Expert forecasts for the 2017 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Expert forecasts for the 2017 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#21 Postby OuterBanker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Here is the entire Weatherbell post (the free version).

https://www.weatherbell.com/2017-hurricane-outlook
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:17 pm

OuterBanker wrote:Here is the entire Weatherbell post (the free version).

https://www.weatherbell.com/2017-hurricane-outlook

Also makes a good point of pressure patterns as the storms weakening as they move north of 20N lately near land
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:55 pm

The Weather Channel released their 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season forecast.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby NDG » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:The Weather Channel released their 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season forecast.

[im g]http://i65.tinypic.com/1i3p2.jpg[/img]

I think that is a good forecast, an average season.
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Kazmit » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:34 pm

NDG wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:The Weather Channel released their 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season forecast.

Yeah, I agree with TWC's forecast. It seems that they're forecasting an average season if El Niño DOES develop. They mention that if it fails to develop, their numbers may be too low. Very interesting, and quite a different outlook than most other forecasts.
1 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Kazmit_ wrote:
NDG wrote:

Yeah, I agree with TWC's forecast. It seems that they're forecasting an average season if El Niño DOES develop. They mention that if it fails to develop, their numbers may be too low. Very interesting, and quite a different outlook than most other forecasts.

In my opinion, this season will likely be more challenging to forecast compared to last season as it was more guaranteed as to what the ENSO was going to be last year.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby NDG » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Kazmit_ wrote:
NDG wrote:

In my opinion, this season will likely be more challenging to forecast compared to last season as it was more guaranteed as to what the ENSO was going to be last year.

I think that last year it was still challenging to many even though a La Nina was eminent, many were forecasting near average to below average activity in their April forecast,including the CSU team because of high pressure & cooler SSTs being forecasted by the Euro for the Atlantic basin.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#28 Postby Alyono » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm not as pessimistic on activity this year as I was last year. Had the PDO not have crashed like it did in late September, the season would have been well below average. That said, we had only 3 storms from Sept 20 through the end of the season. They all becomes cat 3+ though. Those 3 storms made up about an average season's worth of ACE
1 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby WeatherEmperor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 am

Alyono wrote:I'm not as pessimistic on activity this year as I was last year. Had the PDO not have crashed like it did in late September, the season would have been well below average. That said, we had only 3 storms from Sept 20 through the end of the season. They all becomes cat 3+ though. Those 3 storms made up about an average season's worth of ACE

But the PDO is just as positive as last year and instead of la nina at the equator we are likely to see el nino at the equator this year. Also pressures are expected to be higher than normal in the MDR similar to last year. So if most of the conditions are forecast to be similar to last year how come you are not as pessimistic this year?

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#30 Postby Ntxw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 am

I'd say last year was a bit easier than this year. Despite CSU's forecast the majority of consensus (even here 2k) was pretty good at seeing the weak Nina being a favorable entity that eventually did pan out to pretty good numbers for the board as a whole. This year has a lot more mixed signals and short terms variables may play a bigger role than normal.

Instead of looking at ENSO, which may turn out to be not much of a clue, how the Atlantic condition behaves may just rule the roost.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby NDG » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:55 am

WeatherEmperor wrote:
Alyono wrote:I'm not as pessimistic on activity this year as I was last year. Had the PDO not have crashed like it did in late September, the season would have been well below average. That said, we had only 3 storms from Sept 20 through the end of the season. They all becomes cat 3+ though. Those 3 storms made up about an average season's worth of ACE

But the PDO is just as positive as last year and instead of la nina at the equator we are likely to see el nino at the equator this year. Also pressures are expected to be higher than normal in the MDR similar to last year. So if most of the conditions are forecast to be similar to last year how come you are not as pessimistic this year?

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

For the record the PDO is currently not as positive as it was this same time last year.
Last month was at 0.74 compared to 2.4 last year. Waters along NW N.A. are cooler than last year.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#32 Postby Alyono » Wed May 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Cuba is only going for 10 storms and 6 hurricanes
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby OuterBanker » Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 am

Alyono wrote:Cuba is only going for 10 storms and 6 hurricanes

Alyono,
Is that for the season or only for Cuba! :eek: :flag:
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#34 Postby Alyono » Thu May 11, 2017 6:35 am

OuterBanker wrote:
Alyono wrote:Cuba is only going for 10 storms and 6 hurricanes

Alyono,
Is that for the season or only for Cuba! :eek: :flag:

that's their seasonal forecast, which I STRONGLY disagree with. They are calling for far too many el niño impacts
1 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Thu May 11, 2017 4:23 pm

The more I've looked as May is going by, the more I am thinking many of these forecasts are underdone. This is the first year in a while that you have had solid warm anomalies in the MDR with a solid cool anomaly sitting above it which will lower pressures in the MDR. Also its looking like the possible El Nino is going to more likely be neutral (La Nada). This isnt the same pattern we've seen the last several years.
4 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#36 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Next releases of forecasts from the experts are as follow:

May 25=NOAA
May 26=TSR
June 1= CSU
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Kazmit » Thu May 11, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm curious to see what NOAA will forecast for this season.
1 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby Kingarabian » Sun May 14, 2017 6:04 pm

Weatherbell's updated May 12 forecast is out.

They upped their numbers a bit to 11-13 from 10-12. ACE from 75-95. They stressed that the forecast is very complicated, and that the El Nino is likely to form but they are not too worried about it since they believe it will be a Modoki (despite the fact that there's no signs that if an El Nino forms, it won't be a Modoki). Also they're calling for the major hurricane drought to end this season.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun May 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Weatherbell's updated May 12 forecast is out.

They upped their numbers a bit to 11-13 from 10-12. ACE from 75-95. They stressed that the forecast is very complicated, and that the El Nino is likely to form but they are not too worried about it since they believe it will be a Modoki (despite the fact that there's no signs that if an El Nino forms, it won't be a Modoki). Also they're calling for the major hurricane drought to end this season.

If the Euro is showing MSLP the most favorable in 11 years then why is he being so conservative with only 11-13 storms, 4-6 hurricanes, and 1-2 majors?

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/862840935582978049

0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby Kingarabian » Sun May 14, 2017 10:48 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Weatherbell's updated May 12 forecast is out.

If the Euro is showing MSLP the most favorable in 11 years then why is he being so conservative with only 11-13 storms, 4-6 hurricanes, and 1-2 majors?

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/862840935582978049

Weatherbell says the possibility of an El Nino, which have to be taken into account.

Bastardi firmly believes a Nino will form this season.

They've also had a very hard time in finding an analog for this season that takes the warm Pacific tempts into account (PDO region, east of Australia, Nino regions etc).
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”