2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#101 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:59 am

The April ECMWF MSLP forecast for ASO is not good at all if it pans out.But Pacific looks primed especially the Central area near Hawaii.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:30 am

The high pressure bias on the Euro pressure forecasts is something to note though from past years
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#103 Postby Ntxw » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:36 am

Hurricaneman wrote:The high pressure bias on the Euro pressure forecasts is something to note though from past years

With the high bias, it' can give you a sense of the direction pressures are going. If you look at 2013 the lesser hot colors gave you a hint. You just have to correct the bias accordingly, the area it is worse at is the higher latitudes, while it's not too bad in the deep tropics.

What it does show is pressures aren't crazy high in the gulf and southwestern Carib
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#104 Postby NDG » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:57 pm

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:31 pm

:uarrow: I understand the map on the right, but what is the one on the left showing again?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby NDG » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:33 pm

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: I understand the map on the right, but what is the one on the left showing again?

Weak trade winds across the MDR and Caribbean.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#107 Postby Blown Away » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 am

Bermuda/Azores high would be weaker than norm based on the map??
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:40 am

:uarrow: It could get pushed further west and there would be a huge weakness in the Eastern Atlantic.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:31 am

MDR cooling again. Euro also really beginning to show higher than normal pressures in that region for the next 10 days. In contrast, GFS continues to show lower than normal pressures.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 am

Interesting tweet from Tropical Tidbits Levi Cowan.

My question is, is this a positive or negative going into the Atlantic Hurricane season.

https://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/status/854344495542001664

0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby AutoPenalti » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 am

TheStormExpert wrote:Interesting tweet from Tropical Tidbits Levi Cowan.

My question is, is this a positive or negative going into the Atlantic Hurricane season.

I guess it varies, it could mean a much more active season. It's hard to tell, and that's IF it stays for the entirety of the season.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:02 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Interesting tweet from Tropical Tidbits Levi Cowan.

May need to watch this, could be big problems if this happens and possibly persists into the peak of the season
1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#113 Postby gatorcane » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Arlene and now this disturbed area with weak surface low moving up north from the NW Caribbean (in April?) seems this season once to get going early. Arlene not so much an indicator given origins of formation but what about this one (though development changes appear low):

0 likes   

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby crownweather » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:07 pm

FWIW, the fantasy range of the GFS model is showing some fun and games in the western Caribbean in about 2 weeks from now. As always, an skeptical about this, but guidance could be telegraphing that development could be possible in the western Caribbean during the first half of May.

gatorcane wrote:Arlene and now this disturbed area with weak surface low moving up north from the NW Caribbean (in April?) seems this season once to get going early. Arlene not so much an indicator given origins of formation but what about this one (though development changes appear low):

0 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 pm

:uarrow: Like I've said in the numbers poll and probably a couple other times in here I believe this season will be a front-loaded season, meaning conditions should be more favorable prior to the peak of the season than when compared to last season as we are coming out of an La Niña although short lived and weak. In fact according to Tropical Tidbits Levi Cowan conditions at the moment are quite favorable and supportive for April standards I believe, thankfully it's not the middle of hurricane season or else we'd be in trouble.

I still believe we could very well see one more storm prior to June 1st. Hopefully it doesn't mean much but I have a bad gut feeling about this season and I feel many will be surprised when all is said and done. Just my two cents and I would never wish harm on anyone, just something about this season gives me bad vibes.
3 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#116 Postby Ntxw » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:53 am

With the way things are going ENSO wise I think 2003 might be a year we should consider. Warm neutral ENSO and +PDO with not a great (but not terrible either) Atlantic
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby weathaguyry » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 am

Ntxw wrote:With the way things are going ENSO wise I think 2003 might be a year we should consider. Warm neutral ENSO and +PDO with not a great (but not terrible either) Atlantic

I think numbers similar to 2003 are possible, but most of the storms were out in the Atlantic, and I think that this year, the bulk of the activity may be closer to home.
1 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Convection over Africa is just crazy for this time of year and we seem to have a more active than normal ITCZ and that may indicate lower pressures than the Euro is showing as it seems to have a high pressure bias in the Atlantic
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#119 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:16 pm

People seem to call for homegrowns every year and never verify. Given the more favorable AMO, a weaker Azores high seems more likely. Regardless, I'm starting to get very bullish on the season, although if the costal nino setup returns, an inactive season is still possible.
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:07 am

Yellow Evan wrote:People seem to call for homegrowns every year and never verify. Given the more favorable AMO, a weaker Azores high seems more likely. Regardless, I'm starting to get very bullish on the season, although if the costal nino setup returns, an inactive season is still possible.

Yeah it's been like this for years now where we think it will be a big homegrown/in-close development year and it underperforms in that category.

I also recall many(including I) expecting the GoM to be quite the hotspot last season but failed to occur despite seeing that tropical low that evolved over the Gulf Coast states back in August that would've been a whole different story if it was located several hundred miles south in the GoM.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”