2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#541 Postby Hammy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:22 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Hammy wrote:Vertical instability is slipping below normal yet again. The longer range models are also starting to trend towards less favorable conditions (particularly more shear) during August and September, and I've had a gut feeling since about April that this season is going to massively under-perform everyone's expectations.

Weren't you just the other day calling for the opposite?

I don't recall calling for an active season at any point, only noting that the waves appeared stronger than I'd seen recently--that says nothing for what the atmospheric conditions will be down the road. I also mentioned (after checking my posts, as I honestly didn't remember) on June 2 that the instability appeared to be leveling off (which it has in fact done.)
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#542 Postby TheAustinMan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Hammy wrote:
TheAustinMan wrote:...
http://i.imgur.com/s0ipeci.png

Is that massive sudden drop in mid-June of 2013 about when the thermohaline circulation weakened, which is what the quiet season has since been attributed to?

The weakening of the AMO/THC proxies as identified by Gray and Klotzbach over at CSU took place between late March and late June, so it was a multi-month collapse. CSU's index fell from 3.91 in March to -5.60 in May. The May-June value was the lowest in any year since at least 1950. The THC was at its weakest in May, and recovered by July, though CSU's post-season verification report hints that the effects of the THC's collapse lagged and thus were felt during peak season.
0 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#543 Postby Hammy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 pm

TheAustinMan wrote:
Hammy wrote:
TheAustinMan wrote:...
http://i.imgur.com/s0ipeci.png

Is that massive sudden drop in mid-June of 2013 about when the thermohaline circulation weakened, which is what the quiet season has since been attributed to?

The weakening of the AMO/THC proxies as identified by Gray and Klotzbach over at CSU took place between late March and late June, so it was a multi-month collapse. CSU's index fell from 3.91 in March to -5.60 in May. The May-June value was the lowest in any year since at least 1950. The THC was at its weakest in May, and recovered by July, though CSU's post-season verification report hints that the effects of the THC's collapse lagged and thus were felt during peak season.

Is there any way to check this in real time as a potential factor this year?
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#544 Postby tolakram » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:57 am

Hammy wrote:I don't recall calling for an active season at any point, only noting that the waves appeared stronger than I'd seen recently--that says nothing for what the atmospheric conditions will be down the road. I also mentioned (after checking my posts, as I honestly didn't remember) on June 2 that the instability appeared to be leveling off (which it has in fact done.)

Hi Hammy,

use this link for the instability chart as the one I usually watch is not updating correctly.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/TCFP/atlantic.html

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#545 Postby tolakram » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:10 am

VI Forecasts appear to predict VI falling over the next 48 hours but this may be pulsing up and down, I've never tracked it.

Tropical tidbits has this groovy Marine Instability chart from the GFS that includes predicted soundings if you click on a location.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=atl&pkg=thdv

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#546 Postby tolakram » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:13 am

Another one to watch from the GFS is the relative humidity. Dry air has been a real storm killer the last few years.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=atl&pkg=midRH
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#547 Postby gatorcane » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:52 am

tolakram wrote:Another one to watch from the GFS is the relative humidity. Dry air has been a real storm killer the last few years.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=atl&pkg=midRH

Yes it has but so far it is nothing like 2013 where there was plenty of mid-level dry air around South Florida preventing shower and thunderstorm development you would normally see in June sometimes the wettest month of the year. These dry airmasses pushed into South Florida from the Atlantic that summer so could be an indicator of a more moist Atlantic this year.
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#548 Postby OuterBanker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Of interest this morning was JB's daily update in which he mentions that in 2013 the pressures were higher in the Azores which caused the dry air coming off Africa and the upwelling that occurred which put the kabash on the season. This season it's reversed, there's lower pressures in the Azores and the waters have warmed up. Could have a major effect on this year’s season. We shall see.
Catch the link before tomorrows posting.
https://www.weatherbell.com/premium/

(public videos) which are free to the public.
0 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#549 Postby TheAustinMan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Hammy wrote:Is there any way to check this in real time as a potential factor this year?

I don't know of any real time way to check the current strength of the thermohaline circulation, though I imagine daily data for the variables used in Klotzbach and Gray's formulation of their THC proxy.

Reading through their 2013 verification report, there's a section that discusses their THC proxy. If I'm reading it right, their formula is the standard deviation of the surface meridional wind anomaly plus the standard deviation of the SST anomaly minus the standard deviation of the sea-level pressure anomaly (all concerning the Eastern Atlantic).

Using the NCEP Reanalysis Dataset over at ESRL I decided to use their formula to see what their THC proxy would say for this year. According to my calculations the THC proxy increased significantly between March and May 2017, and is presently quite positive. However, my calculations might be wrong because my values for 2013 don't match their published 2013 THC values (though that may be due to different datasets used; however, the general trends are somewhat there).

Regardless of the raw values, the qualitative parameters for a strong THC according to Klotzbach/Gray's formulation are all there. May 2017's Eastern Atlantic meridional wind anomalies were anomolously southerly (and, in fact, the most southerly for any May since the NCEP dataset began in 1948). Sea surface temperature anomalies were also anomolously warm, and the second warmest of any May since 1948 (behind 1995). May 2017's Eastern Atlantic sea level pressure anomalies were also anomolously low, and were the lowest May pressures for the region since records began in 1948.
1 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#550 Postby Hammy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:03 pm

TheAustinMan wrote:
Hammy wrote:Is there any way to check this in real time as a potential factor this year?

I don't know of any real time way to check the current strength of the thermohaline circulation, though I imagine daily data for the variables used in Klotzbach and Gray's formulation of their THC proxy.

Reading through their 2013 verification report, there's a section that discusses their THC proxy. If I'm reading it right, their formula is the standard deviation of the surface meridional wind anomaly plus the standard deviation of the SST anomaly minus the standard deviation of the sea-level pressure anomaly (all concerning the Eastern Atlantic).

Using the NCEP Reanalysis Dataset over at ESRL I decided to use their formula to see what their THC proxy would say for this year. According to my calculations the THC proxy increased significantly between March and May 2017, and is presently quite positive. However, my calculations might be wrong because my values for 2013 don't match their published 2013 THC values (though that may be due to different datasets used; however, the general trends are somewhat there).

Regardless of the raw values, the qualitative parameters for a strong THC according to Klotzbach/Gray's formulation are all there. May 2017's Eastern Atlantic meridional wind anomalies were anomolously southerly (and, in fact, the most southerly for any May since the NCEP dataset began in 1948). Sea surface temperature anomalies were also anomolously warm, and the second warmest of any May since 1948 (behind 1995). May 2017's Eastern Atlantic sea level pressure anomalies were also anomolously low, and were the lowest May pressures for the region since records began in 1948.

Does all of this point to 2017 not being a repeat of 2013? It's been a lingering suspicion of mine given how the late winter/early spring pattern was shaping up, having more of a winter-type pattern with the storms (tracking much further south than normal, to the point of having snow flurries in GA in mid-March), rather than the large north-south oriented fronts more typical of spring.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#551 Postby tolakram » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:23 am

Hammy wrote:
Does all of this point to 2017 not being a repeat of 2013? It's been a lingering suspicion of mine given how the late winter/early spring pattern was shaping up, having more of a winter-type pattern with the storms (tracking much further south than normal, to the point of having snow flurries in GA in mid-March), rather than the large north-south oriented fronts more typical of spring.

New England has been unusually cold but the pattern has flipped to unusually warm. I do think it's a fair question, I wish we had better indicators but I'm a little lost on what to look for as well.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#552 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:15 am

tolakram wrote:
Hammy wrote:

New England has been unusually cold but the pattern has flipped to unusually warm. I do think it's a fair question, I wish we had better indicators but I'm a little lost on what to look for as well.

The falling pressures and possible development over the W. Caribbean and Central America foretasted by most models seem in-line with Climatology. On the other hand, I'm curious if it could be determined whether the seemingly anomalous high amplitude tropical waves that we're seeing emerge off the African coastline, are Kelvin wave enhanced? If so, might this be indicative of a weakening Pacific MJO condition with the MJO migrating to a position that would enhance Atlantic tropical development?
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#553 Postby Hammy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Average of the MDR instability is slipping further away from normal, as expected.

1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#554 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:37 pm

I'd be willing to bet that we'll soon see a reversal with regards to Atlantic MDR instability. I think that this increase in Atlantic MDR instability will be persistent through most of August and September
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#555 Postby tolakram » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:32 am

Hammy wrote:Average of the MDR instability is slipping further away from normal, as expected.

http://i.imgur.com/FXyjYVp.png

I would not make this statement, in my opinion anyway, until I see the next rise. Instability normally pulses up and down so it's the average we are looking for. I would like to see it rise above the long term average line as well. There's also the question of weather this is a leading or trailing indicator.

This was 2006 ... not a big year.

2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#556 Postby Bocadude85 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:35 am

Hammy wrote:Average of the MDR instability is slipping further away from normal, as expected.

We could potentially see two tropical cyclones in the next 7 days. Obviously something in the Atlantic is favorable this year. We have some pretty active tropical waves traversing the MDR currently, I would bet that you will see a rise in vertical instability in the coming weeks.
1 likes   

tatertawt24
Category 1
Category 1

#557 Postby tatertawt24 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:39 am

Bocadude85 wrote:

We could potentially see two tropical cyclones in the next 7 days. Obviously something in the Atlantic is favorable this year. We have some pretty active tropical waves traversing the MDR currently, I would bet that you will see a rise in vertical instability in the coming weeks.

lol I wouldn't go that far yet. 2013 had two June storms too. :lol:
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#558 Postby weathaguyry » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:49 am

tatertawt24 wrote:
Bocadude85 wrote:

At this time in 2013, there was noticeably drier air off the coast of Africa, and the waves were much less robust. There was also a lot of cold water off the coast of Spain, running down the coast of Africa which is essentially the opposite this year.
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#559 Postby RL3AO » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 am

The instability chart is nice and all that, but what does it mean? How meaningful is it to have the tropical Atlantic slightly below climatology using this parameter? From my understanding, it's taking the surface theta-e parcel and subtracting it from the vertical mean theta-es (saturation equivalent potential temperature), and then averaging that over the entire region. It's not entirely clear to me how well this will account for things like mid-level dry air. Obviously, it will some since that layer would have a lower theta-es if it's drier. I'd be much more interested in tracking mid-level moisture vs climatology and wind shear vs climatology. They're more direct and express more meaningful data. It doesn't take much to create thunderstorms in the tropics if you have some sort of disturbance (tropical wave, Kelvin wave, favorable MJO, and so on). I'd just recommend people not put too much emphasis on an instability chart that is averaging out a lot of things over a very large area. It doesn't exactly tell you how the conditions are at a specific location where a storm wave is, for example.
2 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#560 Postby Bocadude85 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:56 am

tatertawt24 wrote:
Bocadude85 wrote:

The difference is we are talking about a possible storm in the MDR in June. It very well may not develop (chances are that it won't) but the waves are very healthy for so early in the year.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”