Disturbed weather in East/Central Atlantic

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AJC3
Admin
Admin

Re: Disturbed weather in East/Central Atlantic

#41 Postby AJC3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Has anyone noticed the vortex rollup with four evenly spaced low-mid level vortices to the NE of the stronger one near 8.5N 39W, with the other three near 10N 37W, 13N 32W and 15N 28W?

Pretty neat looking on visible satellite.
2 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby AtlanticWind » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:42 pm

I would think this would have been an invest by now.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm

AJC3 wrote:Has anyone noticed the vortex rollup with four evenly spaced low-mid level vortices to the NE of the stronger one near 8.5N 39W, with the other three near 10N 37W, 13N 32W and 15N 28W?

Pretty neat looking on visible satellite.

Yep I mentioned on the previous page :)

The funny part is a couple days ago i was joking around before DON was anything but the ITCZ. That I thought the entire monsoon trough was just going to start spitting out systems everywhere.. lol
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 pm

AtlanticWind wrote:I would think this would have been an invest by now.

It will be designated an invest very soon. This system will be the one to watch long term. Don will run into dry air and shear once it emerges into the Caribbean.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:10 pm

northjaxpro wrote:
AtlanticWind wrote:I would think this would have been an invest by now.

It will be designated an invest very soon. This system will be the one to watch long term. Don will run into dry air and shear once it emerges into the Caribbean.

i dont see this one be big player because shear and dry area big player will come in aug
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 pm

i surprise not invest nhc busy with don
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby otowntiger » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Looks like it is about to go poof- at least for the time being. Convection rapidly diminishing.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:12 pm

floridasun78 wrote:i surprise not invest nhc busy with don

I see no reason why this should be classified as an invest right now, there's no threat to land at the moment, there's no rush.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 pm

otowntiger wrote:Looks like it is about to go poof- at least for the time being. Convection rapidly diminishing.

I disagree. Convection will ignite again soon. This system will be around for awhile. Models have developed this in the next few days. I think will have 96L by Thursday at the latest.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby Hammy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 pm

northjaxpro wrote:
otowntiger wrote:Looks like it is about to go poof- at least for the time being. Convection rapidly diminishing.

I disagree. Convection will ignite again soon. This system will be around for awhile. Models have developed this in the next few days. I think will have 96L by Thursday at the latest.

Is this the same one the GFS runs from a few days ago were taking north of the Caribbean?
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Hammy wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:

Is this the same one the GFS runs from a few days ago were taking north of the Caribbean?

Yes, I believe so.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#52 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 pm

A tropical wave is centered over the tropical central Atlantic and
is producing limited showers and thunderstorms. Some gradual
development of this system is possible over the next few days while
it moves slowly toward the west-northwest or northwest at 10 to 15
mph.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby AtlanticWind » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:

I see no reason why this should be classified as an invest right now, there's no threat to land at the moment, there's no rush.

Deciding to make something an invest is nothing to do whether it is a threat to land
or how busy they are at the NHC.
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby Hammy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 pm

AtlanticWind wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

Deciding to make something an invest is nothing to do whether it is a threat to land
or how busy they are at the NHC.

I think if the development chances reach 40% that we'll probably see it declared an invest at that point.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#55 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:35 pm

As I pointed out a few posts ago, there has been model support for development the past couple of days, mainly the GFS. I think by Thursday this will be 96L. This system I believe will track north of the Caribbean. This system potentially could be one of these long Cape Verde tropical cyclones to traverse across the North Atlantic. We will be watching this one for quite some time to come.
2 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 pm

northjaxpro wrote:As I pointed out a few posts ago, there has been model support for development the past couple of days, mainly the GFS. I think by Thursday this will be 96L. This system I believe will track north of the Caribbean. This system potentially could be one of these long Cape Verde tropical cyclones to traverse across the North Atlantic. We will be watching this one for quite some time to come.

None of the reliable global models hold onto this more than just a few days (if that).
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:58 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:As I pointed out a few posts ago, there has been model support for development the past couple of days, mainly the GFS. I think by Thursday this will be 96L. This system I believe will track north of the Caribbean. This system potentially could be one of these long Cape Verde tropical cyclones to traverse across the North Atlantic. We will be watching this one for quite some time to come.

None of the reliable global models hold onto this more than just a few days (if that).

nor did those same models even see current TS DON. Models are by their name "model guidance" and are such only as useful as the coding and quality of the data inputed...
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 pm

I am sticking by my thoughts. I agree with NHC with this system. Slow gradual development potentially over the next 2 to 3 days.
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 pm

The environment out ahead of it looks extremely rough. This is likely why models are less enthusiastic about this then they were 24hrs. ago. I know models sometimes tend to get things wrong or miss things but you have an abundance amount of SAL and Dry Air along with Wind Shear.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Fego
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby Fego » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 am

If I'm in the right topic, this wave is now Invest 96L.

0 likes   
Go Giants! Go Niners! Go Warriors!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”