2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#1461 Postby NDG » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Alyono wrote:if we only get a short lived TS out of all the tropical Atlantic activity like the EC is saying, then the 2013 parallel is something worth considering more strongly

This season already is nothing like 2013 :lol:
6 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#1462 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:58 pm

NDG wrote:
Alyono wrote:if we only get a short lived TS out of all the tropical Atlantic activity like the EC is saying, then the 2013 parallel is something worth considering more strongly

You're right as 2013 had nothing above cat 1 while we just had a cat 2 possibly 3 in re analysis with Gert
1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1463 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:19 pm

NDG wrote:

:uarrow: Agreed. Every season is different. We are at 8-2-0, whereas 2013 was 5-0-0 at this time. I'm sure 2017 has had more ACE as well considering this season has actually had hurricanes so far (not in the MDR, but still hurricanes regardless). MDR conditions may not be much more favorable than 2013, but the Caribbean and subtropical Western Atlantic look MUCH more favorable than 2013.
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1464 Postby Alyono » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:05 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
NDG wrote:

:uarrow: Agreed. Every season is different. We are at 8-2-0, whereas 2013 was 5-0-0 at this time. I'm sure 2017 has had more ACE as well considering this season has actually had hurricanes so far (not in the MDR, but still hurricanes regardless). MDR conditions may not be much more favorable than 2013, but the Caribbean and subtropical Western Atlantic look MUCH more favorable than 2013.

I'm talking about low ACE in total with a high number of named storms
2 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1465 Postby Alyono » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:32 pm

there is something that is favoring a high number of very low ACE producing storms. Looks like the only development we will see in the Atlantic now is Harvey, a storm that may not be around much longer
2 likes   

hd44
Category 1
Category 1

#1466 Postby hd44 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Alyono wrote:there is something that is favoring a high number of very low ACE producing storms. Looks like the only development we will see in the Atlantic now is Harvey, a storm that may not be around much longer

Too many tutt lows ... saw this back in 2013.
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1467 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Alyono wrote:there is something that is favoring a high number of very low ACE producing storms. Looks like the only development we will see in the Atlantic now is Harvey, a storm that may not be around much longer

I think we get 2 minimum and possibly 4 in this burst. We will know in a few days.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1468 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Interesting that they develop just east of the islands and then end up dying in the Caribbean.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1469 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:31 pm

hd44 wrote:

Too many tutt lows ... saw this back in 2013.

It's not necessarily an issue. These aren't El Niño TUTTs that take up such a large portion of the basin. These are hybrids. Some spin off pieces or cutoffs but they split slower than your typical La Niña upper lows. Also, having them migrate west was always a sign of an active year. I don't know how or why as I'm a straight D- student when it comes to fluid dynamics. Bottom line? While it's not inconceivable the end season numbers could be similar to 2013, this season is very different overall, and the SSTA pattern isn't remotely similar. It's not anything close.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bobtisdale ... pdate/amp/
0 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1470 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Alyono wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:
NDG wrote:

ACE is really a better determination of an active season rather than numbers overall. Would you agree? 8-)
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1471 Postby Alyono » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:07 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
Alyono wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote: :uarrow: Agreed. Every season is different. We are at 8-2-0, whereas 2013 was 5-0-0 at this time. I'm sure 2017 has had more ACE as well considering this season has actually had hurricanes so far (not in the MDR, but still hurricanes regardless). MDR conditions may not be much more favorable than 2013, but the Caribbean and subtropical Western Atlantic look MUCH more favorable than 2013.

ACE is really a better determination of an active season rather than numbers overall. Would you agree? 8-)

yep. Also, ACE per storm can be of use as well
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1472 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 pm

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1473 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:54 am

It is strange to see two strong waves in the Atlantic, and one weak TS. Yet, all of them are struggling just to maintain the status quo, in mid/late August. There are some rumblings from a few METs after reading Michael Ventrice's thoughts that September could be quiet, as in very quiet. Very strange given the cold neutral, and SST configuration. :idea:
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#1474 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:42 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:It is strange to see two strong waves in the Atlantic, and one weak TS. Yet, all of them are struggling just to maintain the status quo, in mid/late August. There are some rumblings from a few METs after reading Michael Ventrice's thoughts that September could be quiet, as in very quiet. Very strange given the cold neutral, and SST configuration. :idea:

A lot like last year, La Nina like TUTT's and ULL's are parading around. However, if a wave finds an area where the ULL is helping it or is out of the way, then they can ramp up. But it was just bad timing with Harvey and a TUTT that caused it to struggle until the west Caribbean.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1475 Postby Alyono » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:26 pm

what we are seeing is that like 2013, large scale conditions were and are a giant turd burger. However, we have small pockets that become favorable at times. This results in short lived, relatively weak systems. We are seeing a large number of named storms because we have had at times quite favorable local dynamics, as well as quite strong disturbances.

I feel confident that we will approach the 18 named storms that I said in the season poll. However, the number of canes and intense hurricanes? Let's just say I gave the CFS far too much weight
2 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1476 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:34 pm

Alyono wrote:what we are seeing is that like 2013, large scale conditions were and are a giant turd burger. However, we have small pockets that become favorable at times. This results in short lived, relatively weak systems. We are seeing a large number of named storms because we have had at times quite favorable local dynamics, as well as quite strong disturbances.

I feel confident that we will approach the 18 named storms that I said in the season poll. However, the number of canes and intense hurricanes? Let's just say I gave the CFS far too much weight

Going to need a lot more activity in September and October to reach the numbers goal of many organizations. ACE is about to fall far behind as well. 8-)
1 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#1477 Postby WeatherEmperor » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:34 pm

Alyono wrote:what we are seeing is that like 2013, large scale conditions were and are a giant turd burger. However, we have small pockets that become favorable at times. This results in short lived, relatively weak systems. We are seeing a large number of named storms because we have had at times quite favorable local dynamics, as well as quite strong disturbances.

So this begs the same question again from last year: Is the ATL transitioning to the Inactive Cycle again?

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1478 Postby Alyono » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:36 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:

Going to need a lot more activity in September and October to reach the numbers goal of many organizations. ACE is about to fall far behind as well. 8-)

cannot have 3 very well defined MDR disturbances and only manage 1.5 ACE from that if we're going to come anywhere close to an above normal season
2 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1479 Postby Alyono » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:49 pm

WeatherEmperor wrote:

So this begs the same question again from last year: Is the ATL transitioning to the Inactive Cycle again?

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

I'd argue that perhaps the tropical Atlantic itself is transitioning into an area very hostile for development. Aside from 2015, there has not been an intense cane in the tropical Atlantic since I believe 2010.

Here are the number of hurricanes in the tropical Atlantic (as defined as south of 20N east of the Lesser Antilles)

2010: 6
2011: 1
2012: 0
2013: 1
2014: 1
2015: 2
2016: 1

Let's look at the previous 15 years

1995: 6
1996: 4
1997: 1
1998: 3
1999 :4
2000: 4
2001: 0
2002: 0
2003: 2
2004: 4
2005: 2
2006: 1
2007: 2
2008: 2
2009: 2

That's 6 years. Perhaps there has been some short of long term pattern shift that has made the tropical Atlantic a very hostile area for cyclone formation. It would also suggest we should not be watching the tropical Atlantic for long tracked hurricanes. Instead, watch the disturbances there for to see where they move for more in close development

Something happened around 2001. The lack of hurricanes in the tropical Atlantic is not a short term thing. It's been going on for nearly 15 years, except for 2004 and 2010.

Perhaps it's time we change our expectations of what the peak of the season will bring. Long tracked hurricanes are VERY unlikely based upon the last 15 years
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1480 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:59 pm

What is causing all the large scale unfavorable conditions? The Atlantic MDR SSTs are the warmest since 2010 and among the warmest on record. There is no El Niño and we are in a La Niña atmosphere. Shear is near average.
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”