2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#121 Postby NDG » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:39 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:People seem to call for homegrowns every year and never verify. Given the more favorable AMO, a weaker Azores high seems more likely. Regardless, I'm starting to get very bullish on the season, although if the costal nino setup returns, an inactive season is still possible.

Yeah it's been like this for years now where we think it will be a big homegrown/in-close development year and it underperforms in that category.

I also recall many(including I) expecting the GoM to be quite the hotspot last season but failed to occur despite seeing that tropical low that evolved over the Gulf Coast states back in August that would've been a whole different story if it was located several hundred miles south in the GoM.

Yeap, windshear has not been favorable during most of the season the last few years across the GOM.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 am

NDG wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:People seem to call for homegrowns every year and never verify. Given the more favorable AMO, a weaker Azores high seems more likely. Regardless, I'm starting to get very bullish on the season, although if the costal nino setup returns, an inactive season is still possible.

Yeah it's been like this for years now where we think it will be a big homegrown/in-close development year and it underperforms in that category.

I also recall many(including I) expecting the GoM to be quite the hotspot last season but failed to occur despite seeing that tropical low that evolved over the Gulf Coast states back in August that would've been a whole different story if it was located several hundred miles south in the GoM.

Yeap, windshear has not been favorable during most of the season the last few years across the GOM.

Do you see that changing this season?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby NDG » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:48 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
NDG wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Yeah it's been like this for years now where we think it will be a big homegrown/in-close development year and it underperforms in that category.

Do you see that changing this season?

Too early to tell, will depend where a TUTT or like feature finds a home across the western Atlantic Basin.
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby weathaguyry » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:04 am

0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#125 Postby cycloneye » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:49 am

BREAKING NEWS from Eric Blake.Maybe the Atlantic season is more active than anticipated.

https://twitter.com/EricBlake12/status/856183566077767681

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#126 Postby tolakram » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:18 pm

More evidence forecasts are very difficult until we get into May. I wonder if it will continue to swing to more favorable or if this is a false alarm.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:26 pm

I'm not honestly too surprised, considering what we had were priliminary scans from early-April. The closer we get into May, the more we'll see what appears to be more accurate findings with favorable shear for this season. It's interesting to say the least.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Well if the latest ENSO values of 0.5 or higher continue over the next several weeks we very well may start to see conditions gradually become unfavorable across the Atlantic.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:15 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Well if the latest ENSO values of 0.5 or higher continue over the next several weeks we very well may start to see conditions gradually become unfavorable across the Atlantic.

That 0.5C reading was for 3.4 and we're going to need a couple of months of consistent readings in order for the overall affects to kick in. I would just monitor Nino 1+2 region for now. Generally it has the most influence on the ATL hurricane season.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby weathaguyry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:26 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Well if the latest ENSO values of 0.5 or higher continue over the next several weeks we very well may start to see conditions gradually become unfavorable across the Atlantic.

That 0.5C reading was for 3.4 and we're going to need a couple of months of consistent readings in order for the overall affects to kick in. I would just monitor Nino 1+2 region for now. Generally it has the most influence on the ATL hurricane season.

Well the Nino 1+2 region may become cold soon, because that cold pool is growing and shifting east, so I think Nino 1+2 will get cold, and 3.4 may become warm (modoki setup)
1 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Sorry wasn't paying attention to which region was warming. But yeah chances of a Modoki El Niño are gradually increasing.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#132 Postby SFLcane » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:53 pm

0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#133 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:45 pm

If it's an El Niño madoki we could have a season like these years possibly

2002 where not much happened until September but then we got 2 hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico and hurricane Lili making landfall in eastern Louisiana

1979 where we had David go into Hispaniola as a cat 5 hurricane and take a very similar path to Matthew last year near Florida and also ha Frederic which made landfall in Alabama as a cat 4 hurricane

1969 where we had one of the strongest US landfalls on record with Camille with 175mph winds gusting over 200 and there was another hurricane Greta that made landfall in Maine

2004 the season got off to a slow start but once the last few days of July came the games began first was Hurricane Alex giving hurricane conditions to North Carolina and then came dangerous cat 4 hurricane Charley as it made landfall in port charlotte and exited the state as a hurricane making landfall as a hurricane in South Carolina. Next was slow moving hurricane Frances making landfall in Stuart Florida as a cat 2 hurricane. Next was hurricane Ivan which became a cat 5 3 separate times and mad landfall as an upper end cat 3 near Pensacola. Last but certainly not least was Jeanne which got destroyed by Hispaniola but as it moved away it gained organization and did a loop and at the end of the loop became a hurricane again and heading straight west while intensifying at a good clip making landfall as a cat 3 hurricane in Stuart Florida
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#134 Postby gatorcane » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:19 am

I can't help but notice that the SST anomaly configuration looks very similar to 2005 across the Atlantic and to a lesser extent the EPAC (though the EPAC is noticeably warmer than 2005). On Atlantic side we see warmer than normal anomalies across the MDR with a cooler than normal anomalies swath across the SW/Western subtropical Atlantic. Not saying we are heading for another hyperactive 2005 or if this means anything for this year's activity but something I noticed:

1 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#135 Postby WeatherEmperor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am

gatorcane wrote:I can't help but notice that the SST anomaly configuration looks very similar to 2005 across the Atlantic and to a lesser extent the EPAC (though the EPAC is noticeably warmer than 2005). On Atlantic side we see warmer than normal anomalies across the MDR with a cooler than normal anomalies swath across the SW/Western subtropical Atlantic. Not saying we are heading for another hyperactive 2005 or if this means anything for this year's activity but something I noticed:

https://gif[]

Interesting sst comparison. If u look at the waters close to the SE coast there is a cool patch. In 2005 I remember many talking about a weaker bermuda high off the SE coast as a result of that cool sst patch. Many storms recurved away from the US but we all know Katrina and Rita formed close and headed west.

I see a similar cool sst patch off the SE coast this year so does that mean a weaker bermuda high again? Does anybody have maps for what the high looks like right now? Is the NAO positive or negative right now?

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
1 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:33 pm

gatorcane wrote:I can't help but notice that the SST anomaly configuration looks very similar to 2005 across the Atlantic and to a lesser extent the EPAC (though the EPAC is noticeably warmer than 2005). On Atlantic side we see warmer than normal anomalies across the MDR with a cooler than normal anomalies swath across the SW/Western subtropical Atlantic. Not saying we are heading for another hyperactive 2005 or if this means anything for this year's activity but something I noticed:

I was just about to post the same thing. Very eerie indeed. Hopefully nothing more than differences in data making them seem the same. :eek:
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#137 Postby SFLcane » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 pm

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:25 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:

I was just about to post the same thing. Very eerie indeed. Hopefully nothing more than differences in data making them seem the same. :eek:

On top of the SST pattern looking eerily similar to 2005 we also are reusing the list of names used in the 2005 season. :eek:
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:25 pm

I hope everyone is on their toes because some real serious analogs are entering stage right like 2005 so I hope nothing like that happens as the GOM would have serious trouble and possibly Florida
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#140 Postby Ntxw » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Except 2005 was a cold neutral almost weak Nina, in a very favorable decadal period of Atlantic activity. Lets not overplay the analog too much as it is brought up every season. Simply too many mixed signal to have confidence. Nothing really stands out this early in the game yet IMO.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”