Why Models Matter

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Why Models Matter

#1 Postby OuterBanker » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:39 am

As everyone knows there are countless discussions on which model is best. Most (myself included) believe the Euro is the superior product. Some are ardent GFS supporters. There are countless upgrades which cause countless conversations. The bantering is part of the fun and entertainment found here. But, on a more serious note they are becoming more important every year. The US population is over 300 million now with many more people opting to live near our shores. I feel that the mitigation aspect of the models is the most important aspect of the models. It takes time to evacuate. It takes time to move goods where they will be needed (it’s why there are more generators and plywood at Lowes and pallets of water and beer at your local grocer). With the large corporations consolidating their distribution centers it now requires more advance time. The models and their accuracy becomes ever more important. One final note of caution though. Last year taught me a valuable lesson. I as well as everyone else in North Carolina pretty much relied on the models last year. All the models had Matthew turning away from the NC coast in which we all breathed a sigh of relief. No preparation was done. It turned out as one of the worst disasters in eastern NC history. I wound up with a foot of water in my home and 160k in damage. I think I’ll change to the Boy Scout motto “Be Prepared”
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Why Models Matter

#2 Postby HurricaneBelle » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:21 pm

So to sum up, models - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”