Expert forecasts for the 2017 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Expert forecasts for the 2017 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#41 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Here are the Jim Williams (Hurricane City) predictions for the 2017 Atlantic season that includes the cities that have a High Risk and Moderate Risk of landfalls or center passing close.

http://www.hurricanecity.com/predictions
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert forecasts for the 2017 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#42 Postby Kazmit » Mon May 15, 2017 3:11 pm

:uarrow: Notice how many of the moderate to high risk areas are in the Northeast.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon May 15, 2017 3:24 pm

:uarrow: Something to keep in mind, he was nearly spot-on in predicting a storm taking the same or close to same track that Matthew took in his pre-season outlook like the one above.

This year he has a into the Texas Coastline or Northern Gulf Coast early season then a track similar or close to that of Hurricanes Charley and Wilma for later in the season.

This further supports my thoughts that there could be less East Coast ridging when compared to last season allowing a potential track into the GoM or cutting across or up the Florida peninsula coming out of the Western Caribbean. I also believe he is hinting at the Caribbean and GoM being more active than previous years.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby OuterBanker » Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 pm

JB's latest posted two days ago.
https://www.weatherbell.com/updated-201 ... ne-outlook

Kind of scary. Of particular disturbing interest is the 50’s to 60’s landfall maps he posted. Interesting how the models have gone from an El Nino in the Pacific and higher pressures in MDR to a slight chance of an El Nino and lower pressures in the MDR. It’s starting to look like any predictions or models prior to May isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.
0 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby Bocadude85 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:00 pm

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Something to keep in mind, he was nearly spot-on in predicting a storm taking the same or close to same track that Matthew took in his pre-season outlook like the one above.

This year he has a into the Texas Coastline or Northern Gulf Coast early season then a track similar or close to that of Hurricanes Charley and Wilma for later in the season.

This further supports my thoughts that there could be less East Coast ridging when compared to last season allowing a potential track into the GoM or cutting across or up the Florida peninsula coming out of the Western Caribbean. I also believe he is hinting at the Caribbean and GoM being more active than previous years.

Normally I am very pessimistic about hurricane threats to SE Fla during any particular year, but this year I feel different. I think S.Fla will be under the gun this year...potentially from a major hurricane. I don't have any real scientific data to back this up...it's more of a gut feeling. Only time will tell if I am right or wrong.
3 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue May 16, 2017 6:24 pm

Bocadude85 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Something to keep in mind, he was nearly spot-on in predicting a storm taking the same or close to same track that Matthew took in his pre-season outlook like the one above.

Normally I am very pessimistic about hurricane threats to SE Fla during any particular year, but this year I feel different. I think S.Fla will be under the gun this year...potentially from a major hurricane. I don't have any real scientific data to back this up...it's more of a gut feeling. Only time will tell if I am right or wrong.

I also have a gut feeling that S. FL won't be as fortunate as last season with Matthew being a near-miss as a major hurricane. I've had this gut feeling for several months now but I also had a gut feeling prior to the 2010 season and look what happened. My guess is that we are more likely to be under the gun from a backdoor Western Caribbean storm like Wilma was as opposed to from the East similar to Matthew or something coming off Africa.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby Bocadude85 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:56 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Bocadude85 wrote:

I also have a gut feeling that S. FL won't be as fortunate as last season with Matthew being a near-miss as a major hurricane. I've had this gut feeling for several months now but I also had a gut feeling prior to the 2010 season and look what happened. My guess is that we are more likely to be under the gun from a backdoor Western Caribbean storm like Wilma was as opposed to from the East similar to Matthew or something coming off Africa.

I'm thinking something similar to a Hurricane Donna track but a bit farther north into Miami-Dade county.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Bocadude85 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
Bocadude85 wrote:

I'm thinking something similar to a Hurricane Donna track but a bit farther north into Miami-Dade county.

I guess you're expecting an exceptionally strong Bermuda High?
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby weathaguyry » Tue May 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Bocadude85 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
Bocadude85 wrote:

And here, all of us on Long Island are not yet fully recovered from Sandy at all. I am extremely fearful of a Donna track this year as well, but 50 miles can make all the difference around here, as in 1954, you had a Major Hurricane Strike out on the Island, and it had little effect towards the NYC area, but if we see something like Donna/Belle/Gloria or *Gulp* the 1938 Hurricane up here, that would not be good. I consider Sandy more of an anomaly, because it was not fully tropical in nature, it was a hurricane that transformed into a monster Nor-Easter like system. I know numerous people thought that Sandy was the "big-one" up here, without truly understanding the nature of that system. If there were a fully tropical Cat 2 that smashed into NYC during High Tide, it would probably have similar (if not worse) effects than Sandy, so I am very nervous indeed, and we shall see how the season progresses.
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#50 Postby Alyono » Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 pm

weathaguyry wrote:
Bocadude85 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:I also have a gut feeling that S. FL won't be as fortunate as last season with Matthew being a near-miss as a major hurricane. I've had this gut feeling for several months now but I also had a gut feeling prior to the 2010 season and look what happened. My guess is that we are more likely to be under the gun from a backdoor Western Caribbean storm like Wilma was as opposed to from the East similar to Matthew or something coming off Africa.

And here, all of us on Long Island are not yet fully recovered from Sandy at all. I am extremely fearful of a Donna track this year as well, but 50 miles can make all the difference around here, as in 1954, you had a Major Hurricane Strike out on the Island, and it had little effect towards the NYC area, but if we see something like Donna/Belle/Gloria or *Gulp* the 1938 Hurricane up here, that would not be good. I consider Sandy more of an anomaly, because it was not fully tropical in nature, it was a hurricane that transformed into a monster Nor-Easter like system. I know numerous people thought that Sandy was the "big-one" up here, without truly understanding the nature of that system. If there were a fully tropical Cat 2 that smashed into NYC during High Tide, it would probably have similar (if not worse) effects than Sandy, so I am very nervous indeed, and we shall see how the season progresses.

cat 2 into NYC at high tide is many orders of magnitude worse than Sandy. There would be tidal surges over 20 feet if that were the case. The East and Hudson rivers would be merging into one over lower Manhattan
1 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 pm

0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby OuterBanker » Thu May 18, 2017 3:04 pm

cycloneye wrote:Here are the Jim Williams (Hurricane City) predictions for the 2017 Atlantic season that includes the cities that have a High Risk and Moderate Risk of landfalls or center passing close.

http://www.hurricanecity.com/predictions

At first I didn't see us listed in the high risk areas and felt relieved. Today I clicked on the map and saw his possible tracks layout. Is that not a Donna repeat?

But, don't mind me. I'm just nervous after last year (and many other that preceded it).

I always thought that CSU was an odd place to make hurricane predictions.

Now thinking that Bill Gray was a genius, what an ideal place to make them!
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby OuterBanker » Fri May 19, 2017 10:24 am

Phil Klotzbach's 5/16/17 Power Point presentation to the Governors conference.

Click the word "presentation" in the box in the top right of the page.

Not sure if you have to have a copy of Power Point or not.
0 likes   

JPmia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby JPmia » Fri May 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Can you provide a link?
1 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#55 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Fri May 19, 2017 2:28 pm

OuterBanker wrote:Phil Klotzbach's 5/16/17 Power Point presentation to the Governors conference.

Click the word "presentation" in the box in the top right of the page.

Not sure if you have to have a copy of Power Point or not.

Where is the link?
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby OuterBanker » Fri May 19, 2017 3:22 pm

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat May 20, 2017 5:49 pm

The Weather Channel upped their numbers, now predicting an above average season.

http://wxch.nl/2qFkfIn

0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby OuterBanker » Sat May 20, 2017 8:26 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:The Weather Channel upped their numbers, now predicting an above average season.

Not doubt due to the big flip in the eastern Atlantic and the mdr that the April models didn't see coming. Not let's see if CSU follows suit.
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby Kazmit » Sat May 20, 2017 9:07 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:The Weather Channel upped their numbers, now predicting an above average season.

Not surprising. I'm expecting most of the agencies to raise their numbers before June 1st.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#60 Postby Alyono » Sat May 20, 2017 9:20 pm

15/8/4 is a far better average than is 12/6/3
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”