2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#1321 Postby MetroMike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:24 pm

In todays free video update Joe Bastardi maintains we will break the major hurricane hit drought for the US mainland this season.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1322 Postby gatorcane » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Wind shear looks pretty darn favorable as we start to build up towards the climatological peak in about 1 month from now. It looked NOTHING like this in 2015 and not sure about 2016 but guessing something similar. We still see shear across the Caribbean but that seems to be gradually diminishing I have noticed over the past couple of weeks.

1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1323 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Here comes the real train of waves.

1 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1324 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:06 pm

NDG wrote:Here comes the real train of waves.

I believe this is the start of something, and that you are right. The waves look higher in latitude as well. 8-)
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1325 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 pm

We're have we said this before lol... :roll:

In all seriousness we're approaching the REAL season so I'd expect atleast 1-2 of these waves to eventually to develop.
2 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#1326 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:04 am

SFLcane wrote:We're have we said this before lol... :roll:

In all seriousness we're approaching the REAL season so I'd expect atleast 1-2 of these waves to eventually to develop.

The models are starting to pick up on that, I expect the models to show more development in the coming days on into September
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1327 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1328 Postby Alyono » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:43 am

MetroMike wrote:In todays free video update Joe Bastardi maintains we will break the major hurricane hit drought for the US mainland this season.

doesn't he say that EVERY season?

It is VERY hard to get a "major" into the USA. Except for Puerto Rico, the USA is at a relatively high latitude. Storms at these latitudes usually start to become larger. So, you end up with very large cat 1s and 2s. They will have a major impact for sure. Puerto Rico is a very small target
4 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1329 Postby RL3AO » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:46 am

Alyono wrote:It is VERY hard to get a "major" into the USA. Except for Puerto Rico, the USA is at a relatively high latitude. Storms at these latitudes usually start to become larger. So, you end up with very large cat 1s and 2s. They will have a major impact for sure. Puerto Rico is a very small target

I hate the term "major hurricane", because it makes storms like Ike, Isaac, Sandy (that's a separate issue), and Matthew as non-major hurricane landfalls (or near landfalls) which can imply a lack of "major" impacts.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1330 Postby Alyono » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 am

RL3AO wrote:
Alyono wrote:It is VERY hard to get a "major" into the USA. Except for Puerto Rico, the USA is at a relatively high latitude. Storms at these latitudes usually start to become larger. So, you end up with very large cat 1s and 2s. They will have a major impact for sure. Puerto Rico is a very small target

I hate the term "major hurricane", because it makes storms like Ike, Isaac, Sandy (that's a separate issue), and Matthew as non-major hurricane landfalls (or near landfalls) which can imply a lack of "major" impacts.

agreed. I refuse to even use that term
0 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1331 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:08 pm

RL3AO wrote:

It occurred consistently in the past. We have never even been close in recorded history to seeing 12 seasons plus without a major strike on the US. Just to point that out. A major hurricane has a major impact. Yes, some lower tier storms have done a lot of damage, but not on the scale of storms such as Andrew, Camille, Galveston Hurricane, Katrina, Charley, Fran, Hazel, and countless other major storms that did a whole lot of damage. The US has been spared by some very odd luck, but how we have been so lucky is up for debate.
2 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1332 Postby tolakram » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:31 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
It occurred consistently in the past. We have never even been close in recorded history to seeing 12 seasons plus without a major strike on the US. Just to point that out. A major hurricane has a major impact. Yes, some lower tier storms have done a lot of damage, but not on the scale of storms such as Andrew, Camille, Galveston Hurricane, Katrina, Charley, Fran, Hazel, and countless other major storms that did a whole lot of damage. The US has been spared by some very odd luck, but how we have been so lucky is up for debate.

Imagine if Katrina had weakened a little more and was a 2 when it came ashore. Damage would have been only slightly less, if at all. Ike is a great example of a storm that did not meet the numerical equivalent of a 'major' and yet had a massive impact.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1333 Postby Alyono » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
RL3AO wrote:

Many of those past storms likely would have been 1s and 2s if measured by today's standard
0 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1334 Postby AtlanticWind » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Alyono wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:
RL3AO wrote:

Many of those past storms likely would have been 1s and 2s if measured by today's standard

Curious, which of those storms listed would not be majors by today's standards?
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1335 Postby Alyono » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:20 pm

AtlanticWind wrote:
Alyono wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:

Fran for one may be a 2 today. The flight level winds were not impressive at all, despite the low pressure. Many of the 1950s and 1960s "majors" have been downgraded. IN addition, the reanalysis method used an older P/W relationship so some of those may still be too high (Audrey for one). Eve Ivan and Rita, there is strong evidence those were cat 2s and today, may be called cat 2s. SFMR was not used with as much emphasis then. Flight level winds were still the thing.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1336 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Alyono wrote:
AtlanticWind wrote:
Alyono wrote:

Fran for one may be a 2 today. The flight level winds were not impressive at all, despite the low pressure. Many of the 1950s and 1960s "majors" have been downgraded. IN addition, the reanalysis method used an older P/W relationship so some of those may still be too high (Audrey for one). Eve Ivan and Rita, there is strong evidence those were cat 2s and today, may be called cat 2s. SFMR was not used with as much emphasis then. Flight level winds were still the thing.

Likewise, wouldn't systems like Gustav and Ike in 2008 and possibly Arthur in 2014 have been classified as majors had they occurred in the 50s? I feel too much is made of this "major hurricane drought" because increasingly it seems like a change in data interpretation more than anything, similarly to the apparent increase in smaller storms in the subtropics the last decade.
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1337 Postby AtlanticWind » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:43 pm

It is interesting living in south florida,I saw what Andrew did to a relatively small area here,
and what impact tho milder Wilma had on all of South Florida.
Every Hurricane impact can be so different.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1338 Postby LarryWx » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:02 pm

If Gert were to form from 99L within the next couple of days, I'd have to call the first half of August as active/well above average in the Atlantic basin, especially considering that the 2nd half is much more active climowise. That would make it the most active 1st half since 2012.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#1339 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 pm

LarryWx wrote:If Gert were to form from 99L within the next couple of days, I'd have to call the first half of August as active/well above average in the Atlantic basin, especially considering that the 2nd half is much more active climowise. That would make it the most active 1st half since 2012.

I just cannot see the weatherbell forecast for a below average number of storms playing out. We are already halfway to 14 storms with many more coming. We could be near 10/12 named storms by Sept 1st.
1 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#1340 Postby weathaguyry » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:If Gert were to form from 99L within the next couple of days, I'd have to call the first half of August as active/well above average in the Atlantic basin, especially considering that the 2nd half is much more active climowise. That would make it the most active 1st half since 2012.

I just cannot see the weatherbell forecast for a below average number of storms playing out. We are already halfway to 14 storms with many more coming. We could be near 10/12 named storms by Sept 1st.

This kind of reminds me of 2012, not the best quality storms, but definitely an abundance of them!
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”