2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2017 indicators: SST's / MSLP / SAL / Steering / Instability

#1581 Postby NDG » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:37 am

You know how every year one satellite picture is the recap of a hurricane season, well pretty soon we will have 3 hurricanes at the same time in the Atlantic Basin that will look very similar to this satellite picture, a very busy hurricane season 2017 is turning out to be.
From let to right: Katia, Irma and Jose.

5 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1582 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Jose and Katia will be the Atlantic's 5th and 6th consecutive hurricane, and possibly the 3rd and 4th consecutive major.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1583 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

I think I'm comfortable now saying that this metric is useless.

6 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1584 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm

tolakram wrote:I think I'm comfortable now saying that this metric is useless.

I don't know. Looks rather stable out there. Barely a cloud in the Caribbean.

4 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1585 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:34 pm

With Katia, the Atlantic has caught up with the EPac. MJO phase 2 does wonders don't it.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1586 Postby Steve » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Kingarabian wrote:With Katia, the Atlantic has caught up with the EPac. MJO phase 2 does wonders don't it.

For the spark, yeah. That was what brought on Harvey. But I think we're in the circle and closest to 4 at the moment still supposed to head into 1 and 8 halfway between the circle and border. Both are also favorable in September for the WATL.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1587 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:47 pm

tolakram wrote:
tolakram wrote:Trouble is we are getting disturbances in the western basin and they can't find good conditions.

But, it's August 19th, just a few days from when we thought we'd have a few storms. Unexpected, yes, season cancelling ... probably not, but each time this happens the odds of even a normal season go down IMO.

It's August 24th with Harvey now churning in the gulf and conditions looking very favorable. Crazy how quick things can change.

Harvey hit just east of Corpus Christi as a cat 4 with horrible flooding in Houston, Irma has been a cat 5 for over a day and appears headed for Florida and then the Carolinas, and Katia and Jose are now hurricanes.

It's September 6th.

3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1588 Postby Hammy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:10 pm

My 2015-minus-El-NIno prediction is becoming almost haunting as Irma's future track looks similar to what many earlier models had for Erika before it started running into shear...
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#1589 Postby MetroMike » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Hammy wrote:My 2015-minus-El-NIno prediction is becoming almost haunting as Irma's future track looks similar to what many earlier models had for Erika before it started running into shear...

Explain this better I'm confused on what you wrote.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#1590 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:01 pm

RL3AO wrote:

[image removed]

[image removed]

Yep, there's actually plenty of subsidence all across the tropical NAtl; it's just not bothering the established systems in low shear environments. Irma and Jose both came from the east where they were able to develop in a better upward motion environment (which I briefly touched on earlier, and Katia's development is partially because of convergence along a decaying boundary.

1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1591 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08 pm

1900hurricane wrote:
RL3AO wrote:

[image removed]

[image removed]

Yep, there's actually plenty of subsidence all across the tropical NAtl; it's just not bothering the established systems in low shear environments. Irma and Jose both came from the east where they were able to develop in a better upward motion environment (which I briefly touched on earlier, and Katia's development is partially because of convergence along a decaying boundary.

Of course with three hurricanes in the basin, what goes up must come down somewhere.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1592 Postby Hammy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:01 pm

MetroMike wrote:
Hammy wrote:My 2015-minus-El-NIno prediction is becoming almost haunting as Irma's future track looks similar to what many earlier models had for Erika before it started running into shear...

Explain this better I'm confused on what you wrote.

Sometime earlier in the year I'd said this year's activity could look like a 2015 "what if" scenario had El Nino not been present that year. Prior to Erika in 2015 running into the massive amount of shear it had, many of the models had shown it taking a somewhat similar track (with similar intensity) to what Irma is doing in real time, which follows eerily to what my thinking earlier had been.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SuperMarioBros99thx
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1593 Postby SuperMarioBros99thx » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:15 am

I don't know where i want to post this, but i want to tell you that this season had a possibility to be the costliest ever Atlantic hurricane season in the history, (showing worst-case scenarios): with Harvey making more than $100B+ (even maybe to $200B+), Irma hitting Miami (and further) costing more than $50B to $200B's, Possibility of Katia and/or Nate hitting New Orleans as MH (in case of Nate, Cat. 2) costing $100B+ dollars, Jose (based on Euro run) makes a Hurricane Phoenix scenario costing $100B+ dollars, Maria making a Sandy re-run (primarily New York/New Jersey) and costing $70B+, and further storms. What should we do now? Ugh... :double:
1 likes   
My opinions are mine and SHOULD not be treated as an official source of information. PLEASE see National Hurricane Center, or any other meteorological agencies, for that matter. By the way, I was born and came from Indonesia, which is rarely hit by tropical cyclones, but regardless, I have LOTS of interest in meteorology.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1594 Postby Ntxw » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:02 am

Another view of the Atlantic this morning. What a show of 3 simultaneous hurricanes...dangerous show. WPAC has this look every now and then, EPAC most recently had this in 2015, now the Atlantic in 2017.

2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1595 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:11 pm

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/905899594357383171

Eric Holthaus ✔ @EricHolthaus
Irma (left, Cat 5) and Jose (right, just upgraded to Cat 3)
Simultaneous major hurricanes for the first time in seven years.
5:04 PM - Sep 7, 2017

4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1596 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:15 pm

3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1597 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:45 pm

https://twitter.com/Climatologist49/status/905994753417687041

Brian Brettschneider @Climatologist49
The Atlantic Basin generated more ACE today (9/7/17) than any other day on record (1900-present). @philklotzbach @EricBlake12
11:22 PM - Sep 7, 2017
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1598 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 pm

I can't get enough pictures. If only Katia was just a little better organized for a nice 3 eyed photo.

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1599 Postby RL3AO » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:54 am

The Atlantic looks like 2004/2005 right now. Everything is rapidly intensifying in different parts of the basin. Let's hope it's just an active 3 weeks and not the start of an active 3 months.
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1600 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 am

Looking like my 16/8/4 and an ACE total of 145 units is in jeopardy if latest levels of activity continue or even just slow down some. If I had to guess I'd go with 20/10/6 with an ACE guesstimate of 200 units.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”