Paper: Periods of Greater Atlantic Hurricane Activity Linked to Weaker U.S. Landfalls

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Paper: Periods of Greater Atlantic Hurricane Activity Linked to Weaker U.S. Landfalls

#1 Postby tolakram » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:12 pm

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AJC3
Admin
Admin

Re: Paper: Periods of Greater Atlantic Hurricane Activity Linked to Weaker U.S. Landfalls

#2 Postby AJC3 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:50 pm

I look forward to reading this. My first thought is this: comparing the intensity of Matthew, a major October hurricane at two points with a north-south distance of about 900 miles, seems a little questionable as far as verifying this "effect". But I really should read the paper in full before shooting from the hip like this...
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Paper: Periods of Greater Atlantic Hurricane Activity Linked to Weaker U.S. Landfalls

#3 Postby Alyono » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:19 pm

I want to read this as well. Seems interesting
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Blown Away » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:21 am

How are they indentifying this buffer?
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby terstorm1012 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:15 am

You should be able to read this paper in full here (but not print it or download it): http://www.nature.com/articles/nature20 ... ytimes.com
I'm going to read it this morning but I do want to say it doesn't quite pass the sniff-test for me...just yet...but I haven't made the time to read it yet.
1 likes   

Calasanjy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby Calasanjy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Without having read the paper, would this potentially indicate that more tropical cyclones/hurricanes are forming in areas deeper into the tropical Atlantic/Caribbean and reaching their maxima before impacting the US (assuming they even reach the US) during more active seasons/decades as opposed to directly off the coastline and/or in the Gulf of Mexico? That would be my guess; however I would be interested in reading this study and doing further research on this matter.
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Patrick99 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:13 am

Interesting. I mean, hurricanes Charley, Katrina 1.0, Jeanne and Wilma in particular might beg to differ with this in that they all intensified prior to landfall, and were within the period of greater hurricane activity. Same with several other storms that impacted South Florida in the 1920-1950 time frame.

It might be that South Florida isn't necessarily part of the U.S. "buffer zone" as set out in this article.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”