2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#41 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:12 am

:uarrow: Phil K. for at least past year or so has been always posting and tweeting about the negative factors going for the Atlantic. Now I know the Atlantic is not as favorable as it was a decade ago but there are still a few positive factors going for the Atlantic.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#42 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:57 pm

I think 2015 might be a comparable analog - not totally dead but not great in the Atlantic, above average in the EPAC, insanity in the CPAC...

The thought of a direct hit from the south of a major hurricane on Oahu should send chills down everyone's spines. It is not like we can drive resources from inland or up north to Hawaii in hours either...
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby SFLcane » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Alyono wrote:Mega Hawaii season!

Hawaii? Most tc's turn crapola before ever reaching the island.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#44 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:48 pm

SFLcane wrote:
Alyono wrote:Mega Hawaii season!

Hawaii? Most tc's turn crapola before ever reaching the island.

I think he is referring to systems forming South or SW of the Hawaian Islands.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:55 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:I think 2015 might be a comparable analog - not totally dead but not great in the Atlantic, above average in the EPAC, insanity in the CPAC...

The thought of a direct hit from the south of a major hurricane on Oahu should send chills down everyone's spines. It is not like we can drive resources from inland or up north to Hawaii in hours either...

Complete, absolute disaster.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby euro6208 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 pm

wxman57 wrote:The March ECMWF seasonal forecasts are in, though I can't post the images. Basically, the EC is forecasting 80% normal ACE for the Atlantic. Below-normal activity in both the Atlantic & East Pac this season, while the West Pac is well above-normal. High pressure and dry air dominate the deep tropics between Africa & the eastern Caribbean, making that region hostile for development.

How can we access the seasonal forecast ?
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#47 Postby cycloneye » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 am

euro6208 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:The March ECMWF seasonal forecasts are in, though I can't post the images. Basically, the EC is forecasting 80% normal ACE for the Atlantic. Below-normal activity in both the Atlantic & East Pac this season, while the West Pac is well above-normal. High pressure and dry air dominate the deep tropics between Africa & the eastern Caribbean, making that region hostile for development.

http://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/chart ... es=tercile summary
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#48 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:39 am

0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby Steve » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:31 am

cycloneye wrote:https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/844508884693848064

Definitely not a positive signal for the deep tropics or for long tracked systems. But that just means a shot at close in development and NW Atlantic systems north of the tropics. Whether this means US impacts remains to be seen.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#50 Postby wxman57 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:00 am

cycloneye wrote:
euro6208 wrote:

That's still the February forecast as of March 22nd. I get to see them around the 8th-10th of each month because we pay lots of $$$ for the full European model. They aren't made public until late in each month. Should be any day now.

Here's what I see:
1. EC predicts higher than normal pressure across much of the Atlantic. (inhibiting factor)
2. EC predicts dryer than normal conditions across the central to east Caribbean. Normal in tropical Atlantic and Gulf. (inhibiting factor)
3. EC predicting below-normal activity in the deep tropics between Africa & the Caribbean (as in recent seasons).
4. SSTs are generally cooler than they were last year at this time, except for the western Gulf.
5. EC is predicting a weak to perhaps moderate El Nino. (inhibiting factor)
6. CFS is also forecasting a weak to moderate El Nino. (inhibiting factor)
7. JAMSTEC is also forecasting weak to moderate El Nino. (inhibiting factor)
8. Analog seasons we've come up with are 1951, 1953, 1969, and 2009. A mixed bag. Some very active (1969) and some quite inactive (2009). Doesn't help much.

I'd go with near normal numbers & ACE at this point (12/6/3) and 110 ACE. The reason I'd start out so high is the uncertainty in the El Nino forecast. Numbers may have a better chance of being lower than higher.
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#51 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:12 pm

0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby euro6208 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:18 am

wxman57 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
euro6208 wrote:

That's still the February forecast as of March 22nd. I get to see them around the 8th-10th of each month because we pay lots of $$$ for the full European model. They aren't made public until late in each month. Should be any day now.

Here's what I see:
1. EC predicts higher than normal pressure across much of the Atlantic. (inhibiting factor)
2. EC predicts dryer than normal conditions across the central to east Caribbean. Normal in tropical Atlantic and Gulf. (inhibiting factor)
3. EC predicting below-normal activity in the deep tropics between Africa & the Caribbean (as in recent seasons).
4. SSTs are generally cooler than they were last year at this time, except for the western Gulf.
5. EC is predicting a weak to perhaps moderate El Nino. (inhibiting factor)
6. CFS is also forecasting a weak to moderate El Nino. (inhibiting factor)
7. JAMSTEC is also forecasting weak to moderate El Nino. (inhibiting factor)
8. Analog seasons we've come up with are 1951, 1953, 1969, and 2009. A mixed bag. Some very active (1969) and some quite inactive (2009). Doesn't help much.

I'd go with near normal numbers & ACE at this point (12/6/3) and 110 ACE. The reason I'd start out so high is the uncertainty in the El Nino forecast. Numbers may have a better chance of being lower than higher.

Interesting. How much may i ask? :lol:

How about the notorious WPAC?
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#53 Postby cycloneye » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:28 pm

0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:46 pm

The Atlantic MDR if it warms back up and if the subtropics continue to cool could spell trouble if the EPAC MDR continues to cool and or El Nino never gets going or ends up being a madoki could spell real trouble as thats a recipe for disaster and lets hope the Atlantic MDR remains on the cool side to lessen the threat or even have the El Nino come on
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#55 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:54 pm

cycloneye wrote:https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/846201249808691200

But how long are they going to stay down. Florida just ahd some very cold weather for this time of year. SSTs are notorious for reacting to the a cold atmosphere. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they rebound quickly. The normal cold pool in the mid Gulf is still there too. I haven't looked at the MSLP around the GOM. If they were trending lower I might be more concerned than I am currently.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby Rgv20 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 am

Taking a quick look on the CFSv2 precipitation anomaly for June it shows above average precipitation for the South West GOM, Western GOM, and BOC. Could be nothing but at least something to keep an eye on as we start the hurricane season.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#57 Postby RL3AO » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Fascinating TweetStorm from Michael Lowry about the remarkable warming off of Peru.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRLowry/status/846412535897174016

Check out his account for the rest of the Tweets.
3 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#58 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:00 am

RL3AO wrote:Fascinating TweetStorm from Michael Lowry about the remarkable warming off of Peru.
https://twitter.com/MichaelRLowry/statu ... 5897174016

Check out his account for the rest of the Tweets.

Thanks for sharing this! Very interesting indeed. I was actually wondering the same thing. It looks like the latest models are showing this happening this year.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#59 Postby NDG » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:47 am

IMO, the chances of another El Nino developing by ASO are very low based on past Super El Ninos that usually took more than 2 years for an El Nino to return.

BTW, the waters over the Gulf of Alaska have really cooled off during the past few weeks, what implications does this have for an El Nino to really get going this year?
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby Patrick99 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 am

I don't think I'd worry too much about cool SST anomalies in the Caribbean and tropical Atlantic right now - there were strong trade winds and late season fronts in March that roiled the seas up. I took a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean and experienced those trade winds for myself 8-) I'd be willing to bet that those recover to at least normal by the time hurricane season starts. In fact, from what I see on the latest anomaly maps, it looks like things have already started to recover from where they were a week ago.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”