Bay of Bengal about to get active again

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Bay of Bengal about to get active again

#1 Postby Alyono » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:12 pm

All models are developing something next week. Looks like a disturbance near the Maldives is the cause. 12Z models have come in quite a bit stronger, with the EC now at 980mb at day 10. MU significantly lower than that, but it has quicker development

Major disagreement with regards ot the track. CMC takes this toward Malaysia while the MU takes it to Sri Lanka
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Bay of Bengal about to get active again

#2 Postby wxmann_91 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:39 am

What the heck... isn't this way out of season for that area? Is the NE monsoon just not manifesting itself in the BoB this past month?
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby Alyono » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:00 am

yeah, I don't remember any January systems off hand.

Although, last year we had that hurricane in the CPAC nearly on the equator and was threatening Tarawa, as well as a January hurricane in the Azores

Been a lot of strange occurrences the last few years
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby 1900hurricane » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:23 am

Systems, especially significant ones, climatologically drop off fairly sharply after mid-December, but it isn't impossible to have one form this time of year. 1964 had a significant tropical cyclone in the back half of December. I think there may have been another significant one that may have crossed into January too, but I can't remember any details about that one, and it is possible that I mis-remembered.

It wouldn't be impossible, but these systems certainly aren't a dime a dozen.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Digital-TC-Chaser

#5 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:47 am

Eye-balling the EC,it appears the system is seeded from a MT approx 5-6 N/ 90E. Think at this time
of year shear would be v/strong in the upper regions in the BOB. But stranger things have happened i guess.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6 Postby wxman57 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:14 pm

January BoB cyclones are about as common as those in April, September, or June. I did a study a few years back. Since 1977, there have been 4 January TCs in the BoB in January (5 in April, Sept, or June). Last one was in 2006.
0 likes   

Digital-TC-Chaser

#7 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:52 pm

GFS 9.1.17.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby Alyono » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:07 pm

now invest 90B
0 likes   

Calasanjy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby Calasanjy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:01 am

It is rather odd that the Bay of Bengal is active and spinning out several storms this time of year when the area of the Indian Ocean to the south of it has been dead so far this season...does anyone know how the activity between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres corresponds? It is rare to have storms in the North Indian Ocean this time of year, but would it be feasible to have activity on both sides of the Equator?
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”