SATL: Brazilian disturbance (now just north of equator)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1 Postby RL3AO » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 am

6 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: SATL: Disturbance off Brazil Coast

#2 Postby terstorm1012 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:49 pm

this is neat. thanks!
bit out of season though, yes?
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Pretty low latitude. It actually reminds me of, along with 04L, twin tropical disturbances/cyclones that will occasionally develop in the Pacific with strong westerly wind bursts.
1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:57 pm

1900hurricane wrote:Pretty low latitude. It actually reminds me of, along with 04L, twin tropical disturbances/cyclones that will occasionally develop in the Pacific with strong westerly wind bursts.

2nd instance this year.

Calvin and Cindy in June as well due to a WWB.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5 Postby RL3AO » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
1900hurricane wrote:Pretty low latitude. It actually reminds me of, along with 04L, twin tropical disturbances/cyclones that will occasionally develop in the Pacific with strong westerly wind bursts.

2nd instance this year.

I think he was referring to systems on opposite sides of the equator. Happens with Equatorial Rossby waves in WPAC And Indian Ocean.
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:15 pm

RL3AO wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

2nd instance this year.

I think he was referring to systems on opposite sides of the equator. Happens with Equatorial Rossby waves in WPAC And Indian Ocean.

Oh that's interesting.

Then maybe TD04 and future Don will count since the WWB is still active.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 pm

RL3AO wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

2nd instance this year.

Yep, that is what I was referring to. I've seen Madden-Julian spawn hemispheric twins as well (such as with Pam and Bavi in March 2015), but I'm not quite sure if there is anything significant at play here, especially since the equatorial westerlies didn't really seem to extend into the Southern Hemisphere. It may just be coincidence (as you speculate in your own tweet), but the proximity of the two does make you wonder.

https://twitter.com/codyyeary/status/883104936304795649

0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby AJC3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:20 am

The weak remnant CW-rotating cyclonic low level vortex continues to move quickly northward, and as of 12Z, has actually crossed the equator. It's now what I like to call a "wrong-way" vortex centered at around 0.7N, 34W and headed toward the ITCZ and its demise.

Time-sensitive animation here... http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... height=480

Static Image with and without annotations...
2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: SATL: Brazilian disturbance (now just north of equator)

#9 Postby chaser1 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Nice loop. It's an interesting perturbation in and of itself. I'm curious if in the much broader picture, if this might be some indication of some greater than typical equatorial convergent flow enhancing tropical waves over the MDR this season?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”