Low in SE Texas

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

Low in SE Texas

#1 Postby CFLHurricane » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:15 am

This low appears on the (awesome) GOES 16 feed to be dropping further south than the surface chart seems to forecast. Possible Gulf threat?
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Low in SE Texas

#2 Postby lrak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:35 pm

I've been watching it all day and I found in SE Texas a NE wind, SW wind, calm wind in the middle of the rotation, and a N wind. Also it has pushed thunderstorms offshore and not due to outflow boundaries? Emily part-deux?

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?pro ... x&loop=yes yet the lowest pressure I could find was 29.95.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:00 pm

It is a 1012 mb non tropical Low Pressure area located near Galveston on a stationary frontal boundary . No development anticipated for the time being.

0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby lrak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 pm

"No development anticipated for the time being." I like that last sentence it gives us something to watch. Thanks for the nice map!
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:50 pm

I will note that Flash Flood Watch in effect through tomorrow for much of Southeast TX region and rightfully so as Low Pressure area is just sitting there basically stationary, along with the frontal boundary. All that converging moisture in that region.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby lrak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes I watched a video today of the flooding. Very bad situation, and I'm afraid if this moves a little closer to the coast even more moisture :eek:

The radar is looking like something wants free from the frontal boundary.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Steve » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:18 pm

lrak wrote:Yes I watched a video today of the flooding. Very bad situation, and I'm afraid if this moves a little closer to the coast even more moisture :eek:

I hope not. We've had 3 flash flood warnings (including #3 at the moment) in the last 2 weeks and have been nowhere as wet as 3-400 miles east of here. It's cost us 2 flooded cars out of 3 but luckily just mildewed floors and not flooded engines. There are apparently 8 broken pumping stations at the moment waiting on parts. That's probably not ideal heading into the beginning of the middle of August. I don't want to be on the east side of any low be it tropical or otherwise.

NAM doesn't do much with it. 12km shows another low dropping down from the Northern Rockies over the next couple of days - more toward Arkansas though. That could be the feature that enforces the front on the east coast and hopefully helps 99L recurve. HRR does show continued rains for Lake Charles and the Triangle over the next 18 hours, so y'all be careful over that way.
1 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby lrak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Steve wrote:
lrak wrote:Yes I watched a video today of the flooding. Very bad situation, and I'm afraid if this moves a little closer to the coast even more moisture :eek:

I hope not. We've had 3 flash flood warnings (including #3 at the moment) in the last 2 weeks and have been nowhere as wet as 3-400 miles east of here. It's cost us 2 flooded cars out of 3 but luckily just mildewed floors and not flooded engines. There are apparently 8 broken pumping stations at the moment waiting on parts. That's probably not ideal heading into the beginning of the middle of August. I don't want to be on the east side of any low be it tropical or otherwise.

NAM doesn't do much with it though 12km shows another low dropping down from the Northern Rockies over the next couple of days. That could be the feature that enforces the front on the east coast and hopefully helps 99L recurve. HRR does show continued rains for Lake Charles and the Triangle over the next 18 hours, so y'all be careful over that way.

Wow, glad the engines didn't get hit but mildew - only Clorox and some water mixed in a spray bottle - is your best bet with no drying in the up coming days. Good luck.
1 likes   
AKA karl

Also

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby lrak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 pm

some interesting weather reporting stations. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=ncht2 Offshore - http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42035

I hope this dissipates. Just west of the triangle they've received close to 6 inches based off Doppler radar.

Also convection has been on the increase and the virga has also increased to the west of Houston's radar which may indicate a larger disturbance?

It's about 10:15 pm and the virga now has a new cell starting up, this could get messy. Also when the virga hits the coast it starts to produce convection. :eek:
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby lrak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:51 pm

0 likes   
AKA karl

Also

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”