2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#161 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:20 pm

:uarrow: Doesn't look very El Niño-ish if you ask me.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#162 Postby weathaguyry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:00 pm

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Doesn't look very El Niño-ish if you ask me.

Agreed, also, I've heard a lot of people talk about the PDO being very positive, but isn't it nowhere near as positive as it was at the start of last season?
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#163 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 pm

2017 is the year that I hope brings changes to the CFS. It basically calls for an El Nino every year.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#164 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Looks like a positive Atlantic tripole seems to be trying to establish itself, we have to see if the MDR can warm a little bit more but that's my impression on this
1 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#165 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:Looks like a positive Atlantic tripole seems to be trying to establish itself, we have to see if the MDR can warm a little bit more but that's my impression on this

What would this mean for the Atlantic season if that is the case?
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#166 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:32 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:Looks like a positive Atlantic tripole seems to be trying to establish itself, we have to see if the MDR can warm a little bit more but that's my impression on this

What would this mean for the Atlantic season if that is the case?

Usually means a more favorable environment for tropical systems to develop in the MDR
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#167 Postby AutoPenalti » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:01 pm

I honestly wanted to rule out 2005 as an analog for this season, since it was such a hyper-active season, but considering the latest developments and the warming of the MDR and what seems to be like a positive tripole trying to develop, I can't help but say that it's something that cannot be ruled out. I'm not saying we may see something as active as last decade, however we may see something close to an active season compared to prior years. Quite interesting to say the least.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#168 Postby Hammy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:18 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:I honestly wanted to rule out 2005 as an analog for this season, since it was such a hyper-active season, but considering the latest developments and the warming of the MDR and what seems to be like a positive tripole trying to develop, I can't help but say that it's something that cannot be ruled out. I'm not saying we may see something as active as last decade, however we may see something close to an active season compared to prior years. Quite interesting to say the least.

I think track-wise 2005 would actually be a good year to use, as the Gulf and Caribbean, as well as the subtropical Atlantic, were quite active, while the MDR was largely dead--that being said I don't see the number of intensity of storms from that year being repeated.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#169 Postby WeatherEmperor » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:02 pm

I see you guys mentioning 2005 as a possible analog and also the warming of the MDR waters. What does this mean in terms of the Euro still forecasting above normal pressures for the MDR? Could the Euro back off on this in future runs??

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#170 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:05 pm

I agree with Hammy that 2005 could only be an analog track-wise. In no way is it an analog numbers-wise.

In fact just listening to many on here go on about how the Atlantic should actually be less favorable overall when compared to last season, and the East/Central Pacific should be much more favorable than what it was last season I'd go with the majority of storms that do affect land(including the U.S.) being on the weaker side of things.

I still think once again Colorado State is being too low with their numbers. 14/6/3 seems reasonable for now.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#171 Postby Ntxw » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:17 pm

CSU has been on the lower end of the spectrum past few years. Conditions are not that bad, or doesn't seem like it at this point. But there is no big signal for a huge season either. 2005, like 1983 on the other end of the spectrum, are extreme seasons. They are once a lifetime kind of seasons and are rare. Had the past 3-4 seasons been hyperactive the argument could be made for comparison. A near normal season, perhaps more emphasis on quantity but a lot of mixed signals. We should have a better idea next month.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#172 Postby Kazmit » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Numbers-wise, I think we'll see something similar to last year, although probably no more than that. And yes, as others are saying, I think there will be more land impacts this year, at least for most of the season. A lot depends on whether or not El Niño develops, but I personally doubt it.
1 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#173 Postby Alyono » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:33 am

Ntxw wrote:CSU has been on the lower end of the spectrum past few years. Conditions are not that bad, or doesn't seem like it at this point. But there is no big signal for a huge season either. 2005, like 1983 on the other end of the spectrum, are extreme seasons. They are once a lifetime kind of seasons and are rare. Had the past 3-4 seasons been hyperactive the argument could be made for comparison. A near normal season, perhaps more emphasis on quantity but a lot of mixed signals. We should have a better idea next month.

Just a note that 2005 was initially forecast to be an average season of 15/8/4
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#174 Postby chaser1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Alyono wrote:
Ntxw wrote:CSU has been on the lower end of the spectrum past few years. Conditions are not that bad, or doesn't seem like it at this point. But there is no big signal for a huge season either. 2005, like 1983 on the other end of the spectrum, are extreme seasons. They are once a lifetime kind of seasons and are rare. Had the past 3-4 seasons been hyperactive the argument could be made for comparison. A near normal season, perhaps more emphasis on quantity but a lot of mixed signals. We should have a better idea next month.

I certainly don't remember but do you recall "when" and "what" conditions evolved that year where everyone began taking greater notice that the season might evolve the way it did? I'm curious what particular signals did that years' global long range models essentially "bust on" or simply not anticipate?

Now that I"m thinking about it, I wonder which pre-season forecast prognostications were the most bullish about that upcoming season.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#175 Postby Alyono » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 pm

chaser1 wrote:
Alyono wrote:

I certainly don't remember but do you recall "when" and "what" conditions evolved that year where everyone began taking greater notice that the season might evolve the way it did? I'm curious what particular signals did that years' global long range models essentially "bust on" or simply not anticipate?

Now that I"m thinking about it, I wonder which pre-season forecast prognostications were the most bullish about that upcoming season.

the first 2005 hyperactive forecast was the August one, after we were already at 7/3/2
1 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#176 Postby WeatherEmperor » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Over in the ENSO thread they just posted that a significant WWB is about to take place which could kick start this El Nino. I dont think number wise we should be using 2005 as an analog if the Nini gets going but maybe trackwise its ok?

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#177 Postby NDG » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:16 pm

WeatherEmperor wrote:I see you guys mentioning 2005 as a possible analog and also the warming of the MDR waters. What does this mean in terms of the Euro still forecasting above normal pressures for the MDR? Could the Euro back off on this in future runs??

Just about every year during the past 5-6 years the Euro has biased on the high side when it comes to pressures over the Atlantic basin.
1 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#178 Postby weathaguyry » Mon May 01, 2017 7:21 pm

Quite a bit of warming in the MDR, looking nice!

0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#179 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon May 01, 2017 9:13 pm

:uarrow: Here are the last several years SST's Anomalies at the beginning of May just for comparison. In fact the Tropical Atlantic looks to be the warmest it's been in years! Though that could mean very little as it all depends on what the vertical instability and wind shear looks like. The thing that sticks out the most is the cool strip stretching from the extreme SW Atlantic northeast into the Central North Atlantic, looks to be the coolest it's been since 2013, what could that mean?

3 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#180 Postby Hammy » Mon May 01, 2017 9:50 pm

CFS July forecast showing potentially three separate tracks--while this is still quite a ways out and I don't necessarily think these exact paths would be followed, could this be an indicator that July could be somewhat more active than in the last several years?
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”