Area of disturbed weather over the Gulf of Mexico

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

Area of disturbed weather over the Gulf of Mexico

#1 Postby Nimbus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:57 am

Looks like the tail end of the front has stalled near the Yucatan, could get a surface low if the shear moderates.
2 likes   

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Area of disturbed weather over the Gulf of Mexico

#2 Postby TexWx » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:25 am

Nimbus wrote:Looks like the tail end of the front has stalled near the Yucatan, could get a surface low if the shear moderates.

Yep.
0 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby lrak » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:25 pm

It looks like the GOM is starting up again with disturbed weather and it looks kinda fishy. :D Is the shear too high for anything to develop if the storms persist? I missed the last swell due my back (old man) and hoping for another chance next week.

Thanks
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Looking at visible satellite imagery there does appear to be a broad , very weak circulation about a couple hundred miles west-northwest of the Yucatan Peninsula. Definitely something to monitor, and I have not taken time yet to check the latest shear analysis today, but if shear is slackening a bit, and convection can increase a bit in that area, this system at the tail end of the trough may have a shot. Time will tell of course.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

bamajammer4eva
Category 4
Category 4

#5 Postby bamajammer4eva » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Latest Shear

1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:46 pm

:uarrow: Thanks Bama for posting. Shear still too strong over the GOM at this time. However, I just peeked a bit at the models and upper conditions could become more conducive for development in the BOC, Southern GOM. or NW Caribbean, looking beyond the next seven days .
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Steve » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Looks like from the surface plots that the surface trough is across the Central Gulf.
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/sfc/90fwbg.gif

My bet is a piece peels off of that and heads toward the coast (probably higher rain chances between Galveston and Panama City). A lot of times the detached moisture is in the form of thick clouds, but sometimes the rain will hold together. This is interrupting the flow, and you can see trade winds and what looks to be a mid level high nosing into the NW Caribbean and Southern Gulf on satellite. Look for generally higher chances of rainfall all along the Gulf with the instability. The piling up of surface energy east of where the current surface trough is (probably more toward Nicaragua or Honduras) should start happening mid week. Then it's what intersects with that monsoonal gyre and where as to potential blowups - be that consolidation in the East Pac, in the BofC or off the Central American coast. It's going to be an interesting week for early in the season.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”