Gulf of Mexico water temps

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Gulf of Mexico water temps

#21 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Looking at tropical tidbits and seeing ENSO 1\2 cooling drastically and the EPAC MDR cooling quite a bit if that continues regardless of El Nino the western GOM might have real trouble if the SSTAs are even close to what they are now so if the profiles look similar in May or June that will be when I will say put on your helmets its going to be a bumpy ride but as of right now I would stay vigilant of that and not get too stressed out as we are still 2 months and 5 days from the start of hurricane season
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:45 am

Hurricaneman wrote:Looking at tropical tidbits and seeing ENSO 1\2 cooling drastically and the EPAC MDR cooling quite a bit if that continues regardless of El Nino the western GOM might have real trouble if the SSTAs are even close to what they are now so if the profiles look similar in May or June that will be when I will say put on your helmets its going to be a bumpy ride but as of right now I would stay vigilant of that and not get too stressed out as we are still 2 months and 5 days from the start of hurricane season

Regardless of an El-Nino or not, SST's in the GOM are always sizzling hot. The only thing that matters for the GOM is whether shear being favorable or not.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#23 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:03 am

Kingarabian wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:Looking at tropical tidbits and seeing ENSO 1\2 cooling drastically and the EPAC MDR cooling quite a bit if that continues regardless of El Nino the western GOM might have real trouble if the SSTAs are even close to what they are now so if the profiles look similar in May or June that will be when I will say put on your helmets its going to be a bumpy ride but as of right now I would stay vigilant of that and not get too stressed out as we are still 2 months and 5 days from the start of hurricane season

Regardless of an El-Nino or not, SST's in the GOM are always sizzling hot. The only thing that matters for the GOM is whether shear being favorable or not.

That's true. The water could be boiling in the Gulf and it wouldn't mean development is any more likely there. However, warmer water would lead to greater intensity potential, all else being equal.
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby stormlover2013 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am

I was talking to my buddy who is a meteorologist and he feels its going to be an active year this year.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:53 pm

With only a few cold fronts this year, leading to the lack of days with a strong north wind, which would produce upwelling in the Gulf and cooler water. At least i think thats whats happening. What i do hope it means for us in SE Tx is more moisture coming coming onshore with the sea breeze thunderstorms, or that storms occur more frequently to cool us down.

Tropical system wise, we need so much more than warm water to make things happen. Not too worried about that. Maybe once a storm gets its act together, rapid development would be a concern. For now, im hoping for some widespread sea breeze storms to occur.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby PTrackerLA » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:58 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned until I see all other factors for the Gulf actually be "favorable" during the peak hurricane months. It's been many years since we've seen a truly active GOM...always seems to be too much wind shear or dry air. The last two Gulf hurricanes to affect the US struggled significantly (Isaac 2012 and Hermine 2016) although Isaac's very slow movement and large size ended up causing lots of problems.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”