2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#601 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Yeah your right, seems as if the overall Atlantic basin shows an expanding area of high SST anomalies! Though I'm not sure, does it seem as if the waters off the northeast U.S. and Canadian maritime have cooled during the same period as compared to a month or two ago?

On an altogether different note, notice those few "hot spots" across the entire globe (especially the area depicted by dark red off the East coast of S. America!?). Is it odd to anyone else that in all localized area's where the very highest SST anomalies are appearing, they're primarily surrounded by pockets of average to cooler than average anomalous SST's? Kind of hard to wrap my head around why that would occur. Could that be the result of some type of offshore industrial or significant underground volcanic activity?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#602 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:17 pm

@RyanMaue
As hurricane season progresses, we look into the far Tropical Atlantic for tropical waves. African dust outbreaks keep a lid on development

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/877603736247427073

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#603 Postby RL3AO » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 pm

cycloneye wrote:@RyanMaue
As hurricane season progresses, we look into the far Tropical Atlantic for tropical waves. African dust outbreaks keep a lid on development

Maybe my memory is failing, but I seem to remember a lot more oranges and yellows (on his color bar) getting down into the MDR latitudes (10 to 20N) with SAL outbreaks last year.
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#604 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:42 pm

RL3AO wrote:

Maybe my memory is failing, but I seem to remember a lot more oranges and yellows (on his color bar) getting down into the MDR latitudes (10 to 20N) with SAL outbreaks last year.

I was thinking the same thing. Seemed as if recent year SAL outbreaks were both, more expansive including further south AND did not disperse nearly as quickly as that loop had projected. Of course we're still in mid June and "Saharaan Appreciation Month" is quickly approaching lol. Time will tell whether larger and denser outbreaks will occur as we get into July. I wonder what would be the overall cause "if" it turns out that SAL outbreaks end up further north, less dense, and dispersing faster? Aside from whether recent spring patterns were a cause of greater precip. over western regions of Africa that could result in less dust, i suppose the other main factor would largely be a result of the orientation and strength of the southern edge of 750mb-500mb level Easterly trades coming off the African coastline?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

BigA
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#605 Postby BigA » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:58 pm

chaser1 wrote:
RL3AO wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Seemed as if recent year SAL outbreaks were both, more expansive including further south AND did not disperse nearly as quickly as that loop had projected. Of course we're still in mid June and "Saharaan Appreciation Month" is quickly approaching lol. Time will tell whether larger and denser outbreaks will occur as we get into July. I wonder what would be the overall cause "if" it turns out that SAL outbreaks end up further north, less dense, and dispersing faster? Aside from whether recent spring patterns were a cause of greater precip. over western regions of Africa that could result in less dust, i suppose the other main factor would largely be a result of the orientation and strength of the southern edge of 750mb-500mb level Easterly trades coming off the African coastline?

I would hypothesize that the main contributor to the (potentially) weaker SAL outbreaks is the somewhat weaker than normal easterly winds coming off the African coast around 15-25 North during the last month.

Rainfall amounts may also affect dust outbreaks, though there is some uncertainty whether dust outbreaks are more related to rainfall during the current year or the previous year. Regardless, it is well-documented that Sahel precipitation from June-September is positively correlated Atlantic hurricanes that year (e.g., Landsea and Gray 1992).

Currently, the African Intertropical Front (ITF) is substantially to the north of it's climatological mean position. Thus, the moist, tropical air and associated precipitation are also north of the mean position. This may reduce the severity of SAL outbreaks, but I am not certain.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/i ... itcz.shtml

For what it's worth, the NMME predicts substantially above-normal Sahel precipitation during July-September, while the ECMWF and UKMET climate models predict near-normal precipitation in the western Sahel (though the UKMET has above normal in the eastern Sahel).

Worth keeping an eye on as we head toward the MDR part of season.
4 likes   

Steve820
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#606 Postby Steve820 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:12 pm

RL3AO wrote:
Steve820 wrote:I wonder if climate change could be responsible for the recent streak of years with 3 named storms in the Atl by 6/20. Before 2012 the two occurrences (1887 and 1959) were very spread out. And seeing a MDR storm this early as well as Cindy being active at a similar time kind of freaks me out about what the rest of the season might look like (Aug to Oct especially) :eek:

It's most likely observations that are leading to it. Storms like Arlene (2017) simply weren't caught in the pre-satellite era, and often weren't considered tropical storms before the 1990s/2000s. You could even argue a hurricane like Alex last year might not have been caught in a pre-satellite era. Any ship report of a hurricane in January would have likely been laughed at.

That's possible. Especially weak out-to-sea storms like Arlene would have never been detected way back then. In fact, any Alex repeats back in pre-satellite era that were reported by ships might have been mistaken for just a "big storm" because no one would take seriously a hurricane forming before May or June.
0 likes   
Hurricanes are an amazing natural phenomena. While many are spiraling pits of evil that kill people or cause devastation, some are tame and stay clear of land.

I wish for you to :Bcool:

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#607 Postby gatorcane » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Africa continues to be very active:

3 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#608 Postby Hammy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 pm

:uarrow: Looks like a major change from the last several years. Good chance of the MDR being more active this year?
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#609 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:16 pm

gatorcane wrote:Africa continues to be very active:

This could be really be bad news as the season goes on these waves are only going to get stronger and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few long track hurricanes hit the US
1 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#610 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 pm

:uarrow: MJO is currently in that region.
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#611 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Holy mother of wave trains... :eek:
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#612 Postby Nimbus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:17 am

The wave train looks a little further north than usual this June.
Bret and the current sharp wave approaching South America seem to have made it through the SAL and shear intact.
Hopefully the patterns change before Cape Verde season.
All it takes is a strong TUTT developing at the right time.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#613 Postby RL3AO » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:13 am

Yellow Evan wrote::uarrow: MJO is currently in that region.

The MJO is very very weak right now.

There's enhanced convection over Africa right now, but it doesn't appear to be tied to any equatorial wave mode.

There doesn't really appear to be a strong wave mode signal anywhere globally right now.
http://i.imgur.com/0wVhwFX.png

However, maybe some evidence of a favorable Atlantic MJO in a couple weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/UVkN85i.png
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#614 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:21 am

:uarrow: Is EPAC's turn to have activity in the next 2 weeks.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#615 Postby RL3AO » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:23 am

cycloneye wrote::uarrow: Is EPAC's turn to have activity in the next 2 weeks.

Yes. Epac should be rocking the next couple weeks.
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#616 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:35 am

RL3AO wrote:

I still don't see the type of activity we saw last July over in the East Pacific.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#617 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:41 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
RL3AO wrote:

I still don't see the type of activity we saw last July over in the East Pacific.

That's because it's not July yet and the outbreak is just getting started.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#618 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:15 am

@AndyHazelton
The CFS weeklies show a sharp uptick in precip out of the MDR around week 3, so maybe we just have to wait for the climo to tick up.

https://twitter.com/AndyHazelton/status/878644195564638208

Replying to @AndyHazelton
EPS Weeklies show the same after July 5th, continuing into August

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/878644695940911104

1 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#619 Postby MetroMike » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:29 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
RL3AO wrote:

The EPAC is rife with cooler SST this year. Agree that it will not be as active in that region this year.

0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#620 Postby Hammy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Do the MJO and Kelvin waves have any impact on possibly distorting model outputs for the following months' rainfall? the CFS seems like it's backed off significantly in rainfall (and potential tropical activity) in recent runs.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”