Proposed cut to NOAA of 17%

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Proposed cut to NOAA of 17%

#1 Postby Steve » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:02 pm

I understand that the site wants to be anti-political, but a proposed 17% cut to NOAA kinda sucks. For the record, a former Bush Administration official (which Administration almost seems sane by today's standards) calls it ill timed. He's right. Do we need science? And should the satellite program take the biggest hit?

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... short_home
Last edited by vbhoutex on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Proposed cut to NOAA of 17%

#2 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 pm

I would agree not to cut budget vital, technological advances and research within NOAA. The money we save (billions) of a good forecast in just one hurricane or one disastrous event more than covers the expenditure. But lets not dig too deep into this as it is not on topic of this thread.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:53 pm

I took out of the 2017 indicators thread the posts about the NOAA cuts to have a thread for that topic.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby cycloneye » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:19 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:41 pm

In the interest of multiple points of opinion being available, I am adding the following link to a Washington Post article concerning the proposed budget cuts.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/03/03/white-house-proposes-steep-budget-cut-to-leading-climate-science-agency/?pushid=breaking-news_1488587527&tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.dfe2e2a5df28 Please read this and other articles provided in this thread to form any opinions you may have.
After doing that please contact your representatives and senators in Congress and let them know how you feel in a respectful manner.
Past that this thread is locked to further discussion. We are providing the information to make sure all in the weather community know what is going on.
1 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 am

Apparently the weather community has been heard.This is great news about not cutting to NWS and satelites.
 https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/842386641884991488

2 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby gatorcane » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:15 pm

great news, I would put a chunk of those investments in improving the GFS/NCEP-based models.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8 Postby RL3AO » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:36 pm

gatorcane wrote:great news, I would put a chunk of those investments in improving the GFS/NCEP-based models.

Then the proposed cuts to the satellite programs are not the way to do that since satellites now represent >95% of all data that enters weather models.
0 likes   

TexasBreeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9 Postby TexasBreeze » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Don't want to cut funding for satellites that help see storms like the nor-easter that affected the northeast US this week...
The bust for NYC made some people upset!
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby weathaguyry » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 pm

TexasBreeze wrote:Don't want to cut funding for satellites that help see storms like the nor-easter that affected the northeast US this week...
The bust for NYC made some people upset!

True, that is something that is for sure crucial, and cannot be cut. (And I live on Long Island, I got about 6 inches of snow and sleet, and It froze over so badly to the point where anyone yesterday morning was physically unable to get there car out if they parked on the street, on my way to the delayed opening of school, which didn't help because it was cloudy and 22 at 10AM, I slipped and fell onto a car, the snow now is basically 6 inches of ice, which melted into corn snow in the 36 degrees and sun today, which will surely freeze back to a layer of ice in 24 degrees tonight, overall ALL of the plow drivers agree 20 inches of regular snow would have been 10x as easy to plow as this stuff)
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Darvince
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby Darvince » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:13 am

I was extremely confused by the political topic on here, seeing as one of the most basic rules of this forum is to not post political things, but apparently even storm2k can't avoid the massive increase in political postings that's been occurring lately... :lol: :?:

Does the admin have direct control of what parts of NOAA are funded, or does NOAA control that?
0 likes   
:craz:

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#12 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:06 am

Darvince wrote:I was extremely confused by the political topic on here, seeing as one of the most basic rules of this forum is to not post political things, but apparently even storm2k can't avoid the massive increase in political postings that's been occurring lately... :lol: :?:

Does the admin have direct control of what parts of NOAA are funded, or does NOAA control that?

This is not nor was it intended a political post. It was simply to make the community aware of what was being proposed budget wise that could affect NOAA/NWS/NHC and other weather oriented divisions.
On that note I had a good discussion with Jamie Rhome from NHC the other day and funding is good and intact for 2017. The 2018 budget is where we will have to watch and voice our support for proper/increased funding for all things weather related to our congressional representatives and senators.
1 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Steve » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Darvince wrote:I was extremely confused by the political topic on here, seeing as one of the most basic rules of this forum is to not post political things, but apparently even storm2k can't avoid the massive increase in political postings that's been occurring lately... :lol: :?:

You live in Phoenix, Arizona. Occasionally y'all get some sheared tops of EPAC or Gulf of California systems - essentially diminishing systems landfalling to your south or southwest. Many of us live in areas prone to destruction from hurricanes, and many of us, me included, have lost our homes and belongings. Any time they talk about cuts to NOAA, I get skittish. I'm thinking that you really aren't confused at all. it's pretty bogus to call out the administration of S2k. Also, if you lived in the southeast, you would never want cuts to anything that might protect your life and property.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”