2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#1421 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm

The problem isn't being able to reach average seasonal levels, it's being able to reach above-hyperactive seasonal levels as many are forecasting (especially NOAA).
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1422 Postby RL3AO » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:22 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:The problem isn't being able to reach average seasonal levels, it's being able to reach above-hyperactive seasonal levels as many are forecasting (especially NOAA).

Who are the "many" predicting a hyperactive season?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1423 Postby tolakram » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 pm

They are not forecasting hyperactive, just above normal.

I think one of the big mistakes with understanding hurricane season, especially the Atlantic, is the fact that generally the Atlantic is hostile for development. Right now we have the African wave gun (think teeshirt gun) spitting out disturbances and these are spreading out into the Atlantic. If/when one finds a good spot it will develop. The more waves the better the chance one will develop. 2005 was a record year because waves were plentiful AND conditions were much better than average further west. This year conditions seem average but disturbances above average which should result in an above average season.

But in the end it's all luck, chance, being in the right place at the right time. Andrew is the textbook example of that.

So here we go into the peak of the season with 3 and pretty soon 4 significant disturbances travelling through the Atlantic. No clue if these will actually result in anything but it certainly increases the odds.

I'm posting this now so I can look back once the season is over knowing what happened. I have to think 91, 92, soon to be 93, or what may be 94 next week is going to develop, and one will probably be a major. Where it goes, who knows, but the further west a wave gets the higher the risk for the US.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1424 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:44 pm

1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1425 Postby Steve » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Right Mark. That's what I see too. NOAA has a big spread of 14-19, 5-9 and 2-5. I guess if they hit the top of the range, 19-9-5 that's probably hyper. 2010 was the last year that saw a ton of storms. And then 2005 and 1933 are the benchmarks. If average is 12-6-3 and we end up like 15-5-2, that's not hyper. I'm not even sure if there is an actual definition or where I'd come in at. 18NS maybe or more than 11 hurricanes?
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1426 Postby RL3AO » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Steve wrote: I'm not even sure if there is an actual definition or where I'd come in at. 18NS maybe or more than 11 hurricanes?

Usually defined as at least 175% of average ACE.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1427 Postby Steve » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:50 pm

RL3AO wrote:
Steve wrote: I'm not even sure if there is an actual definition or where I'd come in at. 18NS maybe or more than 11 hurricanes?

Gotcha. I guessed 106. I don't think that many entities predict ACE, do they? Weatherbell does, and know Bastardi was like 90-115. Average I remember was somewhere around 100ish. I don't think in the context of ACE that many people are calling for hyperactive? I only remember 2 of the 100 S2K guesses being at 200. Maybe there were a couple in the high 100s? Wiki counts ACE and numbers of storms the way they present Hyperactive. I don't know. But I don't see 175 ACE this year at all. I guess it's possible with some long trackers (Ivan '04 I think was near 65-70), but I wouldn't bet a dollar that we'd hit that bar this year. I haven't seen anyone else saying that, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough?
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1428 Postby RL3AO » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Steve wrote:
RL3AO wrote:

Gotcha. I guessed 106. I don't think that many entities predict ACE, do they? Weatherbell does, and know Bastardi was like 90-115. Average I remember was somewhere around 100ish. I don't think in the context of ACE that many people are calling for hyperactive? I only remember 2 of the 100 S2K guesses being at 200. Maybe there were a couple in the high 100s? Wiki counts ACE and numbers of storms the way they present Hyperactive. I don't know. But I don't see 175 ACE this year at all. I guess it's possible with some long trackers (Ivan '04 I think was near 65-70), but I wouldn't bet a dollar that we'd hit that bar this year. I haven't seen anyone else saying that, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough?

Most forecasts I've seen have been in the 115 to 135 range. Average is about 95 to 105 depending on the time-period you use.
1 likes   

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1429 Postby Andrew92 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:25 pm

I totally agree with those that say a major is coming down the pipe, likely with at least 91L, 92L, and the next two waves. The fact of the matter is it is that time of year and the western half of the Atlantic looks mighty favorable. You add in a strong ridge steering storms in the direction of those favorable conditions, and it really feels like a matter of when, not if.

I don't trust the models per se, but I think 91L will likely form first into Harvey, and careen across the Caribbean. I just really hope the Gulf of Honduras doesn't do its "magic" and allow it to ramp up quickly like many have done there, but this is certainly a good candidate for that first major. I smell a track overall similar to Franklin, but quite possibly stronger unfortunately.

92L is the best immediate bet to head to the United States. However, it may pass through the unfavorable TUTT on its way, and there is the wrinkle of whether or not it passes over especially Hispaniola, but also Cuba. I tend to think this one will track further north and eventually become Irma, but I am not confident in going a lot further especially with intensity due to the variables in play. The Bahamas and Florida would do well to pay attention though, to be sure. Beyond there, I probably lean towards the Gulf.

Beyond that, too early to tell, and models are all over the place. However, a powerful hurricane or two continue to be consistently on a lot of recent and/or current plots, so it feels like it's coming. Hopefully I am wrong about a lot if not all of what I am saying, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. But for now, it's still just a time to wait, watch, and be ready just in case.

-Andrew92
2 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1430 Postby Steve » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks RL3AO. To bring it current, it looks like Gert added some ACE, and we're around 14-15. So to be average, we'd have about 85% of the ACE left to go. What's interesting about the moment is we have 91L, 92L, the wave after that (not sure if it's been classified yet) and the next one yet to come off Africa. WPAC has recently been sort of shut down because most of the energy is rolling our way. On the one hand, none of these 4 systems might form into anything or even if they did could recurve. On the other hand if there was ever a time I didn't want to see a burst of storms it's the second half of August. You'd have to think in the near term with these 4 we'll get at least something to develop. So maybe max 25 ACE to come out of the 4 areas? That would still leave at least half more to go for future systems.
Last edited by Steve on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1431 Postby Alyono » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:02 pm

and that's why a Kelvin wave is not going to aid in genesis. That is at least as bad as 2013 for the tropical Atlantic
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1432 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:06 pm

:uarrow: Could this year end up going without a major if Gert doesn't make it?
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1433 Postby Steve » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Yeah but will it matter (was response to Alyono)? MJO looks like it will go into 1 slightly amplified. That's probably enough of a signal to say that it's not going to be dead right now due to the mid level dry air whereas in some other circumstances, you might not have any development at all. Maybe in this instance it will have helped to hold things back a bit or kept them from getting completely out of hand?
Last edited by Steve on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#1434 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Hammy wrote::uarrow: Could this year end up going without a major if Gert doesn't make it?

That's highly unlikely. The western ATL is far too favorable for that.
2 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1435 Postby Alyono » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Hammy wrote::uarrow: Could this year end up going without a major if Gert doesn't make it?

no, the west Caribbean could easily spawn a cat 5 given how favorable it is. It's only the tropical Atlantic itself that is as bad, if not worse than, 2013
2 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1436 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Alyono wrote:

no, the west Caribbean could easily spawn a cat 5 given how favorable it is. It's only the tropical Atlantic itself that is as bad, if not worse than, 2013

Any idea what's causing this level of dry air?
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1437 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Hammy wrote:
Alyono wrote:

Any idea what's causing this level of dry air?

I second this. I heard several people the last few months talk about how the SST configuration was going to rid the Atlantic of dry air problems, and instead it is as dry or drier than 2013. What could be the cause of that?
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1438 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Here's something people like Levi Cowan was worrying about allowing the Subtropical Atlantic to potentially rob the Tropical Atlantic of it's energy. The SST configuration now screams unfavorable for an active rest of the season with warm tropics, warm mid-latitude, and warm far North Atlantic. I've had a feeling this was going to happen for weeks now.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1439 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 pm

RL3AO wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:The problem isn't being able to reach average seasonal levels, it's being able to reach above-hyperactive seasonal levels as many are forecasting (especially NOAA).

I guess I made a typo. :oops:

But surely NOAA's prediction of an potential hyperactive season will likely bust with the latest SST configuration. Luckily for them they have a wide range of outcomes on the table with numbers as low as a near average season.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1440 Postby Steve » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
RL3AO wrote:

I guess I made a typo. :oops:

But surely NOAA's prediction of an potential hyperactive season will likely bust with the latest SST configuration. Luckily for them they have a wide range of outcomes on the table with numbers as low as a near average season.

So what do you think happens?
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”