2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#1641 Postby NotSparta » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Kingarabian wrote:About a month ago, I posted in the ENSO thread after Harvey made landfall over Texas that the ENSO state was shaping up similar to 2005.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/910875085946355712

And we know how October was that year :(

We need shear, lots of it
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#1642 Postby blp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Very interesting theory proposed for why the Atlantic has been so favorable.

https://twitter.com/splillo/status/912451170815356928

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ApproximateKnowledge
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1643 Postby ApproximateKnowledge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:42 pm

I remember very cold upper troposphere/lower stratosphere temperatures being mentioned in 2005, too.
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1644 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:56 pm

ApproximateKnowledge wrote:I remember very cold upper troposphere/lower stratosphere temperatures being mentioned in 2005, too.

Wouldn't that mean instability is above average? The instability graphs show a different story.
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1645 Postby Steve » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:01 pm

2017 redo - It appears the pieces are in place for this to be a much above normal season. There will likely be multiple major hits on the United States. And there will be some record breaking storms along the way - probably in August and September. We're probably going to be to the "M" storm by the end of September, and we are likely to end up with P or R when it's all said and done. Look out in the Bahamas, the northern Leewards, Florida and Texas. Mexico is liable to feel some sting as well. Puerto Rico? This season has your name on it too.
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1646 Postby NotSparta » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Steve wrote:2017 redo - It appears the pieces are in place for this to be a much above normal season. There will likely be multiple major hits on the United States. And there will be some record breaking storms along the way - probably in August and September. We're probably going to be to the "M" storm by the end of September, and we are likely to end up with P or R when it's all said and done. Look out in the Bahamas, the northern Leewards, Florida and Texas. Mexico is liable to feel some sting as well. Puerto Rico? This season has your name on it too.

Do you mean next season?
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1647 Postby Steve » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 pm

No. It's a revised prediction for 2017
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1648 Postby NotSparta » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Steve wrote:No. It's a revised prediction for 2017

Ah, I see. Just a misunderstanding
1 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1649 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:10 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
ApproximateKnowledge wrote:I remember very cold upper troposphere/lower stratosphere temperatures being mentioned in 2005, too.

Wouldn't that mean instability is above average? The instability graphs show a different story.

Instability is driven mostly by low-level moisture and mid-level temperatures.
3 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1650 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Without a doubt one of the most impressive stretches of activity in the modern era for the Atlantic. Or any basin for that matter.

12 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1651 Postby EquusStorm » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:35 pm

^ Definitely one of the most impressive in the satellite era, and most such stretches beforehand were probably broken by brief undetected tropical storms. No such break here...
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#1652 Postby wxmann_91 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:54 pm

wxman57 wrote:The March ECMWF seasonal forecasts are in, though I can't post the images. Basically, the EC is forecasting 80% normal ACE for the Atlantic. Below-normal activity in both the Atlantic & East Pac this season, while the West Pac is well above-normal. High pressure and dry air dominate the deep tropics between Africa & the eastern Caribbean, making that region hostile for development.

oops

(EDIT: not to 57, directed @ the ECMWF forecasts)
1 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1653 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:14 am

SuperMarioBros99thx wrote:I don't know where i want to post this, but i want to tell you that this season had a possibility to be the costliest ever Atlantic hurricane season in the history, (showing worst-case scenarios): with Harvey making more than $100B+ (even maybe to $200B+), Irma hitting Miami (and further) costing more than $50B to $200B's, Possibility of Katia and/or Nate hitting New Orleans as MH (in case of Nate, Cat. 2) costing $100B+ dollars, Jose (based on Euro run) makes a Hurricane Phoenix scenario costing $100B+ dollars, Maria making a Sandy re-run (primarily New York/New Jersey) and costing $70B+, and further storms. What should we do now? Ugh... :double:

this post may be half true, but the season is now considered (through Harvey, Irma and Maria damage estimates) the costliest Atlantic hurricane season in recorded history. Three $50 billion hurricanes is unprecedented after a break from no major hurricanes for over a decade, to all these striking the US as cat 4's (PR is a US territory).
2 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

WeatherHoon
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1654 Postby WeatherHoon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:40 pm

I know we're seemingly entering into a La Nina state, but are there any possible signs that would suggest a basin shutdown for October (shear, dry air, shear etc)? The thoughts and attitudes shared around the weather blogs and forums seem to call for a hyperactive October, just curious as to what could negate that.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1655 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:35 am

Last time we had a cool spell in the east and cold fronts making it pretty far south it was followed up by the big burst in activity. The pattern was unusually cool in the east/midwest, then upper lows everywhere, and then all the activity. I'm not sure I can trust any indicator at this point.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1656 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:58 am

WeatherHoon wrote:I know we're seemingly entering into a La Nina state, but are there any possible signs that would suggest a basin shutdown for October (shear, dry air, shear etc)? The thoughts and attitudes shared around the weather blogs and forums seem to call for a hyperactive October, just curious as to what could negate that.

All of the indicators (Caribbean SSTs, shear and MJO) would generally point to an active October but the Atlantic doesn't always follow the indicators.
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1657 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 am

The Caribbean now has the warmest waters in the Atlantic Basin, this is the area to watch over the next couple of weeks, IMO.
It will really surprise me if we do not see a major hurricane develop in this area during the month of October.

TCHP is through the roof in the central and western Caribbean.

1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1658 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:34 am

Not to pick on JB, but many pros really busted on their early season forecast, except for his forecast for the western GOM he busted big time on the rest of his forecast.
2017 has been the contrary to what happened during 2013 that many were forecasting a very busy season. I think from now on early season forecasts have to be taken as a percentage of a very low chance of coming to fruition, with percentage going up as the season starts and forecasters get a better grip on actual conditions across the basin and pacific ocean, etc. I think NOAA has the best idea of waiting to get closer to June 1st for them to release their forecast, so many things can change between March and June.
If I was a pro-met I would wait until July 1st to come out with the forecast :lol:

2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1659 Postby LarryWx » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:39 am

NDG wrote:Not to pick on JB, but many pros really busted on their early season forecast, except for his forecast for the western GOM he busted big time on the rest of his forecast.
2017 has been the contrary to what happened during 2013 that many were forecasting a very busy season. I think from now on early season forecasts have to be taken as a percentage of a very low chance of coming to fruition, with percentage going up as the season starts and forecasters get a better grip on actual conditions across the basin and pacific ocean, etc. I think NOAA has the best idea of waiting to get closer to June 1st for them to release their forecast, so many things can change between March and June.
If I was a pro-met I would wait until July 1st to come out with the forecast :lol:

Despite this, he's been spinning his performance on Twitter by saying he did well other than ACE. So, he's downplaying his ACE fail, which he admits, by saying he was right in his call for the concentration of activity in the W basin.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1660 Postby LarryWx » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:01 am

NDG wrote:The Caribbean now has the warmest waters in the Atlantic Basin, this is the area to watch over the next couple of weeks, IMO.
It will really surprise me if we do not see a major hurricane develop in this area during the month of October.

TCHP is through the roof in the central and western Caribbean.

This very warm W. Caribbean along with ENSO related climo says that FL must stay on extra alert for any H that might hit them in Oct due to this: there have been 10 major H hits on FL in Oct since 1865 (about one every 15 years on average) and those 10 seasons had these Nino 3.4 anomalies (credit to Eric Webb for pre-1950 data):

SON trimonthly average : -0.03, -0.3, -0.32, -0.39, -0.40, -0.50, -0.66, -0.80, -1.00. and -1.10

So, not one +SON and no real strongly -SON. These SON's pretty much surround where we are projected to go for the SON average per the Sept dynamic model forecast plume average, which is -0.50. Most of the better models like Euro, UKMET, JMA, CFSv2, Australian, Korean, etc., are within the -0.30 to -0.90 range:

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/c ... -sst_table

Edit: The 10 seasons with major H hits on FL in Oct since 1865, ALL of which originated in the W Caribbean:
1873, 1894, 1906, 1909, 1921, 1926, 1950, 1964, 1995, and 2005
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”