disorganized low pressure moving up the west Gulf. CMC and NAVGEM don't do anything. Euro will be running soon. It had the Gulf storm at 12z. Not the specific thread but 93L is notable on all models. Looks like it could be a medium sized deep system approaching the Bahamas/FL next weekend (wknd after this one coming up). Euro needs to run so I can go to sleep.
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1405 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:45 am

Steve wrote:As suspected, globals that are out so far bring up an EPAC storm in the near term. That fits perfectly with a coming Gulf threat and SE Coast threat after that if that's how the next 2 weeks go. So far GFS has an inflow of disorganized low pressure moving up the west Gulf. CMC and NAVGEM don't do anything. Euro will be running soon. It had the Gulf storm at 12z. Not the specific thread but 93L is notable on all models. Looks like it could be a medium sized deep system approaching the Bahamas/FL next weekend (wknd after this one coming up). Euro needs to run so I can go to sleep.

I understand the rules here, but in light of what's been happening, why can't we have a potential heavy rain thread or something for the gulf threat 9/5-9/7?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#1406 Postby Blinhart » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:57 am

SoupBone wrote:
Steve wrote:As suspected, globals that are out so far bring up an EPAC storm in the near term. That fits perfectly with a coming Gulf threat and SE Coast threat after that if that's how the next 2 weeks go. So far GFS has an inflow of disorganized low pressure moving up the west Gulf. CMC and NAVGEM don't do anything. Euro will be running soon. It had the Gulf storm at 12z. Not the specific thread but 93L is notable on all models. Looks like it could be a medium sized deep system approaching the Bahamas/FL next weekend (wknd after this one coming up). Euro needs to run so I can go to sleep.

I understand the rules here, but in light of what's been happening, why can't we have a potential heavy rain thread or something for the gulf threat 9/5-9/7?

I totally agree, especially models are getting into more agreement, and with what is happening now and the potential of what is coming next week, I think we need another thread.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#1407 Postby tropicwatch » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:21 am

Maybe a thread Gulf of Mexico Sept. 3rd - 7th. Or something of that facsimile.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1408 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:24 am

I see it looks like harvey's gives birth to a child in the BOC in a few days from that trailing boundary it left behind.. lovely..
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Airboy
Category 1
Category 1

#1409 Postby Airboy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 am

The latest GFS run is a bit crazy for the Gulf.......
0 likes   

OntarioEggplant
Category 1
Category 1

#1410 Postby OntarioEggplant » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:46 am

This GFS run is crazy. At least it isn't showing the rain totals for Houston and Beaumont that 6Z did, but the fact that it shows it getting much stronger is pretty much coming in line to what the Euro has shown
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1411 Postby chaser1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:54 pm

panamatropicwatch wrote:Maybe a thread Gulf of Mexico Sept. 3rd - 7th. Or something of that facsimile.

I believe that thread HAS been initiated (rightfully so)
1 likes   

RachelAnna
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1412 Postby RachelAnna » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:54 pm

KatDaddy wrote:53.91" as of 3:40PM. I cannot even imagine another tropical threat for the Upper TX Coast and SE TX next week.

I got 36.4 at my house. The idea of even another sprinkle makes me feel ill. I'm watching this closely. Long ways out, but it'll be better to prepare myself mentally.
0 likes   

ace
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1413 Postby ace » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:25 pm

chaser1 wrote:
panamatropicwatch wrote:Maybe a thread Gulf of Mexico Sept. 3rd - 7th. Or something of that facsimile.

I don't see it started as of yet. Do you have a link, please?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1414 Postby tolakram » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:40 pm

ace wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

I don't see it started as of yet. Do you have a link, please?

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=119080
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

ace
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1415 Postby ace » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 pm

0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#1416 Postby USTropics » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 am

Various ECMWF ensembles, and vaguely the ECMWF 00z operational run, have suggested a potential trailing system behind Irma. Origins appear to be from the wave currently near the African coast.

00z ECMWF ensembles:

00z ECMWF operational run:

latest visible image of African coast:
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1417 Postby tolakram » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:49 am

Putting this request here as well ... This applies to model maps, not every image.

Please include sourcing of your maps if the source is not listed on the graphic. Graphics without an obvious source will be taken down.

MAPS FROM COMMERCIAL SITES CAN NOT BE POSTED UNLESS SHARED VIA SOCIAL MEDIA.

In these cases please link to tweets or other URL where shared.

Thanks for your cooperation.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1418 Postby tolakram » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:54 am

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1419 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:21 am

Jose behind Irma.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1420 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:23 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”