2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#1681 Postby otowntiger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:01 am

norva wrote:Way to early to get comfortable imo. Lot of month left to go.

Ehh, there is also nothing happening or even forecast to be happening worth worrying about. Until something actually spins up, it's nice to relax while you can.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#1682 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:34 am

I'm thinking that any activity in the Caribbean will wait until late October or early November. That's when the TUTT-inducing subsidence over the basin should begin to move out and upper-level +VVP moves in. However, the interval should be long enough to delay formation until the last week of October, if not later. This delay is crucial. A delay would put formation on or after 23 October. The latest major hurricane to hit the mainland U.S. occurred on 25 October 1921 near Tarpon Springs, Florida. Historically, most of the hurricanes to hit the U.S. in October and November occurred in South Florida in October, with a significant drop-off in activity around Halloween. Only a few rarities like the 1935 Yankee hurricane and Kate (1985), both November hurricanes and Florida hits each, have hit the U.S. on a date later than Halloween. So I think that the mainland U.S. is likely to escape further hurricane hits in 2017, barring something like the latter two cases. However, I do think that one additional major hurricane in the Caribbean is likely, and that it would probably impact Central America or the Antilles. The threat to those areas often continues well into November in active seasons such as 1932, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2008, and last season.
4 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1683 Postby psyclone » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 am

:uarrow: Precisely what I'm thinking. With nothing imminent it's just too late stateside. Nate was likely Florida's October hurricane...it just forgot to come to Florida. Hopefully this pans out..I'm ready to slam the door on this season and get some cooler weather.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1684 Postby toad strangler » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Shell Mound wrote:I'm thinking that any activity in the Caribbean will wait until late October or early November. That's when the TUTT-inducing subsidence over the basin should begin to move out and upper-level +VVP moves in. However, the interval should be long enough to delay formation until the last week of October, if not later. This delay is crucial. A delay would put formation on or after 23 October. The latest major hurricane to hit the mainland U.S. occurred on 25 October 1921 near Tarpon Springs, Florida. Historically, most of the hurricanes to hit the U.S. in October and November occurred in South Florida in October, with a significant drop-off in activity around Halloween. Only a few rarities like the 1935 Yankee hurricane and Kate (1985), both November hurricanes and Florida hits each, have hit the U.S. on a date later than Halloween. So I think that the mainland U.S. is likely to escape further hurricane hits in 2017, barring something like the latter two cases. However, I do think that one additional major hurricane in the Caribbean is likely, and that it would probably impact Central America or the Antilles. The threat to those areas often continues well into November in active seasons such as 1932, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2008, and last season.

Wilma landfall was 10/24
This season has been fairly anomalous and that combined with no real front progged to sweep through leaves me still pretty wary.
3 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1685 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:14 pm

:uarrow: Check the Global Models thread as the latest 12z GFS maybe latching onto development occurring in the NW Caribbean in 8-10 days from that disturbance we've been talking about for days. Aligns perfectly with climatology.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1686 Postby psyclone » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:26 pm

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Check the Global Models thread as the latest 12z GFS maybe latching onto development occurring in the NW Caribbean in 8-10 days from that disturbance we've been talking about for days. Aligns perfectly with climatology.

Make it stop. I know it's too soon to celebrate yet but I'm ready for the balloon drop.
1 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#1687 Postby MetroMike » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:09 pm

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Check the Global Models thread as the latest 12z GFS maybe latching onto development occurring in the NW Caribbean in 8-10 days from that disturbance we've been talking about for days. Aligns perfectly with climatology.

GFS has been latching onto development for quite some time only problem is it won't move up in the timeframe.
If it does its only for 1 run.
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1688 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:38 pm

Strong CCKW expected to pass through the Atlantic in late October. Models are also beginning to hint in the long range. Season may not be over yet.
 https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/919933529588469760

0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1689 Postby tolakram » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Thread bump for 2018 comparisons. Topic is locked, please post comments in 2018 thread.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”