Another GOM Disturbance

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Another GOM Disturbance

#61 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:19 pm

A second vort is developing to the NE of that eddy. the CMC actually shows the lobe off to the NE that eventually develops the most vorticity.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#62 Postby Dean4Storms » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:A second vort is developing to the NE of that eddy. the CMC actually shows the lobe off to the NE that eventually develops the most vorticity.

But into very dry air!
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#63 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Dean4Storms wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:A second vort is developing to the NE of that eddy. the CMC actually shows the lobe off to the NE that eventually develops the most vorticity.

But into very dry air!

yes also the stalled front will be lifting north... notice the big surge of moisture from the south and convection building to the NE ? .. its has plenty to draw from.. shear is the big factors.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby stormreader » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Steve wrote:
stormreader wrote:
bamajammer4eva wrote:Would this move Eastward along the front like Emily did or with the front expected to retreat Northward, could it affect people further north?

That's the question. I don't see much movement in the area at this point. If this system does persist it may have detached from the old frontal flow (ENE). Thus a normal climo scenario might mean a NW or NNW movement for a system organizing in that location. Let's just see if it persists.

There is a large upper low over the Great Lakes in a couple of days that will bring another boundary down that will probably wash out. Still there will be SW winds that should start cranking ahead of it. I can only see ENE or E toward Florida if that upper low ends up as forecast.

Thanks for that info. I should have figured as much. Fronts often coming in two's about a week apart. Guessing that the configuration of the jet stream holds for that amount of time to bring another mass of air down.
0 likes   

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby Stormcenter » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Area to look at for any "possible" development is south of SE LA/MS/AL coastline. IMO

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/h5-loop-vis.html
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby Nimbus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:46 pm

That area spit out one eddy earlier and now further south you can see some rotation where the high clouds have blown off. Shear doesn't look quite as formidable further south and may ease further as the frontal zone weakens.

The new spin is partially visible further west of the eddy under the mid level clouds (almost stationary ATM).
Last edited by Nimbus on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#67 Postby stormhunter7 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:54 pm

The little spin on the left side?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:08 pm

well look at that.. convection building in towards the center of that eddy may tuen out to be more than just a swirl with that type of convective pattern.. .... interesting interesting..
3 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:well look at that.. convection building in towards the center of that eddy may tuen out to be more than just a swirl with that type of convective pattern.. .... interesting interesting..

Yep, looks well defined. Just needs to sustain convection and build convergence. Could be something if shear doesn't own it!
2 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:well look at that.. convection building in towards the center of that eddy may tuen out to be more than just a swirl with that type of convective pattern.. .... interesting interesting..

Yes, convection and moisture will lift back northward going forward as this old decaying frontal boundary lifts north in tandem.

This will help to moisten the environment, especially beginning tomorrow. If the shear can relax just a little bit more, tomorrow may be when this disturbed area may begin to get cranking.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby floridasun78 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:46 pm

i don't see any thing come this area only rain gulf coast it unlikely nhc say any thing bout this area any time soon
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:49 pm

floridasun78 wrote:i don't see any thing come this area only rain gulf coast it unlikely nhc say any thing bout this area any time soon

So you feel the shear will win? I aint going to disagree but this is the most interesting area to watch over the next 72-120 hours.
1 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby floridasun78 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Sciencerocks wrote:
floridasun78 wrote:i don't see any thing come this area only rain gulf coast it unlikely nhc say any thing bout this area any time soon

So you feel the shear will win? I aint going to disagree but this is the most interesting area to watch over the next 72-120 hours.

i do it will need fight shear
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:09 pm

quite few decent hot towers firing off over the center and along that band. maybe a mention at 8pm..
0 likes   

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby Emmett_Brown » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:28 pm

It's kind of forming before our eyes, assuming that small tight spiral and new convection continues to grow. That's a very compact and circular spin.
3 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby GCANE » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Looks like the swirl is at about 27.0N 87.5W
It came out of a high CAPE area with decent moisture column.
I like the convection its firing.
Keeping a close eye on it.
1 likes   

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#77 Postby stormhunter7 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Feeling is the ULL in TX will continue to send shear over this are in GOM?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby Nimbus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:36 pm

About the size of a large water spout but it does have some convection reforming.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#79 Postby GCANE » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Pretty strong increase in vort last few hours.

1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Its also small enough that if dry/shear casue a large enough collapse of the convection it could just blow apart..
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”