2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#561 Postby gatorcane » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Very active wave train at the moment. Count them - five waves from the Eastern MDR east across Africa. Look how far north the wave is on the far eastern side of Africa and it is only June:

1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#562 Postby Hammy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:42 pm

gatorcane wrote:Very active wave train at the moment. Count them - five waves from the Eastern MDR east across Africa. Look how far north the wave is on the far eastern side of Africa and it is only June:

It's been quite some time since I've seen a wave train like this, even in August or September.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#563 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm worried about possible hurricane activity in July if things look like this now
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#564 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Wasn't the June update for the Euro MSLP for ASO supposed to come out today?
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#565 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:55 pm

:uarrow: Yellow and Oranges almost dominate the Atlantic basin for ASO.I dont see blue color almost anywhere in the world. Something may not be right about that?

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#566 Postby Bocadude85 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 pm

cycloneye wrote::uarrow: Yellow and Oranges almost dominate the Atlantic basin for ASO.I dont see blue color almost anywhere in the world. Something may not be right about that?

Not sure what to make of this,I will note that the pressures are even higher in the Epac of the coast of Mexico then the May update. Same goes for the the Atlantic also.
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#567 Postby Hammy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:11 pm

cycloneye wrote::uarrow: Yellow and Oranges almost dominate the Atlantic basin for ASO.I dont see blue color almost anywhere in the world. Something may not be right about that?

So we're looking at another dead MDR and underperforming season? Could this be a sign of a 2013-like setup?
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

KAlexPR
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#568 Postby KAlexPR » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Hammy wrote:

So we're looking at another dead MDR and underperforming season? Could this be a sign of a 2013-like setup?

The ECMWF predicts above normal pressures for the MDR almost every year. I wouldn't put too much weight on it, imo.
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#569 Postby weathaguyry » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Hammy wrote:

Since the Euro usually has a high bias, and the current condition do not support a dead Atlantic, I wouldn't be too sure. There were numerous other factors that caused 2013 to be dead, such as the evident flip to a negative AMO look around this time, with cold water off the Iberian Peninsula and spotty cold anomalies in the MDR, and more warm water in the subtropics.

2 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#570 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:26 pm

What is the ECMWF long range seeing?
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#571 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:39 pm

For September,October,November.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#572 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:06 pm

Wow! What a quick reversal of the Euro's May ASO MSLP map. Either something is wrong with the Euro or the Atlantic and other northern hemisphere basins are about to underperform BIG TIME.

BTW, this is the exact same time of year that the Euro started trending unfavorable in terms of MSLP in at least the Atlantic back in 2013.
Last edited by TheStormExpert on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#573 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:08 pm

weathaguyry wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Since the Euro usually has a high bias, and the current condition do not support a dead Atlantic, I wouldn't be too sure. There were numerous other factors that caused 2013 to be dead, such as the evident flip to a negative AMO look around this time, with cold water off the Iberian Peninsula and spotty cold anomalies in the MDR, and more warm water in the subtropics.

Take note that the cooler SST's in the mid-latitudes are starting to fill in with warmer SST's. If that fully happens then a 2013 repeat is looking like an almost guaranteed possibility.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#574 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:I'm worried about possible hurricane activity in July if things look like this now

If the latest Euro pressure outlook is anything to go by things MAY start becoming less favorable as we head into July.
0 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#575 Postby Dylan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:20 pm

:uarrow:

Despite the MLSP forecast for the ASO period from the June ECMWF model run, it still shows normal precipitation totals for the tropical Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico. Additionally, the Pacific is warm ENSO at best, and has a Madoki-type of look if anything. Meanwhile, the model is forecasting above normal SSTA's for the MDR into the Caribbean and Gulf. This set up isn't a hinderance to the Atlantic Basin at all, and reminds me a lot of 2004.
0 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#576 Postby Bocadude85 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
weathaguyry wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Take note that the cooler SST's in the mid-latitudes are starting to fill in with warmer SST's. If that fully happens then a 2013 repeat is looking like an almost guaranteed possibility.

It's a little extreme to say that a 2013 repeat is almost a guaranteed possibility. I think 2013 is a lot like 2005, might happen once or twice in a lifetime. We can't take every single forecast as face value. There are other models that are calling for a fairly active season. If you take a average of all the forecasts then we come up with a average to slightly above average season.
1 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#577 Postby USTropics » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 pm

If I recall, the JAS forecast for ECMWF MSLP prob was outperformed by the CFS JAS forecast last year. Below is the JAS forecast from ECMWF for last year:

1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#578 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm

All I have to say is when you look at the tropics globally they are really underperforming so far this year, this was also the case back in 2013.

At this point it's up to the Atlantic and East Pacific to make up for that deficit which I am now starting to have my doubts will happen after seeing the latest Euro MSLP outlook for ASO. Clearly there is likely something going on that we probably do not know about which is causing the tropics to struggle this year.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#579 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:09 pm

All I have to say is when you look at the tropics globally they are really underperforming so far this year, this was also the case back in 2013.

At this point it's up to the Atlantic and East Pacific to make up for that deficit which I am now starting to have my doubts will happen after seeing the latest Euro MSLP outlook for ASO. Clearly there is likely something going on that we probably do not know about which is causing the tropics to struggle this year.

April 15th Update :darrow:

May 15th Update :darrow:

June 15th Update :darrow:

0 likes   

Dougiefresh
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#580 Postby Dougiefresh » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 pm

If this year is another 2013 the laypeople really arn't going to put much confidence into forecasters. 2013 was a huge bust but what can you do? most of the signs are there for an active hurricane season so you have to call it how you see it.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”