Tropical Wave in Eastern Caribbean

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave WSW of Cabo Verde Islands

#801 Postby SFLcane » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Trigger happy model... as 57 mentioned earlier this morning not 1 ecmwf ensemble member showed development.
1 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#802 Postby stormlover2013 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Gfs is getting on my nerves
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#803 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Well at least the GFS Parallel showed minimum development at best so I'm sure it's a sigh of relief for NCEP.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#804 Postby LarryWx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Maybe the Goofy model is finally realizing that its weird backtracking MJO forecast has been wrong?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#805 Postby storminabox » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Given how persistent the the GFS has been, I'm surprised that it pretty much drops it completely.
0 likes   

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

#806 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Same here, so many runs and now very little. Lets see if the runs later tonight go back to showing a storm.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#807 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Miami Storm Tracker wrote:Same here, so many runs and now very little. Lets see if the runs later tonight go back to showing a storm.

That would be very GFS-esque.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#808 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Lol Europeans beat us again. As usual. América seems to be falling further behind. UK met and ECMWF seem light years ahead sometimes.
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#809 Postby LarryWx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:51 pm

With no hurricane, note how much warmer the 18Z GFS is for mid to late next week in the SE US with strong upper level ridging!
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#810 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Not trying to bash the developers of the model infrastructure but at this point are we still going to consider the GFS "world class"?
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#811 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:55 pm

storminabox wrote:Given how persistent the the GFS has been, I'm surprised that it pretty much drops it completely.

Its always wise to go with caution when a model is on its own without others to support. It's not a complete surprise given this condition.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#812 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:55 pm

The GFS Parallel did just fine folks. And that's what we'll be using next week.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#813 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Kingarabian wrote:The GFS Parallel did just fine folks. And that's what we'll be using next week.

This is true thanks for pointing that out I had forgotten.
1 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

#814 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:57 pm

There was a time when the GFS was consider a very good model comparable to the ERUO. How times have changed but I must admit with run after run showing development I allowed myself to get suckered in Lol.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#815 Postby LarryWx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Miami Storm Tracker wrote:There was a time when the GFS was consider a very good model comparable to the ERUO. How times have changed but I must admit with run after run showing development I allowed myself to get suckered in Lol.

IF the GFS brings it back, I predict it will once again sucker in a whole lot of people. ;)
1 likes   

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#816 Postby storminabox » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:08 pm

It looks like a pretty sizeable SAL outbreak is nearing the wave, so I guess it is no surprise that the GFS backed out developing it.
0 likes   

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

#817 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Gee thanks Larry.
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#818 Postby MetroMike » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:18 pm

storminabox wrote:It looks like a pretty sizeable SAL outbreak is nearing the wave, so I guess it is no surprise that the GFS backed out developing it.

That is not the reason why.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#819 Postby LarryWx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:25 pm

Miami Storm Tracker wrote:Gee thanks Larry.

Lol! Well, maybe not you, as you sound determined to avoid getting suckered in again. I didn't mean you or anyone in particular.

Let's see if it even brings it back. After having it so many runs in a row, that wouldn't be a surprise. Also, even if it does, there's no guarantee that the GFS would be wrong even though that would be likely if it still would be on its own.

Actually, I see that the 18Z GEFS mean still has it similar to the 12Z GEFS.
0 likes   

nativefloridian
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#820 Postby nativefloridian » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:36 pm

IMO....the models are too fickle to put any trust in them until there's something substantial for them to lock on to. Until then, I won't trust any run. One run a hurricane, another run a tropical storm, another run....nothing! It's become very frustrating to me. So I just sit on the sidelines and wait to see what happens down the road. I, for one, refuse to acknowledge any model runs until there's some meat behind it. Again, just my opinion....and thank you for letting me vent a little bit! :)
3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”