Low over Southern Georgia

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Low over Southern Georgia

#1 Postby lrak » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:00 am

It looks like it has a good spin and is firing some convection in the Atlantic. Would this low be able to go into the GOM or the Atlantic and form a depression? Vorticity map has a big red spot in that location? Shear doesn't look too bad either.

I checked the pressure around that area and it's really high :oops: At least it's spinning and something to watch :cheesy:

Current location

31.8/82.6
1 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Low over Southern Georgia

#2 Postby CFLHurricane » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:58 pm

It's certainly the most cyclonic action close to home we've seen in a while. While it probably won't do anything, it also wouldn't surprise me if this is one that surprises the models as well.

Surprises for everyone! :lol:
1 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

marionstorm
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby marionstorm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Is there anyplace where I can see archived radar of the recent past? Like the last six hours instead of just an hour?
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Steve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:48 pm

marionstorm wrote:Is there anyplace where I can see archived radar of the recent past? Like the last six hours instead of just an hour?

I think Intellicast has something like that, but it only goes back the previous 2 hours. I'm sure you can find something.
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:54 am

Actually, this has become an interesting feature these past couple of days. This has been a small, yet persistent area of convection just off the Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia coastal area since Monday. It appears that this is on the tail end of weak trough situated just off the Southeast U.S. Atlantic. seaboard.

Now, there is no model support for this area, and surface pressures currently are quite high at this time. I am not anticipating any development from this feature, but it is something to just keep a wary eye on just in case, only because of this feature's close proximity to my area.

I will say that if this area continues to persist, sometimes we see trough splits occur, and every once in a while, this type of set up can spawn homegrown cyclones, especially off the SE U.S.coast. Keep an eye on it.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#6 Postby tolakram » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:19 am

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Fishing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Fishing » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:36 am

0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Nimbus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 am

This is the same frontal boundary that went stationary and is now being reinforced.
Tail end of the front is actually off the west coast of Florida but there are frequently more than on impulses along stalled fronts this time of year.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”