Strong Tropical Wave WSW of CV Islands (INVEST 94L is up)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Strong Tropical Wave WSW of CV Islands

#301 Postby RL3AO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Maybe it'll come back to bite me, but I've become much more interested in this system over the last 24 hours. Gonna be a slow week, but after that. Watch out.
5 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#302 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:01 pm

I think all the models have this wave - just some show further development and some do not. So kudos to the GFS for sniffing it out first.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#303 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:07 pm

Kingarabian wrote:I think all the models have this wave - just some show further development and some do not. So kudos to the GFS for sniffing it out first.

Even the JMA model has it albeit weak.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#304 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:10 pm

I think the possible real reason the GFS and other models are all over the place with development or no development, and OTS or EC threat is we do not have a developed TC, let alone an invest or even a definite center. I bet once this becomes an invest(should within the next 24-48hrs.) the picture will start to become more clearer.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#305 Postby RL3AO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:12 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:I think the possible real reason the GFS and other models are all over the place with development or no development, and OTS or EC threat is we do not have a developed TC, let alone an invest or even a definite center. I bet once this becomes an invest(should within the next 24-48hrs.) the picture will start to become more clearer.

I think this reasoning is overplayed too much on here. There's no doubt models handle weaker systems worse than strong systems. However, there is an ever more well defined vorticity max that the Euro just plain dissipates in the next 24 hours.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#306 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:15 pm

RL3AO wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:I think the possible real reason the GFS and other models are all over the place with development or no development, and OTS or EC threat is we do not have a developed TC, let alone an invest or even a definite center. I bet once this becomes an invest(should within the next 24-48hrs.) the picture will start to become more clearer.

I think this reasoning is overplayed too much on here. There's no doubt models handle weaker systems worse than strong systems. However, there is an ever more well defined vorticity max that the Euro just plain dissipates in the next 24 hours.

Yeah, I too have become much more interested in this potential system since yesterday. I mean it's been nine years since we've seen a decent TC in the Atlantic in the month of July.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#307 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Past 7 runs from the GFS:

00z no development
06z no development
12z no initial development/weak development
18z development
00z development
06z no initial development/weak development
12z development
18z ???
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#308 Postby Hammy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:57 pm

cycloneye wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:I think all the models have this wave - just some show further development and some do not. So kudos to the GFS for sniffing it out first.

I think the JMA is significantly lower resolution, which is likely at least part of why it's weaker--it tends to do this with every system, even developed ones.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#309 Postby Alyono » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Hammy wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

I think the JMA is significantly lower resolution, which is likely at least part of why it's weaker--it tends to do this with every system, even developed ones.

tropical tidbits only has access to a 2.5 degree version of the model
0 likes   

hurricanetrack
HurricaneTrack.com
HurricaneTrack.com

#310 Postby hurricanetrack » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:36 pm

"while it moves generally westward at about 10 mph"

Say that to yourself a few times. Moving west at 10 mph....in early July. West. At. 10 mph. Wow! Remember the days (just recently too) of "moving west at 25 mph" and we all knew, yeah, that won't develop....

The winds of change have slowed in the deep tropics. And it's just July 2.
1 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#311 Postby blp » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:39 pm

The Ukmet is stronger than the 00z and continues to be among the most aggressive of models which is unusual for the UKmet which historically is conservative. Very intersting

2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#312 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:41 pm

18z GFS is rolling. Let's see if it becomes consistent or remains inconsistent.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#313 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:52 pm

18z coming in stronger as always. We were talking about this yesterday TheStormExpert.
1 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#314 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:53 pm

blp wrote:The Ukmet is stronger than the 00z and continues to be among the most aggressive of models which is unusual for the UKmet which historically is conservative. Very intersting

That is eye opening. Does it look like it is going OTS on the UKMET?
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#315 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:53 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:

18z coming in stronger as always. We were talking about this yesterday TheStormExpert.

Yeah much stronger.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#316 Postby AutoPenalti » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:54 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
blp wrote:The Ukmet is stronger than the 00z and continues to be among the most aggressive of models which is unusual for the UKmet which historically is conservative. Very intersting

That is eye opening. Does it look like it is going OTS on the UKMET?

It looks like it does.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#317 Postby AutoPenalti » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:54 pm

18z a little stronger this run
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#318 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:58 pm

18z operational GFS much stronger shy of the 40W longitude than past runs.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#319 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:02 pm

18z Para-GFS also much stronger this run.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#320 Postby AutoPenalti » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Would like to see how the ridge is his run.
0 likes   

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”