2017 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2017 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#2021 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:50 am

All 3 major operational models show a Tropical Storm or area area of low pressure hitting florida especially South Florida from the WSW in the long range.
The potential area that Gatorcane has been predicting is something to pay attention to, even though it's long range, with the EURO Operational now on board.

OZ EURO shows a tropical storm hitting S FL at 240 hours. Long Range GFS 00Z shows a tropical storm hitting the SW and W Coast of FL near tampa bay after 240 hours. CMC shows a tropical storm that combines with a frontal low to form a very intense squall line that hits FL's West, Southwest Coast, and then the Panhandle.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2022 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:20 am

00Z Euro picks up on Western Caribbean development for the first time with a low that moves NE out of NW Caribbean developing into a TS in the Straits of Florida on a NE trajectory.

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2023 Postby SFLcane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:45 am

Sorry i just can't buy any of these long range forecast even from the ECM. GFS has not brought the time in on this mornings 06z run it has another storm nearly 250-300hr out likely bogus. With the upper level conditions near FL i feel pretty good on some rain or a weak sheared TS. Maybe some sorta STS :roll:
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#2024 Postby tolakram » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:54 am

SFLcane wrote:Sorry i just can't buy any of these long range forecast even from the ECM. GFS has not brought the time in on this mornings 06z run it has another storm nearly 250-300hr out likely bogus. With the upper level conditions near FL i feel pretty good on some rain or a weak sheared TS. Maybe some sorta STS :roll:

What upper level conditions?

If you look at the latest GFS 200MB winds there is no season ending front bringing high enough shear to protect all of Florida.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=watl&pkg=uv200&runtime=2017101606&fh=192&xpos=0&ypos=98

The one phrase that is most overused here is 'season ending' IMO. :)
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2025 Postby SFLcane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:03 am

tolakram with a la nina its always wise to keep an eye in the caribbean deep into the season. No season ending from me for now i'am just not buying into any extreme long range forecast 200+hr even on the EURO. Its been an exhausting season
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#2026 Postby tolakram » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 am

SFLcane wrote:tolakram with a la nina its always wise to keep an eye in the caribbean deep into the season. No season ending from me for now i'am just not buying into any extreme long range forecast 200+hr even on the EURO. Its been an exhausting season

Yea, I hear ya there. 192 hours is my magic number, we'll see if anything gets in range. Sorry if I confused what you were saying with someone else.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2027 Postby blp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:37 am

tolakram wrote:
SFLcane wrote:tolakram with a la nina its always wise to keep an eye in the caribbean deep into the season. No season ending from me for now i'am just not buying into any extreme long range forecast 200+hr even on the EURO. Its been an exhausting season

Yea, I hear ya there. 192 hours is my magic number, we'll see if anything gets in range. Sorry if I confused what you were saying with someone else.

I am not putting too much faith in the GFS bringing in the timeframe. It did a poor job with NATE and was all over the place spitting out different vorticities each run until the Euro and other models where able to lock in on the area for cyclogensis. Once the GFS locks in then it will be useful IMO. There is something about this area of the basin that is causing the GFS to swing wildly from one solution to another with each run.
Last edited by blp on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2028 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 am

This is the same GFS that was bringing Nate into LA as a DEPRESSION/WAVE just around 4-5 days out.

This GFS also didn't do much with Ophelia in the beginning either.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2029 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:48 am

Although not as reliable, 00Z NASA model at 10 days:

Last edited by gatorcane on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2030 Postby blp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:48 am

gatorcane wrote:This is the same GFS that was bringing Nate into LA as a DEPRESSION/WAVE just around 4-5 days out.

This GFS also didn't do much with Ophelia in the beginning either.

Yeah the intensity was a mess because of all those phantom vorticities it kept developing. The track was decent though and pulled the Euro West.

Probably need to stick to the Ensembles since they have been much more consistent in the long range.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2031 Postby blp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:57 am

What I am seeing in most of the models today is a pretty decent sized front coming down in 10 days that will extend far enough south to dig out any low pressure that might be festering in the W. Carribean. A lot of times the tail end of the front could be quite favorable for development. Sometimes you need a front to break the current High Pressure dominated setup that has pushed waves over land. Could be a dangerous setup.
1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2032 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:14 am

blp wrote:What I am seeing in most of the models today is a pretty decent sized front coming down in 10 days that will extend far enough south to dig out any low pressure that might be festering in the W. Carribean. A lot of times the tail end of the front could be quite favorable for development. Sometimes you need a front to break the current High Pressure dominated setup that has pushed waves over land. Could be a dangerous setup.

Looks like the models are trying to develop a cut-off low next week (Oct 23-25) and position it somewhere over the Gulf with the ECMWF the most east over the NE GOM and the GFS furthest west over Northern Mexico with the CMC the strongest and inbetween over the North-Central Gulf coast. With the Bermuda High to the east, the mean 500MB flow over the Western Caribbean between the low and High veers from E to W to SE to NW and eventually N then NE on the ECMWF which allows a TS to develop and track just south of Florida. The GFS on the other hand keeps the flow more E to W over the Western Caribbean longer due to cutoff low being further west over northern Mexico so development doesn't happen due to the vorticity moving inland over the Yucatan.
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2033 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am

I'm seeing models showing another intense hybrid low in the NE Atlantic later this week into the weekend...not sure if this one has a chance to go tropical but it would add insult to injury...
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2034 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:34 am

Looks like the GFS is finally realizing we are not in an El Nino and builds a very favorable upper pattern over the NW Caribbean next week. Looks like it is going with development now...

0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2035 Postby Alyono » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:42 am

gatorcane wrote:Looks like the GFS is finally realizing we are not in an El Nino and builds a very favorable upper pattern over the NW Caribbean next week. Looks like it is going with development now...

It also has 17 trillion areas of vorticity and is unable to consolidate
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#2036 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:50 am

12z GFS is nothing exciting expect the potential cold front that moves through the day before Halloween.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2037 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:51 am

Alyono wrote:
gatorcane wrote:Looks like the GFS is finally realizing we are not in an El Nino and builds a very favorable upper pattern over the NW Caribbean next week. Looks like it is going with development now...

https://s1.postimg.org/2c2dflyb0f/gfs_m ... atl_36.png

LOL - it is like Nate Part 2 only further east.

What the GFS is telling me is development chances are increasing in the Western Caribbean next week, likely stronger than what the GFS is showing at the moment.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#2038 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 am

Alyono wrote:

This same thing happened with pre-Nate.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#2039 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:54 am

12z GFS also spins up an organized TS just south of Jamaica on Nov. 1st.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2040 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:58 am

CMC:

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”