2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#821 Postby tolakram » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 am

Some of the strongest seasons didn't have any significant activity until late August. I don't want to end any discussions but I do want to remind people that having no activity in July all the way to late August is a very common occurrence and as far as I can tell no indication whatsoever of future activity.

July has high pressure, July has dust, July generally has very little activity.

I think we need to keep our eyes on the overall conditions and off the models, especially the GFS upper air which has a pretty low skill score past 5 days. As long as the EPAC stays active we can expect the Atlantic, at least the western Atlantic, to have shear and generally be unfavorable for development.

So overall has anything changed that would make this season unfavorable during the typical peak from mid August to mid October?
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#822 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:24 am

tolakram wrote:Some of the strongest seasons didn't have any significant activity until late August. I don't want to end any discussions but I do want to remind people that having no activity in July all the way to late August is a very common occurrence and as far as I can tell no indication whatsoever of future activity.

July has high pressure, July has dust, July generally has very little activity.

I think we need to keep our eyes on the overall conditions and off the models, especially the GFS upper air which has a pretty low skill score past 5 days. As long as the EPAC stays active we can expect the Atlantic, at least the western Atlantic, to have shear and generally be unfavorable for development.

So overall has anything changed that would make this season unfavorable during the typical peak from mid August to mid October?

Very well said. The Atlantic is the latest starting of the 3 big ones and contends with SAL nothing unusual so far. I think the culprit can be that when people throw around 2005 as an analog every year it becomes a mild sense of not living up when big hurricanes don't show up in July to fit that mold.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#823 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:35 am

The few short term negatives that I see at the moment is vertical instability being below normal in the deep tropics but I'm not not sure if that's truly a good predictor or just hindsight data. Carib shear of late is now above normal, but more important even when near or below normal its persistence has been somewhat of a deterrence, normal shear is still shear it needs balance of periods with little to no shear. If that continues in August then that would be a time to look as early signs.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#824 Postby chaser1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:36 am

Ntxw wrote:
tolakram wrote:Some of the strongest seasons didn't have any significant activity until late August......

Very well said. The Atlantic is the latest starting of the 3 big ones and contends with SAL nothing unusual so far. I think the culprit can be that when people throw around 2005 as an analog every year it becomes a mild sense of not living up when big hurricanes don't show up in July to fit that mold.

That, or....................... there's a little NinalConde in many of us :wall:
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#825 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:45 am

@philklotzbach
Rainfall in western Sahel has generally been above-average over the past month - often a harbinger of an active Atlantic hurricane season

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/888029617054822400

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#826 Postby psyclone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 am

this is a place where weather fanatics who want storms gather, pretend they don't want storms, fight over existing storms and then (even in the most active seasons) argue about why there will be no more storms. It is a hoot. This is really an expectations game. Atlantic basin watchers should expect nothing in June, July and November as that is frequently what happens. nothing of consequence. Right now we're in what should be a slow time...leading to the predictable season cancel posts. it's the same thing every year. Relax and enjoy the scenery. August 10 is coming.
4 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#827 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:16 am

psyclone wrote:this is a place where weather fanatics who want storms gather, pretend they don't want storms, fight over existing storms and then (even in the most active seasons) argue about why there will be no more storms. It is a hoot. This is really an expectations game. Atlantic basin watchers should expect nothing in June, July and November as that is frequently what happens. nothing of consequence. Right now we're in what should be a slow time...leading to the predictable season cancel posts. it's the same thing every year. Relax and enjoy the scenery. August 10 is coming.

If that's the case then why is June, July, and November considered hurricane season? :lol:
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#828 Postby psyclone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
psyclone wrote:this is a place where weather fanatics who want storms gather, pretend they don't want storms, fight over existing storms and then (even in the most active seasons) argue about why there will be no more storms. It is a hoot. This is really an expectations game. Atlantic basin watchers should expect nothing in June, July and November as that is frequently what happens. nothing of consequence. Right now we're in what should be a slow time...leading to the predictable season cancel posts. it's the same thing every year. Relax and enjoy the scenery. August 10 is coming.

If that's the case then why is June, July, and November considered hurricane season? :lol:

Because storms can happen but they usually don't. June, July and November comprise half of hurricane season time but nowhere near half the storms...and certainly not the quality storms (with rare exceptions of course). this brings up an interesting point...people are lousy at thinking in terms of probabilities but that is an essential skill...perhaps that helps explain the popularity of lotteries. think in term of probabilities rather than possibilities..
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#829 Postby tolakram » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Even with the dust check out the mid level water vapor loop.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/sal/wvmid/movies/wvmid5new.html
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Weather150
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#830 Postby Weather150 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:49 pm

I wouldn't really say those months are "nothing of consequence", even though not a lot of activity happen during those months, you can still get bad storms that bring flooding during those months. Wind is not the only danger.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#831 Postby Hammy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:20 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:If that's the case then why is June, July, and November considered hurricane season? :lol:

November gets a storm on average once every other year, and June with slightly greater frequency--compare that with December and May, and there's your answer.
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#832 Postby RL3AO » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Here's something I found interesting. You can make out a pretty clear ER wave pattern in the far eastern Atlantic over the past month and into the next couple weeks. We had the westerly anomalies in early July (enhanced ER wave), we're currently getting in easterly anomalies (suppressed ER wave), with the forecast of westerlies returning by next week. Tropical waves are fun!

1 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#833 Postby WeatherEmperor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 pm

RL3AO wrote:Here's something I found interesting. You can make out a pretty clear ER wave pattern in the far eastern Atlantic over the past month and into the next couple weeks. We had the westerly anomalies in early July (enhanced ER wave), we're currently getting in easterly anomalies (suppressed ER wave), with the forecast of westerlies returning by next week. Tropical waves are fun!

It also shows a major trade burst at 3.4 in the Pacific. It may not cool 3.4 but it should put a stop to warming while the burst is occurring.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#834 Postby AutoPenalti » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:36 pm

RL3AO wrote:Here's something I found interesting. You can make out a pretty clear ER wave pattern in the far eastern Atlantic over the past month and into the next couple weeks. We had the westerly anomalies in early July (enhanced ER wave), we're currently getting in easterly anomalies (suppressed ER wave), with the forecast of westerlies returning by next week. Tropical waves are fun!

So to understand this correctly, the blue indicates easterly trade bursts and the yellow and orange indicate westerlies?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

hurricanehunter69
Category 1
Category 1

#835 Postby hurricanehunter69 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm convinced that we have a (fertile) MDR this year. While I would not bet on nor discount a well developed hurricane prior to August 10th. I would take bets and lay odds on the E storm ( Emily) before August 1st, and definitely bet on at least the F storm by August 10th.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#836 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 pm

@EricBlake12
Big changes coming to the global circulation if the CFS is right- goes from a quiet Atlantic tropics week 1 to busy in week 3

https://twitter.com/EricBlake12/status/888162972832542720

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#837 Postby Alyono » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:47 pm

may take until the 3rd week for activity to pick up. often a lag between favorable conditions and tcs
0 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#838 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Not good signs for Atlantic development, or an active season I do believe. I could be reading it wrong though.

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/888493729295630336

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/888493168433528833

0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#839 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:19 pm

I don't know about the MEI right now. It's a head scratcher. ENSO signals are very mixed at this point. Just by looking at the subsurface, if we muster any El Nino out by ASO, it would be a weak one.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#840 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:23 pm

JB, the same guy predicting the major hurricane drought would end this season is also not bullish on an active August at least? I know it only takes one!

In my opinion I'm starting to wonder if this season is being overhyped by many in terms of favorable potential and how active it may really be. Yes there are plenty of positives out there but there are several negatives as well which would in favor suggest that the Pacific (especially East/Central) will be the focus point this year again like it has been for the past 3-4 seasons. You also already have one or two people mentioning how things now might not be favorable for the lid to come off in the Atlantic until the third week in August which suggests to me that we might already be pushing the arrival of favorable conditions in the Atlantic just like what kept happening back in 2013 when those favorable conditions never came to be like many were expecting. Just my thoughts.
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”